LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

What next on my lt1

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2012, 10:39 AM
9 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

^ what pat said.........take you're time.....learn.....plan.......plan again.....plan one more time......then build.......rome wasn't built in a day bud........and yea alot of those b-bodys are real impressive pat thats a whole lotta weight to be pushing down the track....
Old 01-27-2012, 10:57 AM
11 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by MasterTomos
If 11's is what you're after-full bolt ons, ported factory heads/intake/cam, fuel pump, injectors, stall, and suspension mods will get you there. You should be in the 400rwhp range with that setup.

And if you buy a quality converter like a Yank, Circle D, or Vigilante brand, they say you can't even tell there is an aftermarket stall until you hammer on it, even with stalls as high as 3600. Buy a $200 autozone special, and this won't be the case.

Also, have your heads/intake ported by someone that knows what they're doing, like Elliot Portworks or Advance Inductions

Please explain the statement highlighted.
The Edelbrock's own advertizing numbers are 396flywheel HP for their full kit. The OP says "redone heads" he did not say ported, so what about his setup is allowing the Edelbrock cam, the only real "performance" piece make more rear wheel HP than Edelbrock says it can make at the flywheel?
Here a magazine did it is just the first hit on Google.
http://www.popularhotrodding.com/eng...e/viewall.html a blistering 281rwhp from their heads and cam. I will say I think that number is low even for the crappy parts used the OP's car likely makes more but 400rwhp is not in the realm of possible.

This should be a lesson to the OP about how VERY often those telling you what you want to hear might just be nice and not know what the hell they are talking about.
Old 01-27-2012, 11:15 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 96capricemgr
Please explain the statement highlighted.
The Edelbrock's own advertizing numbers are 396flywheel HP for their full kit. The OP says "redone heads" he did not say ported, so what about his setup is allowing the Edelbrock cam, the only real "performance" piece make more rear wheel HP than Edelbrock says it can make at the flywheel?
Here a magazine did it is just the first hit on Google.
http://www.popularhotrodding.com/eng...e/viewall.html a blistering 281rwhp from their heads and cam. I will say I think that number is low even for the crappy parts used the OP's car likely makes more but 400rwhp is not in the realm of possible.

This should be a lesson to the OP about how VERY often those telling you what you want to hear might just be nice and not know what the hell they are talking about.
I was in reference to the setup I was talking about, not OP's car with an edelbrock cam. If I'm not mistaken, there have been cars with 400rwhp with ported heads/cam from AI, LE ect. OP was talking about a "max effort" build so I was assuming an agressive cam (possibly SR) would be spec'd and built by someone at Ai or somewhere else competant.

Originally Posted by MasterTomos
If 11's is what you're after-full bolt ons, ported factory heads/intake/cam, fuel pump, injectors, stall, and suspension mods will get you there. You should be in the 400rwhp range with that(<should have specified I was in reference to the one I mentioned, not OP's) setup.

Last edited by MasterTomos; 01-27-2012 at 11:23 AM.
Old 01-27-2012, 11:27 AM
11 Second Club

I see what you were saying now.

Thing is everyone believes any heads/cam upgrade equals an automatic 400rwhp and that withing those actual proven results things are equal.

Up into the 420-430rwhp range has been repeatedly documented with stock shortblocks and even among those there is not equality because some setups exhibit a lot more area under the curve and lowend.

I would be surprised if the OP's setup makes 330rwhp I believe it is lower than that.
Old 01-27-2012, 11:48 AM
TECH Junkie

Thing is everyone believes any heads/cam upgrade equals an automatic 400rwhp and that withing those actual proven results things are equal.

Up into the 420-430rwhp range has been repeatedly documented with stock shortblocks and even among those there is not equality because some setups exhibit a lot more area under the curve and lowend.

