LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Thunderchicken w/ Advanced Induction 21deg CNC'd TFS Heads & HR Dyno Results

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2012, 05:00 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by alan2000T/A
man have i been asleep or something to miss all this fun?

I've got a lot going on but will say that there was a dyno pull after that one that did make 504rwhp. The stuff works.

Thanks for all the compliments. Car does have quite a history.

The only detail i will leave you is this setup ran 11.17 with some real issues. That is what i'm working on now.
Alan glad your still out lurking around. You get the bugs worked out and that thing is going to be a beast.
Old 02-08-2012, 06:11 PM
11 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think there is a lot of potential in these heads, or anything 21* for that matter, I wonder what an all out LT1 with these and a good matching solid roller and single plane would do???
Old 02-08-2012, 07:03 PM
10 Second Club

man have i been asleep or something to miss all this fun?

I've got a lot going on but will say that there was a dyno pull after that one that did make 504rwhp. The stuff works.

Thanks for all the compliments. Car does have quite a history.

The only detail i will leave you is this setup the ran 11.17 with some real issues. That is what i'm working on now.

Alan, welcome to your own thread The numbers look great I'm hoping you can make it back to shootout me and Frank will still be gunning for ya just hope we have enough to see you in the finals.
Old 02-09-2012, 08:04 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by hvyss
Alan glad your still out lurking around. You get the bugs worked out and that thing is going to be a beast.

Originally Posted by BADHAWK51
Alan, welcome to your own thread The numbers look great I'm hoping you can make it back to shootout me and Frank will still be gunning for ya just hope we have enough to see you in the finals.

Jeff, you and Frank make the LT1 world proud, that's for sure.
Old 02-09-2012, 08:33 AM
9 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

love to see this car back at the shootout......i think the ES/NA class would have some realllll good racing with thunderchicken in the mix
Old 02-09-2012, 02:29 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Birdie2000
Awesome #'s! Love the torque down low. How is the drivability? Is that through the same exhaust and with the cutout open or closed?
dropped the single 3" and cutout and went to dual 3" w/ H pipe and turndowns on this setup.
Old 02-09-2012, 02:30 PM
TECH Resident

dropped the single 3" and cutout and went to dual 3" w/ H pipe and turndowns on this setup.
Cool cool, what mufflers are you running? Also, how's the drivability with that engine and the 6 speed, any surging?

Thanks!
Old 02-09-2012, 03:24 PM
11 Second Club

Wow very nice numbers!
Old 02-09-2012, 04:03 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by 95mysticta
That car has always been a favourite of mine if its the same car im thinking of which is a 93 Yellow Formula? Ran 10.98 if not faster iirc when he made the compilation he made on youtube. I guess we'll be seeing some more results from him this year when he goes to the track with it!
When its all together you bet i'll be at the track. I've had the car since 03 i think and its been fun for sure. That 10.98 you refer to was run w/ a stripped interior the winter i was putting new carpet in it. Decided since it was out...let's go racing! That was on 26" ET Drags w/ no tubes and the muffler cut off leaving the straight pipe over the axle.

Originally Posted by pancho toco loco
Many many moons ago I missed the chance to buy this car when Johnny Hunkins had it. He was selling that and the 88 formula at the time. Both were Gmhightech project cars. Hard top, crank windons no options. True muscle car.. That car is a tank.
Yup, i believe its a leather wrapped steering wheel and an oil cooler away from a true 1LE car. Its a keeper for sure. Johnny actually ended up selling it to one of his buddies named Marv. Marv kept it only for a couple of months and i ended up with it on a trade for my 00 T/A. I have kept in touch with Johnny since then. The car has made cameo appearances in Johnny's mags several times in the last few years plus the LTX Shootout stuff in GMHTP mag. Seems to live on forever.

Originally Posted by flyinZ
I wondered what had happened to Thunderchicken, I haven't heard much from him lately. Glad to know he's busy with his car.
basically worked my butt off on it all of 2011. Taking a break at the moment actually coaching two basketball teams, 1 in scouts, 1 starting baseball...priorities priorities.

Originally Posted by hvyss
Phil that's bad ***. You always keep raising the bar with your products. Glad to see the Thunder chicken back out and running. Last time I saw it was when I beat it at the 2010 LTX shootout on a hole shot. I love that car.
you know...no way i'm going to come out of this post w/o whining. That run against you mentally screwed me way up. All day i had been limping that blown clutch and had a rythm down...in the right lane. Well...line up against the bada$$ Ai equipped Impy and despite supposed lane choice they stuck me in the left lane for the first time ALL day. On the vid you can see i all but snored at the line.

But...couldn't have lost to a better guy! And Phil if you're reading this...Frank is the reason i dumped my life's savings at Advanced Induction in 2011!!! Thank him.

^^^^

Yes you did Frank.
thanks for the reminder LOL

Originally Posted by Birdie2000
Cool cool, what mufflers are you running? Also, how's the drivability with that engine and the 6 speed, any surging?

Thanks!
The exhaust is basically the same as the vids posted by my colleagues earlier. Same single chamber Flowmaster and true duals. I had changed exhaust before the new motor. Actually went to true duals the weekend before the 2010 LTX Shootout.

Bullets fit way better, but single chambers just sound w/ the true duals and X or H. You can hear it good in those vids.

