LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Cam Help

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2012, 09:23 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Cam Help

Need help on what cam to put in my lt1 ws6! Currently the car is pretty much stock except LT's,ORY, and Catback. I want to stay with the origianl heads for now and want a cam with a nice lope to it and wonder if anybody has a setup they really like. Ive been looking for a cam package w/ springs and all but not decisive....ANY Suggestions is greatly Appreciated!
Old 03-20-2012, 09:40 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Maverick-WS6
Need help on what cam to put in my lt1 ws6! Currently the car is pretty much stock except LT's,ORY, and Catback. I want to stay with the origianl heads for now and want a cam with a nice lope to it and wonder if anybody has a setup they really like. Ive been looking for a cam package w/ springs and all but not decisive....ANY Suggestions is greatly Appreciated!
is your car auto or is it a M6 if it is auto you might want to get a stall first because if you get a cam before a stall you might rip threw your breaks.. but if you have an M6 or a stall. i will go with the CC503 its a good cam to have plus it doesn't kill your that bad and it is good on the street
Old 03-20-2012, 10:57 AM
Teching In

Camaro51190: Its an M6, had a blown intake gasket and seals weeping everywhere so its torn apart down to the block( with heads still on) and thought i might as well change the cam while im at it.......that cam is the EXACT one i was looking at but was unsure on the stock heads.....would i need new rockers with that, and if so, what kind? thanks for the post
Old 03-20-2012, 11:12 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by CAMARO51190
is your car auto or is it a M6 if it is auto you might want to get a stall first because if you get a cam before a stall you might rip threw your breaks.. but if you have an M6 or a stall. i will go with the CC503 its a good cam to have plus it doesn't kill your that bad and it is good on the street
on summit theres a kit K08-503-8, but doest say wether or not to replace rockers...has everything else included though.
Old 03-20-2012, 11:33 AM
Teching In

on summit theres a kit K08-503-8, but doest say wether or not to replace rockers...has everything else included though.
Camaro51190: Its an M6, had a blown intake gasket and seals weeping everywhere so its torn apart down to the block( with heads still on) and thought i might as well change the cam while im at it.......that cam is the EXACT one i was looking at but was unsure on the stock heads.....would i need new rockers with that, and if so, what kind? thanks for the post

Yea you can run a CC503 with stock heads.. and the reason why i haven't done it yet is because it is a pain to do.. you ned to get the Supporting mods that come with the cam.. Harden push rods,springs new timing chain.. you dont need new roller rockers with a CC503.. its alot of money for a cam.. up to $1000 i mean if you are going to do it your self good luck

You will also need a Dyno tune that prob runs around 500 idk where you are from but i live in Ohio that it is around there

I looked at that it doesn't seem bad... you dont need the lifters though

Last edited by CAMARO51190; 03-20-2012 at 11:38 AM.
Old 03-20-2012, 11:41 AM
TECH Regular

really all you need to do a cam swap is the cam its self, pushrods (of the correct length) and springs capable of handling the lift of the new cam. if your springs arent crazy stiff then you wont need to replace rockers, the stock ones will work fine. check all your lifters while your in there. gm replacement is ls7 lifters.... lots of people say if you put a cam in and have trouble with its street manners that you should get a set of 4.10s for the rear end to make it easier to drive in traffic. id also get a cold air intake to help that cam breath

as already mentioned you should plan about $1000 for a cam swap
Old 03-20-2012, 11:46 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by englundjd
really all you need to do a cam swap is the cam its self, pushrods (of the correct length) and springs capable of handling the lift of the new cam. if your springs arent crazy stiff then you wont need to replace rockers, the stock ones will work fine. check all your lifters while your in there. gm replacement is ls7 lifters.... lots of people say if you put a cam in and have trouble with its street manners that you should get a set of 4.10s for the rear end to make it easier to drive in traffic. id also get a cold air intake to help that cam breath

as already mentioned you should plan about $1000 for a cam swap

With a CC503? you dont need lifters on that cam Harden puch rods timing chains new springs.. you should be set.. the tune is what is going to kill him on money
Old 03-20-2012, 11:51 AM
TECH Regular

im not saying needs new lifters lol just saying he needs to check his stock ones to make sure there in good shape. timing chain isnt a must and neither are "hardened pushrods" ... im not saying that they wouldnt be good to do while he is there tho. either way he will likely need new pushrods hardened or not. If his timing chain is in good condition why would he need to replace it?

im not gona argue with you bout it but you get what im saying?
Old 03-20-2012, 12:06 PM
Teching In

yea i know what you are saying.. you dont need all that stuff good point.. but you can say he should..
Old 03-20-2012, 12:16 PM
Launching!