I would be surprised if the OP's setup makes 330rwhp I believe it is lower than that.
You're right, It's annoying that everyone thinks that just any heads/cam combo will make 400hp. It's possible, but obviously not the norm or average. The only thing holding OP back from 400rwhp with a proper H/C/I setup would obviously be the stalled auto and upgraded rear end if he choses to do those things.
Old 01-27-2012, 12:11 PM
9 Second Club

not to mention the fact that dyno numbers are frickin useless in a stalled auto geared car never the less any other car..........dynos are a tuning tool....car should be designed with operating rpm range in mind and weight/tq/hp to get it to move quickly........last dyno i was on with my car told me i made a whopping 427rwhp @ 7450rpm and made that 425rwhp out to 8000rpm......i was told that it was an "accurate measurement unlike other dynos"......apparently physics changes in that building and my 427rwhp pushes my 3300lb magic camaro to 135mph+ trap speeds........i think not......

i know i just ranted but i had to get that out there before we start talking "rwhp" dyno numbers.......
Old 01-27-2012, 12:20 PM
11 Second Club

That is true and I should have added that to my comments about two different 400rwhp setups are not necessarily equal.
The Impala with the converted Donovan block says he has a 400rwhp graph from back when his full weight car was running I think mid 9s at low to mid 140s in the quarter.

I don't know what my car makes at the tire what I do know is that what it runs at the track suggests it is a nice number likely in excess of 400rwhp. The MPH is not great but the converter builder told me he was trading mph for the hard launch so I am fine with it.
Old 01-27-2012, 12:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

.... trading mph for the hard launch ....
psssst..... you can have both!
Right, Mikey ?
Old 01-27-2012, 12:58 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by bowtienut
Right, Mikey ?
nahhhhhhhhhhhhh. .............cant be done

wait till the big boy converter is in it and i get the heads back .........im thinking another late year cecil trip for a 140mph trap

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ep4vV6aYi4w
Old 01-27-2012, 01:42 PM
12 Second Club

OP in the spring get your car to the track and see what it does. It is unrealistic to throw out numbers like "it should do 11s or 10s" by guessing based on your engine build. It takes alot of practice and skill to hustle a car down the track to it's max potential. Once you get some baseline times you'll have a good foundation with which to judge future changes.
Old 01-27-2012, 03:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

If i was in your shoes and spent the money on the current motor build i would make the best of it untill you max out the potential of it. Yeah you probably spent alot of cash for little performance but its done and you didnt know alot at the time no big deal. That being said i would personally have the trans built, quality 3600 stall, and 3.73s. This will drastically make a difference in the car and can be utilized with the new engine. This should buy you probubly a year or so to save up and build the motor you want to build. Seems like your have a decently built bottom so i would look into a full h/c/i AI 200cc package to get the most power out of the build if thats what your after. This is IMO the route you should take!
Old 01-27-2012, 04:17 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by bowtienut
Right, Mikey ?

This is true, the converter is pretty old now(they constantly improve) and was on the "budget" end of the scale. I am certain a new converter could help and the extra few hundred for a Yank vs. the Edge would help a little more.

At the stage I am at though I have left well enough alone though because I am teetering on needing a rollbar in positive DA weather as is and when a car is ugly like mine they watch the tech more closely. When one is pretty like your's they seem to assume it is mechanically just as nice. The tech guy remembers the car and every time I go points out how any faster and I need a whole slug of safety gear. Not ready for that yet.
Old 01-27-2012, 06:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

.... because I am teetering on needing a rollbar in positive DA weather as is and when a car is ugly like mine they watch the tech more closely. When one is pretty like your's they seem to assume it is mechanically just as nice. ......
Yeah that rollbar thing sucks for 4-dr post cars like ours that already offer as much rollover protection as a bar. I don't know if that "pretty" thing is buying me much It all depends on which track and what type of event they're running. What's interesting is that the ones that give me crap are the same ones that are negligent/lazy/cheap about track prep and have the most cars getting out of shape.

Quick Reply: What next on my lt1