LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

PCV Valve Procharger questions???

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2012, 11:40 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Default PCV Valve Procharger questions???

Guys,

I need some advice with my PCV setup that I currently dont have after reading a ton of threads on it.

back when i did heads and cam some shop junked a bunch of important vacuum related items from the intake manifold and just plugged vacuum lines. I thought i fixed them all but it turns out i have not been running a PCV system.

in the pics you will see the driver PCV area capped off ( did not know it shouldn't be until today) and the front of the manifold is capped off too (no pic).
after reading some threads today i learned there should be the valve and the two areas should be connected via hose. I dont have this...

Just installed a procharger today and the clean air hose is spitting oil everywhere.

How do i fix this issue? will installing the PCV on the driver side fix this or do you need to do something special when producing boost?

PS. i can only assume it is the fresh air hose, i have not seen it actually spitting out the oil but there is a great trail leading to this and after reading about blow by and not having the PCV is seems likely. Its dark outside and im pissing off the neighbors.

thanks for the help.

Old 03-21-2012, 04:02 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Whoops. You're applying boost directly to your crankcase with that arrangement.

That "fresh air" hose in the top photo connecting between your throttle body and passenger valvecover needs to be disconnected, and the corresponding throttle body fitting should be capped off. That is allowing a direct path for boost in the manifold to enter the crankcase, which is obviously bad.

---

There are many different ways to set up the PCV system for FI, and you can find a bunch of threads on that over on CZ28.com. Most people install aftermarket oil catch cans / breathers, others use exhaust kits, others use vacuum pumps. Just have to try different ideas and see what works best for you.

The Procharger directions essentially call for a valvecover breather in conjunction with a longer 1/2" hose from the passenger valvecover to the procharger inlet (low-pressure) piping, as well as a hose from the PCV valve to the inlet of the procharger. The idea being that the supercharger inlet will provide some suction to serve as crankcase ventilation / venting. The downside being that it isn't terribly effective for sweeping air through the crankcase, it isn't sealed, and it can suck engine oil into your intake path -- which is why people usually install aftermarket catch-cans on the hoses.

Alternatively, you can hook up the PCV valve as it was in stock form to allow more ventilation at idle, but the stock PCV valve doesn't fully seal when closed, so connecting it to the intake manifold without an additional *proper/leak-proof* check-valve would again allow boost to leak into the crankcase. A valvecover breather would then effectively serve as a vacuum leak when the engine is in vacuum in this instance. Just some things to consider.

At any rate, your #1 priority is to get that hose off the throttle body, and find a different way to vent the crankcase. I wouldn't drive the car until you get at least something temporary figured out. (Sorry if this is a bit incoherent -- it's 4am and I'm exhausted.)

Last edited by Alex94TAGT; 03-21-2012 at 04:15 AM.
Old 03-21-2012, 05:39 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

https://ls1tech.com/forums/11059703-post70.html

Jason, check out the above link. Bob

PM's disabled, please e-mail me
E-mail: brutespeed@gmail.comob@brutespeed.com

https://brutespeed.com/ Link to website

Old 03-21-2012, 06:39 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Thanks guys.

I combined what both of you said and the procharger instructions.

I ended up running the fresh air line to the procharger inlet and the PCV to the procharger inlet as well with one of the home made catch cans (air tool filter).
I will be buying a real catch can soon, this is just temporary.

no oil leaks from above the motor as of now, only drove it a mile though.

there may be a leak elsewhere, cant tell if it is still burning off oil from yesterday or if there is some being pushed out somewhere else.
Old 03-21-2012, 07:56 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Glad you got your issue fixed.

Different subject, I see your running the Cantons. Do you have any leaks from them? If not, what gaskets did you run?
Old 03-21-2012, 08:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

i use the stock gaskets. If i were you i would find other gaskets to use. the stock ones are a pain in the *** to use. i just have not looked into it...
Old 03-21-2012, 08:25 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Im using the blue felpros, and I have a small leak on the passenger side. Mine are covering the AFRs, and I dont know if the provisions for perimiter bolts in the heads are whats causing an issue. Im just confused, because it is only on one side....
Old 03-23-2012, 11:04 AM
TECH Enthusiast

check for to see if the head or valve cover is warped.

Quick Reply: PCV Valve Procharger questions???