LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Quick, Still Street Legal LT1's

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2012, 12:57 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Quick, Still Street Legal LT1's

Just kind of curious what kind of builds are out there that are still street legal. This will be my main goal whenever I decide to do an LT1 build, and it probably wont be for a few years but I want to get a much info as possible before I buy it! Anyways I know this topic is extremely broad, but I thought id ask anyways.

-Mike
Old 01-30-2012, 01:05 PM
TECH Apprentice

If im not mistaken, you can have 1000 hp and still be street legal. As long as your car has all of the required lights, signals,seatbelts, horn, tires, etc..etc..
Old 01-30-2012, 01:09 PM
Teching In

Oh ****.. Not bad at all.. I was talking to Mike V, hes got a 9.91 NA and he said it wasn't street legal. I just wasn't sure why, didn't get the chance to ask.
Old 01-30-2012, 01:16 PM
Village Troll

Received 530 Likes on 382 Posts

So many variables to the term "street legal" it can be argued for decades. Are you wanting it to be "street legal" for state inspection sake or for bragging rights?
Old 01-30-2012, 01:18 PM
11 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

define "street legal"
Many of us do not have to deal with any inspection and therefore get away with high overlap cams and such, but in a state with tailpipe emissions tests that would not fly due to high HC emissions.

Even just passing a tailpipe test might not fit the strictest definition of "legal" because a lot of good performance parts that do not hurt emissions also do not pay the bribe to CARB for an exemption number.

The comes the question of NA/boost/nitrous.
With boost you could just turn up the boost number and keep making more power without hurting low speed emissions but the CARB approved kits will have small blowers.
Old 01-30-2012, 01:19 PM
Teching In

Well, street legal as in able to drive it on the streets. I want it to still be drivable to a point, pass emissions and safety ect. I was thinking the easiest way to do this would be with an NA engine w/ N20 and just disconnect the N20 for daily driving.. Idk just spitballin here.

Yeah I wasnt meaning this to be super technical. But I do live in Canada, and need to pass emissions, safety and such. I guess ill need to keep the overlap to a minimum and run high compression. We will see, kind of a noob to this stuff, just trying to learn.
Old 01-30-2012, 01:23 PM
Village Troll

Originally Posted by MikeMartel
pass emissions...
Unless you "got a guy" that right there is going to put a huge hamper on your efforts or cost a small fortune to overcome, and even then you may not be able to pass since moving/tampering with a catalytic converter(s) is illegal. Where do you live?
Old 01-30-2012, 01:26 PM
11 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Looking at a full engine build from the ground up?? Can you get away with headers and such so long as it passes thew sniffer, or do aftermarket parts need emissions testing approval?
Old 01-30-2012, 01:30 PM
Teching In

Yes I understand all of this fun stuff, Im training to be a mechanic and am currently in a 2 year program in College. As long as your tailpipe emissions are within specifications, It doesnt really matter where the heck the cat is. Mechanics arent that **** around here. Plus I could always just give myself an e-test...

As long as tail pipe emissions are within specifications, it doesnt matter what is going on with the car TBH.. That and i cant have a check engine light on,
Old 01-30-2012, 02:22 PM
9 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

yea my car being obd I........which isn't even in the car any more mind you lol......has to pass a sniffer here in RI......theres no way in hell i would even come close lol...espically with leaded fuel.....in other states with less strict laws id prob pass........brakes, lights all that is there but not here.......again have to check with your local laws and see what you can get away with......i know a guy so i still got plates and a sticker

dont get me wrong i still drive it here and there but it is kinda risky if i get pulled over in a town where i dont know anybody on duty....

hell look at florida dont even need a sticker!!!! that'd be easy!!
Old 01-30-2012, 02:34 PM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

http://para.noid.org/~lj/

This LT1 was passing CA emissions and running 9s, it would how ever be an emissions illegal set up in any state because it moved the driver side catalytic converter and as far as CA goes a YSi isn't likely to have a CARB compliance number issued with it. But it did hit 9s with an S trim. I also think the area far as internal modifications is a bit grey.

