LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

new 357 rich or lean?? smells like gas

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2012, 11:05 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default new 357 rich or lean?? smells like gas

Idk what is going on with my car ? I have a ses light on the dash. also have an plug in the engine bay not plugged in.

The car starts up fine, acts semi normal considering i started the build 2 yrs back (ran out of money) and only have a pcm tune. But it smells like gas bad and once you shut off the motor it will need 10-20min sitting before it will start back up.

Batt/alt/starter, all newer (1-2k, 2-3yrs old) IDK if its too rich as is flooded or im too lean? the car has new O2's in it, but that have been sitting around for 2yrs along with the car.

I have been working with a older mechanic. I goto his shop to work on the car, he helps me when im stuck, i use his tools, etc.... but i dont really trust when he gives me LT1 advice.

I have a purple plug on the right by the driver side header that is unplugged. 890% sure, its the secondary air pump plug but not sure?? ive accounted for everything else.
car does not have egr, air, oil cooler, washer fluid res., horn, fog light, etc. but i do have it all this **** tuned out so i dont think it should make a difference any way..??

whats going on here??.......i ran out of money on this build and it sat for 2yrs. its just getting MOST of the bugs out. 270 miles on the 357 so far.
Old 03-19-2012, 11:08 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Nowhere do you mention having scanned the SES light. Seems like that would be a good place to start.

Do you have an A/F gauge? Datamaster available to view the car's PCM in real-time?
Old 03-19-2012, 11:15 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by RamAir95TA
Nowhere do you mention having scanned the SES light. Seems like that would be a good place to start.

Do you have an A/F gauge? Datamaster available to view the car's PCM in real-time?
will scan the car, and check fuel pressure again. could i possibly need new O2's??
Old 03-19-2012, 11:54 AM
TECH Fanatic

How could anyone tell you what you might need without more information? What is the FP and what is the cycle rate of the o2 while driving the car?
Old 03-19-2012, 01:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

fuel pressure at ldle is 45 psi, just the key turned is 39

it is throwing code 43, ESC module. But when i look it up its says its suspension related??

I thought it would of been electronic spark control....

Quick Reply: new 357 rich or lean?? smells like gas