LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Opti number 5 in 3 months

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2012, 09:11 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

does the cap in the back of the intake where the HEI would be hold the cam also?
Old 02-20-2012, 09:49 AM
Village Troll

Received 533 Likes on 385 Posts

Originally Posted by blk3rdgen91
does the cap in the back of the intake where the HEI would be hold the cam also?
HEI is a type of distributor. If you are talking about the gear drive bolted to the oil valley, it does not hold the cam in any fashion. It will hold the cam up from coming out unless removed, but it does not support the cam in any way. It serves as a drive for the oil pump shaft.

Originally Posted by wrd1972
Maybe the plate was not properly hardened. I recently inspected my plate and with only 85K miles of usage, the anodizing is barely scuffed.
You mean parkerizing?
Old 02-20-2012, 10:22 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by SS RRR
You mean parkerizing?
Yes thats what I should have stated. I actually had to google the term since I was not familiar with.
Old 02-20-2012, 11:17 AM
Village Troll

Received 533 Likes on 385 Posts

Old 02-21-2012, 08:44 AM
On The Tree

Here it is the opti cap was sucked down into the rotor causing the rotor to get eaten up by the cap. Opti is still good replaced the rotor and not going to run vacuum hoses anymore.
This could also be the reason for high rpm otpi failure maybe the opti can handle high rpm but people have overlooked the vacuum?
Attached Thumbnails Opti number 5 in 3 months-photo-1.jpg   Opti number 5 in 3 months-photo-2.jpg   Opti number 5 in 3 months-photo-3.jpg  
Old 02-21-2012, 09:18 AM
8 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SS RRR
Old 02-21-2012, 09:39 AM
TECH Fanatic

So does this mean that something is wrong in the vacuum harness allowing to much suction? What would be the fix for this? I hope SHBOX chimes in again.
Old 02-21-2012, 09:47 AM
On The Tree

Yea thats a good question..I have check valves on them and running to the stock location, unless Im pulling too much vacuum at the top end because of the big cam then I don't see what else could cause this malfunction
Old 02-21-2012, 10:08 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 52 Likes on 46 Posts

Have you checked to see if the fresh air hose is blocked? This would cause vacuum to build up inside the opti. The highest vacuum you will see is on deceleration from high RPM.
Old 02-21-2012, 10:14 AM
On The Tree

the fresh air hose on the opti im assuming is the one to the intake elbow?
Old 02-21-2012, 11:33 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 52 Likes on 46 Posts

the fresh air hose on the opti im assuming is the one to the intake elbow?
That, it is.
Old 02-21-2012, 12:07 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by shbox
That, it is.
WOW

so then the elbow hose does not pull on the OPTI? I thought it did as well.

I dont know which one hose goes where...mine is setup in stock locations.

But my thought was that the one going to the intake elbow would also for sure create a vacuum.

So then GM designed for it to pull or vacuum fresh air from the elbow? the whole time pulling the ionized air from the Cap and rotor division through past and into the Optical sensor area and then throw that into the manifold?

That setup blows chunks....i dont want runoff from the cap and rotor area in the opti area. Why mix the two?

Also wouldnt it be hard to pull air out of the elbow especially under load if the throttle body is doing it's thing...and pulling mazda' and rustangs into it's blades...possibly also could lodge one and block that passage all together. If that was the intended design maybe that's what's happened here maybe too much vacuum on the intake side prevented flow.

I'm thinking id rather drill another fitting into opti side and keep both halves somehow not mixing their runoffs.

Are you sure the intake elbow hose is not vacuuming as well?
Old 02-21-2012, 12:08 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by shbox
Have you checked to see if the fresh air hose is blocked? This would cause vacuum to build up inside the opti. The highest vacuum you will see is on deceleration from high RPM.
from the looking at everything, it looks good unless this check valve in the fresh air line is no good. but seems to work fine. The vacuum has to be minimal at the fresh air line, unless it pulls suction from the intake
Old 02-21-2012, 12:21 PM
TECH Veteran

The hose from the elbow is the fresh air intake to the Opti and provides no suction. The hose from the intake is the suction line from the Opti and should have the check valve on it. Both of these lines should be free of clogs.

To check the venting operation, hook a mityvac to the suction line and see if it draws. It should draw easily and if it holds a vacuum, there is a clogged hose. If you dont have a mityvac, just stick the suction hose in your mouth and start sucking. Hopefully if draws air easily.

If the venting is working fine, there is no way that vacuum is collapsing the opti cap. I have seen in Optis past were the rotor button did slightly contact the lower white plastic housing and the cap so a little triming was needed on the rotor. Once its assembled, when you turn it by hand, you should hear no scuffing sounds which would indicate rotor rubbing.

Lets make sure the venting is working properly first.
Old 02-21-2012, 12:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

from the looking at everything, it looks good unless this check valve in the fresh air line is no good. but seems to work fine. The vacuum has to be minimal at the fresh air line, unless it pulls suction from the intake
The line with the little "UFO" disc filter and check valve should go to the intake manifold, NOT to the intake elbow.
Old 02-21-2012, 12:39 PM
TECH Enthusiast

The hose from the elbow is the fresh air intake to the Opti and provides no suction. The hose from the intake is the suction line from the Opti and should have the check valve on it. Both of these lines should be free of clogs.