But just like what 96capricemgr and SS RRR are saying, way to many variables with a modified car. Really and truly it really comes down to what you can get away with more than any thing.
Old 01-30-2012, 03:13 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There are Federal laws about tampering with the emissions system in a car. Google it.

Al 95 Z28
Old 01-30-2012, 03:45 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by quik95lt1
yea my car being obd I........which isn't even in the car any more mind you lol......has to pass a sniffer here in RI......theres no way in hell i would even come close lol...espically with leaded fuel.....in other states with less strict laws id prob pass........brakes, lights all that is there but not here.......again have to check with your local laws and see what you can get away with......i know a guy so i still got plates and a sticker

dont get me wrong i still drive it here and there but it is kinda risky if i get pulled over in a town where i dont know anybody on duty....

hell look at florida dont even need a sticker!!!! that'd be easy!!
In nh cause its a 95 no emissions testing, I best most smaller shops would let you roll in and stuff a sticker on it lol

Originally Posted by Big Al
There are Federal laws about tampering with the emissions system in a car. Google it.

Al 95 Z28
There are lots of rules that are there but no one gives a damn, while I agree I'm aware I "could" get a huge fine, no one even really talks about it, atleast around here lol

Got my car inspected at a place I never went before, guy puts it on a lift, and my LTs and ory couldn't be more visible. Not a single word lol other then my horn not working...
Old 01-30-2012, 03:56 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just kind of curious what kind of builds are out there that are still street legal. This will be my main goal whenever I decide to do an LT1 build, and it probably wont be for a few years but I want to get a much info as possible before I buy it! Anyways I know this topic is extremely broad, but I thought id ask anyways.

-Mike
"Street legal" status is determined my the mechanic who inspects your car....so obviously, this person should be chosen very selectively...never hurts when they are a good friend or you slip them some cash on the side
Old 01-30-2012, 05:32 PM
Teching In

Well like i said, im training to be a mechanic, i can always do it myself.
Old 01-30-2012, 06:17 PM
10 Second Club

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

My car is obdI and only gets a visual inspection. Yeah I "know a guy" who will overlook emission stuff, as long as the glass is good, the lights and horn work, and the tires are good, he will pass it. I run mufflers, DOT Hoosiers and pump gas so it is streetable, and I take it out to cruise nights here and there. I'll drive it to my local 1/8th mile track that is 10 miles away.
Old 01-30-2012, 06:37 PM
Village Troll

Well like i said, im training to be a mechanic, i can always do it myself.
Well then, get certified to do inspections and the world is yours, chico.
Old 01-30-2012, 07:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Where exactly are you in Canada? Here in Ontario its very restrictive. If your looking at making the most power possible and still passing emissions then a super/turbo or nitrous build is what you need to look into. The only lt1 around here to legitly pass emissions with a 383 le2 h/c stalled auto and 12 bolt made 411rwhp. Its a pain in the *** trying to build a race motor and still pass the sniffer. My build for example makes 376/377 with that le cam and had some room to grow. I bet if I moved up to le's next biggest cam made on a 112lsa I'd be a lot closer to the 400rwhp mark fully compliant.
Old 01-31-2012, 07:20 AM
Teching In

Oh, Im from Ontario too, I know its pretty bad.. Hopefully by the time I get my LT1 it will be 25 years old and doesnt need emissions anymore.

Scratch that... It needs to be pre 1987..

Last edited by MikeMartel; 01-31-2012 at 07:26 AM.
Old 01-31-2012, 08:20 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Man I feel sorry for you guys! Here in Nebraska we don't have any sort of inspection of any kind so the possibilities are pretty much endless as far as mods go.

Quick Reply: Quick, Still Street Legal LT1's