LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

low RPM shudder and loss of power

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2012, 09:18 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default low RPM shudder and loss of power

I know its a horse that been beaten so badly it can't walk but here's my issue. I've got a pretty stout LT1 and its strong however around 1500 rpm it gets a shudder and it lasts until about 2000 rpm. During this time the exhaust tone changes and I lose power. I know its not the opti as I just replaced the 2 year old accel junk and the water pump that crapped out. The icm and coil are new. The egr is new. The plugs and wires are new as well. Has anyone had this issue and fixed it or am I looking at something caused by the cam? Just to cover my bases the tranny and torque converter are new and have been checked as well. I'm just stumped....
Old 03-07-2012, 10:02 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by PhenixTAGT
I know its a horse that been beaten so badly it can't walk but here's my issue. I've got a pretty stout LT1 and its strong however around 1500 rpm it gets a shudder and it lasts until about 2000 rpm. During this time the exhaust tone changes and I lose power. I know its not the opti as I just replaced the 2 year old accel junk and the water pump that crapped out. The icm and coil are new. The egr is new. The plugs and wires are new as well. Has anyone had this issue and fixed it or am I looking at something caused by the cam? Just to cover my bases the tranny and torque converter are new and have been checked as well. I'm just stumped....
I had almost the exact same thing going on with mine about a month ago. I did the icm and coil, plugs and wires. That seemed to make it better but it came back. Finally I noticed the headers glowing red hot...cut the cat off and havent had a problem since. That was my problem. Hope it helps....
Old 03-07-2012, 02:41 PM
Teching In

I wish it were that. I'm running without a cat.
Old 03-07-2012, 06:50 PM
On The Tree

Does this happen in all gears or only in OD?

Quick Reply: low RPM shudder and loss of power