LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Thunderchicken w/ Advanced Induction 21deg CNC'd TFS Heads & HR Dyno Results

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2012, 10:56 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I wondered what had happened to Thunderchicken, I haven't heard much from him lately. Glad to know he's busy with his car.
Old 01-29-2012, 10:57 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by SS RRR
You still trying to be funny? I have been running a mild SR cam for the last 5 years trouble free. Same springs too. I thank God I have a garage to put my ornament in... you are really going to say I have a garage ornament?
I honestly forgot you were SR, just remembered it was a mild cam. It was almost 2am when I posted that.

I edited it just for you.
Old 01-29-2012, 12:26 PM
Village Troll

Received 530 Likes on 382 Posts

I haven't made any concrete plans on what I want to do. I want to get a 10 second slip out of what I have and think it's a possibility on the right day. Car needs a paint job as well. I've always intended to put the bottle on this motor. Maybe that's next... I dunno...
Old 01-29-2012, 04:40 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Advanced Induction
Thought you guys might like this. I was sorting through some of the results guys have emailed in and realized that I never posted this up.

It is a 397cid LT1
Ai CNC'd 21deg TFS Heads
Ai Hydraulic Roller Camshaft
Ai Street/Strip Ported GM LT1 Manifold
M6, 12-bolt, 4.11's
12:1 on 92/93 Octane

The car previously had another brand ported LT head, LT manifold, and HR cam & with the old setup put down 433rwhp. The new top-end put up gained from all the way down at 2500rpm when the pulls started (it was up 40-50lb/ft at ~2700).

V8Muscle has a run down on the car specs prior to the top-end swap here

Worth noting, the roughness of the graph is due to not applying dynojet's curve smoothing. Most of the graphs presented online are shown w/ max smoothing applied to make them more presentable.

Hope you guys like it!

-Phil
Phil that's bad ***. You always keep raising the bar with your products. Glad to see the Thunder chicken back out and running. Last time I saw it was when I beat it at the 2010 LTX shootout on a hole shot. I love that car.
Old 01-29-2012, 07:24 PM
10 Second Club

^^^^

Yes you did Frank.
Old 01-30-2012, 10:44 AM
9 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by BADHAWK51
^^^^

Yes you did Frank.
i remember that from 2010 lol

heres a video of the car incar from the 10 shootout.....i remembered racing im and sure enough i was in the video....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hoD1C...ure=plpp_video
Old 01-30-2012, 05:25 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by quik95lt1
i remember that from 2010 lol

heres a video of the car incar from the 10 shootout.....i remembered racing im and sure enough i was in the video....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hoD1C...ure=plpp_video
Show off !! you just wanted everyone to see you putting bus lengths on ThunderChicken. lol Nice vid Mike.

I wonder where Alan has been hiding ? doesn't he check the forums anymore I'm hoping he did all this work to come back to the shootout we missed him last year.

Last edited by BADHAWK51; 01-30-2012 at 05:30 PM.
Old 01-30-2012, 08:24 PM
9 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Show off !! you just wanted everyone to see you putting bus lengths on ThunderChicken. lol Nice vid Mike.

I wonder where Alan has been hiding ? doesn't he check the forums anymore I'm hoping he did all this work to come back to the shootout we missed him last year.
nahhhh........different class lol........i remember watching the video and being like man that looks like a really fun car to drive.....hammerin gears..........im excited to see what it does now with the added ponies....
Old 01-31-2012, 08:53 AM
TECH Resident

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Nice numbers! I plan on building a similar setup, 396 with AI 21* Heads, cam, and ported intake combo, but with 14-14.5 CR and E85. This gives me a great idea what to look forward to!
Old 01-31-2012, 08:54 AM
FormerVendor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Smile

Originally Posted by Wicked94Z
As rarely as it happens, I agree with SSRRR that the LPE heads would have done better without a nitrous grind in there. 236/248 on a 110 is going to be lazy on 396 cubes with an LTx manifold. Yes the H/C package made impressive gains, but I'm sure that stock casting LPE head could have made 450+ with a properly packaged camshaft. To say a 236/248 XE grind is as close to optimal as your camshaft doesn't inspire much confidence

Did your heads do great? YES! But lets not disguise the previous combination as "thoroughly developed" and imply your heads will bolt on 40-45 rwhp with no changes. As for a question... what's the Min CSA on the 21* head?
You imply a car that has had more vetted & skilled hands on it than the overwhelming majority of LT cars simply hasn't in your estimation, and continue to assert your naivety by attempting to discuss cams by making assumptions based on #'s anyone with experience knows are the least meaningful.

I don't have to imply my cylinder head alone will put up huge gains over many others - it has been repeatedly proven over the years.

