LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

My Hotcam/Budget build. This might get ugly

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2012 | 01:02 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by 1961ba427
Victor Reinz has a .026" thick gasket too (actually the same as the Mr. Gasket one) I think they package them better than Mr. G. Pricing is about the same either way.
+1, I had no issues removing my VR .026 HGs.

Buy an extra if you need to use one to mock up PTV or measure PR length though, or if you have the clearance run no HG and add the compressed thickness to your measurement.

I mocked my VR's up, and even with only 3 head bolts that were never torqued down, installed in a triangle around the cylinder being measured, they stuck and peeled apart and were not able to be used.

Very fragile gaskets.
Old 05-15-2012 | 07:32 PM
Teching In

Well, so much for a budget build. The engine inhaled a foreign object and beat around on top of the piston, causing me to misdiagnose the noise as a rod bearing, hence the reason the engine came out of the car in the first place. But the piston was damaged worse than originally thought, so the engine came apart completely. Good thing because the rest of the short block didn't look too great either. Cam bearings and rod bearings were beyond worn out.

Anyway, this what I have going on now. It's definitely still budget minded, just not exactly what I originally had in mind:

Block cleaned, core plugs and cam bearings replaced, all the standard overhaul stuff done. Decks were straight so I decided not to deck it. I know, it's cheap power to have it zero decked. But I'm way over budget so it's only getting the necessities.
Procomp H-beam rods, arp hardware, bushed small ends
Speedpro Hyper Pistons, Stock bore and compression height. Moly rings. Cylinders were lightly honed, they all measure between 4.0014 and 4.0024. Should end up with .0024 .0033 piston-wall clearance.
Crank turned .010/.010, Clevite bearings
Balance the rotating assembly.

My machinist said he's seen similar assemblies as much as 150 grams out from one end to the other! I really, really, really didn't want to spend the $250, but that scared me. I don't plan on spinning this thing past 6 anyway, but I'd rather not have the thing rattle the teeth out of my mouth, then itself all over the road.

Opinions are still welcome, and will probably still be ignored. Yeeehaw.
Old 05-15-2012 | 07:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmihm06
Haha classic.
Old 05-16-2012 | 08:20 AM
TECH Fanatic

Did you verify the compression height on those Speedpro pistons?
I would have leaned toward just finding a used stock piston. They're all over the place for free!
Old 05-16-2012 | 06:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by bowtienut
Did you verify the compression height on those Speedpro pistons?
I would have leaned toward just finding a used stock piston. They're all over the place for free!
THIS^^ It would have really been the budget way to go and you wouldn't have needed to rebalance either.
Old 05-30-2012 | 01:05 PM
Teching In

Compression height on the speedpros is 1.560....and looking back in it that's what I should have done. But I figured since it was apart I might as well replace them all. I overlooked the fact that I would have to spend another $250 to get it balanced...stupid and I knew better.
Old 05-30-2012 | 01:33 PM
duh
TECH Fanatic

Had I known, I have stock rods and pistons sitting in my garage collecting dust. I would have given them away. Lol
Old 05-30-2012 | 04:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmihm06
Well, so much for a budget build. The engine inhaled a foreign object and beat around on top of the piston, causing me to misdiagnose the noise as a rod bearing, hence the reason the engine came out of the car in the first place. But the piston was damaged worse than originally thought, so the engine came apart completely. Good thing because the rest of the short block didn't look too great either. Cam bearings and rod bearings were beyond worn out.

Anyway, this what I have going on now. It's definitely still budget minded, just not exactly what I originally had in mind:

Block cleaned, core plugs and cam bearings replaced, all the standard overhaul stuff done. Decks were straight so I decided not to deck it. I know, it's cheap power to have it zero decked. But I'm way over budget so it's only getting the necessities.
Procomp H-beam rods, arp hardware, bushed small ends
Speedpro Hyper Pistons, Stock bore and compression height. Moly rings. Cylinders were lightly honed, they all measure between 4.0014 and 4.0024. Should end up with .0024 .0033 piston-wall clearance.
Crank turned .010/.010, Clevite bearings
Balance the rotating assembly.

My machinist said he's seen similar assemblies as much as 150 grams out from one end to the other! I really, really, really didn't want to spend the $250, but that scared me. I don't plan on spinning this thing past 6 anyway, but I'd rather not have the thing rattle the teeth out of my mouth, then itself all over the road.

you bought aftermarket rods and than still used ARP bolts??

most would of used ARP's for stk rods, and use whatever comes with the aftermarket rod
Old 05-30-2012 | 06:23 PM
11 Second Club

I would use i beam also. They will b lighter than h beams.

Quick Reply: My Hotcam/Budget build. This might get ugly