LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Faint Smoke Coming From dipstick

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2012, 11:32 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Faint Smoke Coming From dipstick

so i just bought a 94 camaro z28 stock it had a small hole in one of the radiator hoses so i changed it and flushed the coolant. refilled it and bleed the system. im in miami florida. the car doesn't over heat it runs hot like at a light or parked almost to the third tisk (right before the red). The Fans kick on right before it hits that third tisk and the temp goes right down. when im driving it sits right before the half way mark, Also once i drive the car for about a hour there is a faint smoke from the dipstick. are these typical. im new to the v8 fbody had a 3800 firebird before this so sorry for the questions. i just need some help. my car has 113000 miles i bought it from the original owner.
Old 03-19-2012, 11:52 AM
Village Troll

Received 536 Likes on 388 Posts

First thing to do is examine all PCV system lines to make sure everything is functioning and check the PCV valve to make sure it is not clogged. If that checks out, take the oil fill cap off valve cover with engine running and see if there is any positive pressure. What you are experiencing may be the result of excessive blow by. If PCV system is indeed in tact then next thing to do is a compression test or leak down on all cylinders. A compression test will tell you if there is something wrong. A leak down will tell you what is wrong.
Old 03-19-2012, 02:04 PM

to make sure im not mistaking the pcv valve on this car is on the passenger side and it runs from the the valve cover to the front of the throttle body. there is a U shaped plastic piece its melted at the tip of it. So im going to start by changing this cant be more than a couple bucks. Thanx for the help. Am i working in the right direction?
Old 03-19-2012, 02:08 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Justin Hogan
to make sure im not mistaking the pcv valve on this car is on the passenger side and it runs from the the valve cover to the front of the throttle body. there is a U shaped plastic piece its melted at the tip of it. So im going to start by changing this cant be more than a couple bucks. Thanx for the help. Am i working in the right direction?
The PCV valve is located on the driver side of the intake manifold. The tube on the passenger side valve cover is just a fresh air supply for the PCV system.
Old 03-19-2012, 02:13 PM

Originally Posted by RamAir95TA
The PCV valve is located on the driver side of the intake manifold. The tube on the passenger side valve cover is just a fresh air supply for the PCV system.

Okay so if this piece is melted the pcv valve is not getting fresh air. Could This be causing the faint smoke i was describing in my earlier post. im going to change it regardless.

Quick Reply: Faint Smoke Coming From dipstick