Drivability is no problem...but i'm used to driving a big cam M6. You can't let off the clutch and expect it to cruise at 3mph, but you can certiainly roll and let it idle through a parking lot. I think the tune has a lot to do with it. With the old motor i drove it daily for a while between dedicated daily drivers and that cam was no less likely to jump than the new one.
Old 02-09-2012, 04:13 PM
TECH Apprentice

Alan thanks for the compliment but all I was trying to do was help you make a bad *** car even BADDER
Old 02-09-2012, 05:37 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 1SlowFormula
I think there is a lot of potential in these heads, or anything 21* for that matter, I wonder what an all out LT1 with these and a good matching solid roller and single plane would do???
there a little small for a big inch combo. 21* is good but a 18* or less would be the way go for a all out race combination.
Old 02-09-2012, 09:37 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by BIGCAT7274
there a little small for a big inch combo. 21* is good but a 18* or less would be the way go for a all out race combination.
True, but I was thinking of a lt1 spesific head, the best I have seen is 21*, I agree though if I was going through the effort to convert headds it would not be anything more than 18*, but I am personally thinking of staying with an LT spesific casting...
Old 02-09-2012, 10:16 PM
10 Second Club

run against you mentally screwed me way up. All day i had been limping that blown clutch and had a rythm down...in the right lane. Well...line up against the bada$$ Ai equipped Impy and despite supposed lane choice they stuck me in the left lane for the first time ALL day. On the vid you can see i all but snored at the line.

But...couldn't have lost to a better guy! And Phil if you're reading this...Frank is the reason i dumped my life's savings at Advanced Induction in 2011!!! Thank him.

thanks for the reminder LOL

Alan, Don't get down on yourself for that one mistake because you can drive the hell out of that six speed. I was proud to get the opportunity to race you.

This is one of my favorite pics of your car.

Old 02-09-2012, 10:30 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

True, but I was thinking of a lt1 spesific head, the best I have seen is 21*, I agree though if I was going through the effort to convert headds it would not be anything more than 18*, but I am personally thinking of staying with an LT spesific casting...
IIRC AI said they don't have the porting potential of their traditional TFS packages, so they still recommend the 23* TFS package for their serious stroker setups. As far as gen2 specific heads go, AI TFS heads or ported AFRs would probably be the go-to castings for most...although there are some nice CNC'd Dart heads floating around, and Brodix will convert any head they make into reverse cooled for you from the factory for $400.

The 21* TFS are badass heads still, and seemed to work more then good enough on this medium cammed 6500rpm 396, but just don't have the size to feed a max effort high rpm stroker.

For me, a "max effort" NA LT1 build would be a 13:1 SB2.2 headed 410 with a Dominator flange Supervic and nasty 27x/28x solid roller with over .700 lift. You know, a street car .

...I promise I'll make one when I win the lotto .
Old 02-09-2012, 11:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

Alan, who tunes your car?
Old 02-10-2012, 05:02 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Afr 227 is the biggest head that's ltx specific and its even a little small for a max effort stroker.
Old 02-10-2012, 06:53 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Matts94Z28
Wat he said. I leave bout hr from ya. Im actually 1 who bought ur telastars.
Old 02-10-2012, 09:40 AM
TECH Fanatic

Tuned by Jeff Creech @ Carolina Auto Masters
I'd love to see this car at the shootout this year as well!
Old 02-10-2012, 11:08 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Puck
IIRC AI said they don't have the porting potential of their traditional TFS packages, so they still recommend the 23* TFS package for their serious stroker setups. As far as gen2 specific heads go, AI TFS heads or ported AFRs would probably be the go-to castings for most...although there are some nice CNC'd Dart heads floating around, and Brodix will convert any head they make into reverse cooled for you from the factory for $400.

The 21* TFS are badass heads still, and seemed to work more then good enough on this medium cammed 6500rpm 396, but just don't have the size to feed a max effort high rpm stroker.

For me, a "max effort" NA LT1 build would be a 13:1 SB2.2 headed 410 with a Dominator flange Supervic and nasty 27x/28x solid roller with over .700 lift. You know, a street car .

...I promise I'll make one when I win the lotto .
good to know that is what AI recommends, I still have an email out to them about what would be the best top end setup for my project, just reading their site and the posts it looked like the 21* would be better then any of their 23* stuff, but I still want to stick with an LTx spesific casting.
Old 02-16-2012, 09:18 AM
10 Second Club

Alan, Don't get down on yourself for that one mistake because you can drive the hell out of that six speed. I was proud to get the opportunity to race you.

This is one of my favorite pics of your car.

i like that pic too, thanks Jeff! Not bad for a toasted Spec 3 clutch. When i got home from that event the clutch just about came out in pieces it was so roasted.

I saw that someone else posted up that Jeff Creech at CAM has tuned it for almost 10 years now. I will leak a little something here...probably going away from the LT1 pcm if all goes well.

Originally Posted by TravisMcGill2000
Wat he said. I leave bout hr from ya. Im actually 1 who bought ur telastars.
Oh yeah i remember. Hope your car is doing well. Those telstars are famous...i bought them from Shon Herron who used them on the bolt-on record holding silver camaro he had for years before doing an lsx swap.

Quick Reply: Thunderchicken w/ Advanced Induction 21deg CNC'd TFS Heads & HR Dyno Results