LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Brake Light On... Weak Brakes

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2012, 07:49 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Brake Light On... Weak Brakes

Well i went to pick up my car from winter storage and when i came to my first stop the brake light came on and then studdered and brake feeling went hard and required more peddle pressure to stop. Fluids are fine, not leaking fluid, and brake peddle doesnt fade just take extra pressure and greater distance to stop. Seems like my power brakes are gone. The light still hasnt gone out after restarting. Im guessing my abs took a crap? I was eventually looking at getting the SJM ABS Delete and Line Lock kit but i guess now its sooner then later.

Thoughts?
Old 04-01-2012, 09:40 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 95mysticta
Well i went to pick up my car from winter storage and when i came to my first stop the brake light came on and then studdered and brake feeling went hard and required more peddle pressure to stop. Fluids are fine, not leaking fluid, and brake peddle doesnt fade just take extra pressure and greater distance to stop. Seems like my power brakes are gone. The light still hasnt gone out after restarting. Im guessing my abs took a crap? I was eventually looking at getting the SJM ABS Delete and Line Lock kit but i guess now its sooner then later.

Thoughts?
Also could be the Master Cylinder, When mine failed they got a little spungy and required more pedal effort and longer distances in braking.

Something else to look into.

Last edited by ZFreie; 04-02-2012 at 09:20 AM. Reason: Cause I'm stupid
Old 04-01-2012, 09:42 AM
Village Troll

Received 518 Likes on 374 Posts

If the brake light comes on and it's not the e-brake then most likely your fluid is low. Have you checked the level? More pressure to apply brakes indicates your booster is not functioning properly. Check the hose to make sure it is not leaking/dry rotted.
Old 04-01-2012, 10:29 PM
Launching!

^^ this ^^ Usually if the ABS is going your ABS light will come on. Definitely check the booster vacuum line. Maybe check the other vacuum lines to make sure you dont have a leak. It's easy to check the 3 way vacuum valve on the passenger side (if you have a hand pump), otherwise use the good ol lungs to suck or blow. A bad master cylinder would also be the culprit. If the pedal goes down further after coming to a complete stop it could be a leak in one of the internals seals in the master cylinder. It's strange that the brake light is on and the fluid level is good....
Old 04-02-2012, 05:19 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Thank you for spelling "brake" correctly!
Old 04-02-2012, 08:00 AM
TECH Fanatic

I checked the fluid when the light came on after numerous slow downs before pulling off the road. Fluid was up and fine and now two days later i go to check it the fluid is empty. I filled the fluid up and pumped the brakes up to see if it indeed is a leak and couldnt see anything. Im going to take a look at the master and booster to see whats going aswell.
Old 04-02-2012, 09:20 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by RamAir95TA
Thank you for spelling "brake" correctly!
I just noticed this LOL thats what I get for not watching what I'm typing
Old 04-02-2012, 10:24 AM
Village Troll

Received 518 Likes on 374 Posts

Originally Posted by 95mysticta
I checked the fluid when the light came on after numerous slow downs before pulling off the road. Fluid was up and fine and now two days later i go to check it the fluid is empty. I filled the fluid up and pumped the brakes up to see if it indeed is a leak and couldnt see anything. Im going to take a look at the master and booster to see whats going aswell.
If there are no external leaks then the entire system needs to be bled. Do yourself a favor, make it easy and get a GM/Motive brake bleeder.

http://www.amazon.com/Motive-Product...3380247&sr=8-1

You cannot go wrong.
Old 04-05-2012, 07:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Well took it out for a rip tonight to get some load on the system and there is still no loss of fluid or leaks. Seems weird as **** why it went dry or leaked and then now i fill it back up the brake light is still on? WTF. Just gotta find some time when i have a buddy to help bleed the brakes with me and see if this solved the issue.
Old 04-06-2012, 12:33 AM
Launching!

Give me a call tomorrow, I can help you with the brake light and getting it to function normally.

Steve

Quick Reply: Brake Light On... Weak Brakes