LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Shift light/dash mounted tach questions

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2012, 12:27 PM
9 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

heres where mine is mounted.........video was easier to post than a pic i got a **** ton of video lol.......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BK061xko8rk

if anybody wants to buy this tach ill sell it i wanna switch to the dual range 9krpm ultralite.....
Old 02-14-2012, 01:12 PM
10 Second Club

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I'm gonna show off Colin91z's car (NocturnalZ on ltxtech)! I got 2 spare dashes to practice on cause I plan on doing this very soon. It's the cleanest way I've seen to incorprate a 5" tach into a Camaro dash.
Attached Thumbnails Shift light/dash mounted tach questions-center.jpg   Shift light/dash mounted tach questions-side.jpg  

Last edited by 96LT1355Z28; 02-14-2012 at 01:20 PM.
Old 02-14-2012, 01:47 PM
9 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

josh thats badass i never actually looked inside at that on colins car
Old 02-14-2012, 01:55 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just have a Harlen shift light that is mounted at the top of the windshield frame. You can't see it till you are in the car. Works great and don't even have to look for it to flash, it is bright enough that you can easily see it out of the corner of you eye.
Old 02-14-2012, 03:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have mine mounted on the gauge pod. A shift light is all you need.
Old 02-14-2012, 03:22 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yea, I think I'm going with just a shift light on the gauge pod or A-pilar vent as others have done. I don't need the cops or high school kids scoping out my car with a "monster" tach to try to race/bust me all the time...I get enough of that with the wild paint job and cam lope
Old 03-21-2012, 03:00 PM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by BrianSF-GA
"guppymech", post up some photos when you get it mounted. I will do the same when I get mine in ... I still have a two-step, line lock and rear slicks to get and install. My front runners should be in anytime. My time is quickly running out .... the tracks here will be open for test & tune soon. I cannot wait.
Update:
Brian, I bought one of those Auto Meter 5340 shift lights. Installed it on the column just like the picture you posted. It lines right up on the pivot for the tach needle....nice. I chose this shift light because it's settings are set with the pills and it doesn't rely on the cars battery for memory of the settings.
I picked up the tach signal inside the passenger side kick panel, blue connector (c230, cavity D, white wire) ref service manual and shbox pic:
http://shbox.com/1/keyless_entry.jpg
Power source from dash mounted fuse panel spare IGN receptacle which is fused from the 'guages' fuse.
Ground with ring terminal to stud for lower dash panel support by steering column.
All wiring done inside car, didn't have to mess with pcm. It works great, no more looking at the unreliable stock tach when bangin' gears. Just thought I'd post a update.

Last edited by guppymech; 10-01-2012 at 10:10 AM.
Old 03-21-2012, 03:32 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by guppymech
Update:
Brian, I bought one of those Auto Meter 5340 shift lights. Installed it on the column just like the picture you posted. It lines right up on the pivot for the tach needle....nice. I chose this shift light because it's settings are set with the pills and it doesn't rely on the cars battery for memory of the settings.
I picked up the tach signal inside the passenger side kick panel, blue connector (c230, cavity D, white wire) ref service manual and shbox pic:
http://shbox.com/1/keyless_entry.jpg
Power source from dash mounted fuse panel spare IGN receptacle which is fused from the 'guages' fuse.
http://www.google.com/imgres?q=dash+...w=1009&bih=567
Ground with ring terminal to stud for lower dash panel support by steering column.
All wiring done inside car, didn't have to mess with pcm. It works great, no more looking at the unreliable stock tach when bangin' gears. Just thought I'd post a update.
.... thanks for the update. Post a photo or two of the final install when you get a chance. I am pretty confident my install will be different since I am running an LSx car.
Old 04-03-2012, 01:41 PM
On The Tree

Default shift light

i too have thot abt the need for one but want night drivability like that steering colum one but they make 2 and 3 stg ones for a 2 and 1/16 pod hole i just worry abt nightdriving very cool pics guys...
Old 04-03-2012, 01:53 PM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by lt1needingboost
i too have thot abt the need for one but want night drivability like that steering colum one but they make 2 and 3 stg ones for a 2 and 1/16 pod hole i just worry abt nightdriving very cool pics guys...
The Auto Meter shift light mentioned above comes with a yellow blinder cap for nightime ops.

Quick Reply: Shift light/dash mounted tach questions