LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Opti number 5 in 3 months

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2012, 01:18 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by License2Ill
i understand you...wish we had more to go on though.

The intake elbow receives vacuum as well from the engine....the other thing is if this would to not be a problem and air could still be drawn from the elbow even though the engine is pulling from there....their blending air particles from the rotor side up and thru the optical side.

someone should try to mityvac the intake mani hose while the engine is running at idle and other rpm ranges to see how much vac can be applied.
It would be neat to test. I suspect that the intake manifold vacuum would overpower the vaccum in the rubber elbow most of the time.

Any time the elbow vaccum might exceed the intake manifold vaccum, the check valve on the small rubber line to the Opti, from the intake manifold would close and resist allowing air that would be sucked, into the hose. Just speculating here.
Old 02-21-2012, 01:26 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by wrd1972
it would be neat to test. I suspect that the intake manifold vacuum would overpower the vaccum in the rubber elbow most of the time.

Any time the elbow vaccum might exceed the intake manifold vaccum, the check valve on the small rubber line to the opti, from the intake manifold would close and resist allowing air that would be sucked, into the hose. Just speculating here.
i was thinking the same thing that the manifold would over power the fresh air hose from the intake elbow.
Old 02-21-2012, 01:51 PM
On The Tree

Well after thinking about it i just cant see how the fresh air line only supplies fresh air, there has to be a vacuum coming from it especially at wot. This would then cause too much vacuum to the cap causing the cap to suck in. There is just no way it only supplies fresh air!! Maybe this is the cause of opti failure throughout its lifetime vacuum not correctly set up. There needs to be a "full circle" fresh air being pulled in and vacuum to suck out
Old 02-21-2012, 02:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by blk3rdgen91
Well after thinking about it i just cant see how the fresh air line only supplies fresh air, there has to be a vacuum coming from it especially at wot. This would then cause too much vacuum to the cap causing the cap to suck in. There is just no way it only supplies fresh air!! Maybe this is the cause of opti failure throughout its lifetime vacuum not correctly set up. There needs to be a "full circle" fresh air being pulled in and vacuum to suck out
How did you come to that conclusion? There is never more pressure in the intake manifold of a naturally aspirated engine than there is in front of the throttle, unless it is in the middle of a backfire, hence the check valve GM put in there. Shitcan that extra check valve you put in and it will be fine.
Old 02-21-2012, 02:10 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by blk3rdgen91
Pardon me while I go out and suck my Opti's hose.

Okay I sucked my my Opti's fresh air hose from the elbow (cant believe I said that twice) and no air is drawn through it likely due to the check valve on the other hose leading to the intake manifold. IMO, I am confident in saying that ventilating air can flow only in one direction within the Opti plus I am more confident in saying I need to stop sucking on Opti's.

Last edited by wrd1972; 02-21-2012 at 02:18 PM.
Old 02-21-2012, 02:51 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by wrd1972
Pardon me while I go out and suck my Opti's hose.

Okay I sucked my my Opti's fresh air hose from the elbow (cant believe I said that twice) and no air is drawn through it likely due to the check valve on the other hose leading to the intake manifold. IMO, I am confident in saying that ventilating air can flow only in one direction within the Opti plus I am more confident in saying I need to stop sucking on Opti's.
alright well now i understand im a little slow
Old 02-21-2012, 02:56 PM
TECH Regular

your installing it wrong
Old 02-21-2012, 04:42 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 52 Likes on 46 Posts

I don't know why people are trying to re-invent the vent system. If you put something in the hose between the air duct supply and the opti, you probably caused a restriction, resulting in a build up of vacuum, killing all your optis, 'cause what is happening to you is not in any way normal. I think all this destruction was self-inflicted.

I put a vacuum gauge on the air duct where the opti vent hose goes and did many test revs and there was no vacuum detected.

With the vacuum gauge on the end of the hose that goes into the air duct (reading the intake manifold supplied vacuum), it slowly creeps up to about 8", even when the engine is revved up/down. The check valves/filters/flow reducers are doing their thing.

With engine off and using a vacuum tester on that same hose, you can pump up and get a vacuum reading. Meaning, the check valves are not going to allow flow toward the air duct, even if there was vacuum (which there isn't).

My recommendation is to put the thing stock, like it is supposed to be and leave it alone. It works for thousands of people like it was designed.
Old 02-21-2012, 04:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Agreed. I bet the guy I mentioned above installed the harness backwards or wrong in some way. Mine is not completely stock in that I have my fresh air hose stuck in the port where the AIR hose normally connects. I just poked the fitting through the cap that covers it. (The AIR is already deleted.) I did this because my elbow didn't have a hole for it and I figured this would serve the same effect. I haven't had any trouble so far.
Old 02-21-2012, 06:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by shbox
I put a vacuum gauge on the air duct where the opti vent hose goes and did many test revs and there was no vacuum detected.

With the vacuum gauge on the end of the hose that goes into the air duct (reading the intake manifold supplied vacuum), it slowly creeps up to about 8", even when the engine is revved up/down. The check valves/filters/flow reducers are doing their thing.

With engine off and using a vacuum tester on that same hose, you can pump up and get a vacuum reading. Meaning, the check valves are not going to allow flow toward the air duct, even if there was vacuum (which there isn't).
So even with the engine running and throttle blades open some....there is no vacuum being applied to the line that hooks into the intake elbow? from the engine breathing in ?
what do u think about during WOT?

With your measurements it would seem that with no doubt it is designed to flow in one way...and GM intended to suck out the ionized air via first passing it to the back into the opticial sensor side and finally evacuating it into that vacuum there from the intake mani.

I can see why there are fans to both the Vented and non vented styles...

I think i'd rather pull fresh air into the opti side first and suck it all out the rotor side last.....but i guess that would be speculation "better".
Old 02-21-2012, 06:26 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 52 Likes on 46 Posts

There won't be vacuum on the intake tract unless there is a restriction. The thing is open to the atmosphere.

Quick Reply: Opti number 5 in 3 months