Lets make sure the venting is working properly first.
Ok so the one from the intake elbow goes to the dizzy cap. The one from the intake mani goes to the opti housing body/tube? It's covered in loom so I cant tell which one goes where.

The diagram is labeling both as intake.
http://shbox.com/ci/opti_vent.jpg

In other words they both suck air out. That would make more sense....what you guys are saying is that GM willingly passed ionized air into the Optical sensor side and THEENNN sucks it out.

I think that what's happened to black3rdGen is his hogwild cam produces sooo much vacuum and wants inhale the world....that it was more vacuum than intended.....also HE SEALED the dizzy cap with gasket mojo. That prolly didn't help the situation. As the unsealed caps would likely just pull air through its seams if a normal cam were to have enough vacuum to pull hard enough.

Does anyone have a diagram showing the GM intended air flows? supporting the fresh air theory? altho it has to pull it from somewhere i agree...or should.

I think it sucks air out and into the intake elbow and reburns the ionized mix from the cap and rotor side. The gasket sealant and his engine's CFM requirements made it collapse onto itself.

Last edited by License2Ill; 02-21-2012 at 12:53 PM.
Old 02-21-2012, 12:39 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 05HD
The line with the little "UFO" disc filter and check valve should go to the intake manifold, NOT to the intake elbow.
I added a check valve to the fresh air line just in case of backfire it doesnt cause destruction to the opti, the check valve added on the fresh air side is not pulling easy feels like its getting stuck going to swap it out.
Old 02-21-2012, 12:53 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by License2Ill
Ok so the one from the intake elbow goes to the dizzy cap. The one from the intake mani goes to the opti housing body/tube? It's covered in loom so I cant tell which one goes where.

The diagram is labeling both as intake.
http://shbox.com/ci/opti_vent.jpg

In other words they both suck air out. That would make more sense....what you guys are saying is that GM willingly passed ionized air into the Optical sensor side and then sucked it out.

I think that what's happened to black3rdGen is his hogwild cam produces sooo much vacuum and wants inhale the world....that it was more vacuum than intended.....also HE SEALED the dizzy cap with gasket mojo. That prolly didn't help the situation. As the unsealed caps would like just pull air through its seams if a normal cam were to have enough vacuum to pull hard enough.

Does anyone have a diagram showing the GM intended air flows? supporting the fresh air theory.

I think it sucks air out and into the intake elbow and reburns the ionized mix from the cap and rotor side. The gasket sealant and his CFM requirements made it collapse onto itself.
IMO the two lines can not provide suction at the same time because you have to have an air supply in order to suck said air out. The intake provides the intended suction to the intake hose. The other acquires fresh air from the elbow to be flowed into the opti.

Consider a desktop PC case, if both fans are installed either blowing in or both sucking out, the intended functional airflow will not be present and a malfunction is the result.

OP, remove the check valve from the fresh air hose from the elbow. Considering the bad luck with you and Optis, there is no need to try to re-engineer the venting system until the root problem is determined. FWIW I cant see a backfire causing Opti damage considering the small size hose in fact I would be more concerned why your concerned with backfires.

If that particular check valve were installed backwards, that would mimic a clogged hose and then likely suck the cap inward causing the problem. This could be the root problem. Again, grab intake hose and start sucking on it and reply back with the result. It will either draw air or not.
Old 02-21-2012, 12:57 PM
On The Tree

imo the two lines can not provide suction at the same time because you have to have an air supply in order to suck said air out. The intake provides the intended suction to the intake hose. The other acquires fresh air from the elbow to be flowed into the opti.

Consider a desktop pc case, if both fans are installed either blowing in or both sucking out, the intended functional airflow will not be present and a malfunction is the result.

Op, remove the check valve from the fresh air hose from the elbow. Considering the bad luck with you and optis, there is no need to try to re-engineer the venting system until the root problem is determined. Fwiw i cant see a backfire causing opti damage considering the small size hose in fact i would be more concerned why your concerned with backfires.

If that particular check valve were installed backwards, that would mimic a clogged hose and then likely suck the cap inward causing the problem. This could be the root problem. Again, grab intake hose and start sucking on it and reply back with the result. It will either draw air or not.
enignie does not backfire just a precauction if it ever did but seeing how insignificant it is because its only a fresh air port then i will take the check valve off.
Old 02-21-2012, 01:12 PM
TECH Enthusiast

IMO the two lines can not provide suction at the same time because you have to have an air supply in order to suck said air out. The intake provides the intended suction to the intake hose. The other acquires fresh air from the elbow to be flowed into the opti.
i understand you...wish we had more to go on though.

The intake elbow receives vacuum as well from the engine....the other thing is if this would to not be a problem and air could still be drawn from the elbow even though the engine is pulling from there....their blending air particles from the rotor side up and thru the optical side.

someone should try to mityvac the intake mani hose while the engine is running at idle and other rpm ranges to see how much vac can be applied.

Quick Reply: Opti number 5 in 3 months