Originally Posted by fergymoto
LOL @ the internet cylinder head and camshaft experts.

Nice job as usual Phil. I am going to be needing some stuff for a motor that I am building for a friend in a few weeks or so. I'll get a hold of you when he is ready
I'm around, text or email. I hadn't seen the new car - that's killer!

Originally Posted by pillarpod
are you kidding me
No.

I had considered a budget cnc work deal to port the version of the head that TFS sells, but don't care to put my $ into it. If 6 or 8 guys got together and sent in a $500-1k deposit I'd take the time to develop a program for them. It'd likely end up at $1k or so total for labor.

Originally Posted by Puck
Can't say how much was due to a cam swap, but their is no denying that the combo as a whole, as provided by AI, definitely works.
Thanks, but that question has been answered in my previous post.

Originally Posted by fergymoto
There's no such thing as a nasty hydraulic roller
Some people call them nasty, some people call them stupid. When talking about street cars, it is hilarious what guys try to do.

Originally Posted by IronOutlaw
I wonder what is different between the version you guys have and the one AI gets. I was planning on buying the cast version but now that I read this I may either just wait until I can afford the ported ones or just stick with factory castings.
All of our aftermarket heads are based on bare castings to reduce the existing machine work I have to work around.

Originally Posted by hvyss
Phil that's bad ***. You always keep raising the bar with your products. Glad to see the Thunder chicken back out and running. Last time I saw it was when I beat it at the 2010 LTX shootout on a hole shot. I love that car.
Thanks, glad you like it, Frank!

Mike has a video for everything. Last I spoke w/ Alan he was quite busy.
Old 01-31-2012, 10:16 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Thanks, but that question has been answered in my previous post.
Honest question, you really think only ~10-15hp was from the cam swap? XE lobes are very mild, surely the cam you specced is using quite a bit more aggressive lobes? (I'm not asking about them, I understand from a business stand point you can't talk about the lobes you use and spec...which would be way more insightful information then just knowing the duration @50). It also has a more favorable NA split, quite a bit more lift, and a healthy amount of duration. I can't imagine your larger, modern custom cam NOT making a sizable difference both under the curve and @ peak over the old lazy XE lobed 236/248 grind that clearly wasn't specced for big NA power on a stroker.

Like I said, it doesn't really matter since you provided a bolt-on PACKAGE that eliminates the trial and error, and the proof is right there that it works as a whole...I just feel you are selling yourself short on the benefits of a modern, properly specced camshaft.
Old 01-31-2012, 06:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If 6 or 8 guys got together and sent in a $500-1k deposit I'd take the time to develop a program for them. It'd likely end up at $1k or so total for labor
i don't even think 8 guys own these heads
Old 02-01-2012, 05:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Very nice, nearly 500 RWHP on a HR cam with 12:1 compression. Thanks for posting.
Old 02-01-2012, 06:40 PM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I know of 4 on this board that post pretty regularly right off the top of my head. There are plenty of LT1's running around who don't post on forums we never hear about as well with Tax season coming around I'm sure there might be people who are running them as cast who would love to get them ported but if there is no money to be made like the AI rep said no reason to develop the program.

This is more than likely the route I will go down the road and with awesome results like AI always puts out seems like the way to go
Old 02-01-2012, 07:06 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I have a set on the way........ They are getting more popular.
Old 02-05-2012, 12:46 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 25 Likes on 13 Posts

Are the stock piston valve reliefs enough to clear the valves with these heads? Probably wouldn't gain much with this swap anyway. Maybe 5hp.

Last edited by Rob94hawk; 02-05-2012 at 12:52 AM.
Old 02-05-2012, 04:12 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by transbird95
They are getting more popular.
Yes they are. But you still need X amount of people to buy these heads. Because out of the X amount that have them, only a Y amount are then maybe want to get them ported.
Old 02-05-2012, 07:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

then out of the amount of Y, there Z amount that pick AI to port their heads
Old 02-08-2012, 08:11 AM
10 Second Club

man have i been asleep or something to miss all this fun?

I've got a lot going on but will say that there was a dyno pull after that one that did make 504rwhp. The stuff works.

Thanks for all the compliments. Car does have quite a history.

The only detail i will leave you is this setup ran 11.17 with some real issues. That is what i'm working on now.
Old 02-08-2012, 08:47 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Yes they are. But you still need X amount of people to buy these heads. Because out of the X amount that have them, only a Y amount are then maybe want to get them ported.
I wasn't trying to start a fight or anything, still not sure what you are getting at. I'd bet this thread has plenty of people thinking about it already.

Quick Reply: Thunderchicken w/ Advanced Induction 21deg CNC'd TFS Heads & HR Dyno Results