Get a mail order tune... $500 for a tune? Maybe if he spends 4+ hours on the dyno.... get a madz28 tune. Less than $200 and your computer is ready to go with the new cam. It's not going to be perfect but it will get you very close to final numbers. Most people seem to pick up 10-30whp from an actual dyno tune.... Madz28 does a great job and has a very quick turnaround. Took me 3 days to get my PCM back. That includes sending it out the first day of the 3.
Old 03-20-2012, 12:27 PM
Teching In

im not saying needs new lifters lol just saying he needs to check his stock ones to make sure there in good shape. timing chain isnt a must and neither are "hardened pushrods" ... im not saying that they wouldnt be good to do while he is there tho. either way he will likely need new pushrods hardened or not. If his timing chain is in good condition why would he need to replace it?

im not gona argue with you bout it but you get what im saying?
the kit comes with lifters, springs, stems, locks, retainers, timing chain....
but doesnt come with rods....is it advised to change the rods? thanks for all the help guys..
the motor is already apart to replace all the gaskets and front crank seal anyways so might as well try to tackle it myself ehh? lol
the kit runs $750 and im already planning on the 500 or so for the tune....just getting aheads up on anything else that should be replaced while im in there
Old 03-20-2012, 12:28 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by v8vette84
Get a mail order tune... $500 for a tune? Maybe if he spends 4+ hours on the dyno.... get a madz28 tune. Less than $200 and your computer is ready to go with the new cam. It's not going to be perfect but it will get you very close to final numbers. Most people seem to pick up 10-30whp from an actual dyno tune.... Madz28 does a great job and has a very quick turnaround. Took me 3 days to get my PCM back. That includes sending it out the first day of the 3.
IDk you can get a MadZ28 tune for a cam i knew like bolt on you can..but cam awesome
Old 03-20-2012, 12:31 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by v8vette84
theres a shop bout a half hour from my house that i was planning on babying it over there for the tune but is it worth sending out for a tune? i figured id leave the tune up to the pros.....(probably woulda been better off leaving it all for the pros lol if it wouldnt have cost me a fortune!)
thanks again guys....
Old 03-20-2012, 12:48 PM
TECH Regular

yes you will most likely need new pushrods. you can find pushrod length with this tool http://www.jegs.com/i/Comp-Cams/249/...oductId=753211
Old 03-20-2012, 01:18 PM
Teching In

yes you will most likely need new pushrods. you can find pushrod length with this tool http://www.jegs.com/i/Comp-Cams/249/...oductId=753211
can i just buy the factory length hardened ones from jegs or will i need a different length hence the pushrod measuring tool?
Old 03-20-2012, 03:58 PM
Teching In

Does anybody currently run a cc503? Did you change pushrods or stay with stock? on here people have told me to get hardened ones but some buddies of mine tell me no need....
To stay with stock rockers/rods or go new and if so which?
Old 03-20-2012, 11:16 PM
Teching In

bump anybody?
Old 03-21-2012, 12:17 AM
TECH Regular

as far as pushrods go you could probably get away with asking someone that has a similar setup but for it to be right you should probably order the measuring tool and find out what exact length you need. They dont have to be hardened pushrods but really why not get them?

you can run the stock rockers if you want or you can get roller rockers. comp cams, scorpion, gm performance, and many more. most ppl run 1.5 or 1.6 ratio rockers. bear in mind 1.6 ratio will raise the lift of your cam

either way you'll need to upgrade your springs also. that is a must
Old 03-21-2012, 01:04 PM
TECH Apprentice

I have a buddy running a 503 he has stock heads but his it auto it runs pretty good an he kept stock push rods plus I would say a yes on atleast 1.6 rockers
Old 03-22-2012, 08:52 AM
TECH Regular

Does anybody currently run a cc503? Did you change pushrods or stay with stock? on here people have told me to get hardened ones but some buddies of mine tell me no need....
To stay with stock rockers/rods or go new and if so which?
Iam running a 503 yes i put hardend rods in but stock would be fine , I have 1.6 rockers to get as much lift as possible . Some people like to use non hardend rods because if somthing goes wrong that will break first not somthing elese . I have everything comp . cam, rods, rollers except guide plates i went with trickflows but gm will work just as good . I recommend switching stock rocker studs with arp even if your stay with stock size . If you follow comp website they will help guide you with everything you need . Forgot to mention iam using pcmforless tune but this is a must tune it before you drive it !

Quick Reply: Cam Help