LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Dart Heads vs A.I.TrickFlow Heads

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2012, 10:47 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by F0x Slaughter
Uh-oh, look what you did .

That article was bashed and discredited when it released by people complaining that they didn't re-tune the car after every head swap.

Personally, I thought it was a great comparison - just wished it had some other common heads as well - namely the Comp 195s, AI 200s, and LE3s.

At least we all agreed that the Edlebrock heads are junk .
Old 04-04-2012, 10:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What I don't understand, is surely the companies buy a set of the competition out there and try to best those? Why would you put something on the market that is markedly inferior to what your target customer could choose instead.
Old 04-04-2012, 11:23 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by joelster
Doesn't Brady M run a Dart LT1 head? His car is pretty quick. 10.07 at 135 through a t56 at 1550ft. I don't know what is done to them though.
Yes, he has the same ones I do, T4P.
Originally Posted by 96capricemgr
Someone please show us results from Dart LT1 heads, the few results I know of are not anything spectacular.
Knowing virtually all the data is for Gen 1's, if you choose to ignore Gen I data you're purposely ignoring virtually all the data. That's fine except when you're complaining of lack of data.

As mentioned, I expect to exceed my 470 RWHP by a fair bit next time around, but even if I don't--how many hydraulic 355's do you know of that make 470 RWHP? 400+ lb-ft torque?

When most stock cube builds are considered successful if they exceed 400 RWHP and anything over 420 will have you re-posting their dyno sheets all over the internet, I have a hard time believing you'd be so ho-hum about my results if my heads were a different brand.

If it's really an "'objective' ho-hum," based upon data, please provide examples of hydraulic 355 LT1's that do really impress you.

And if you're not impressed with Brady's build, it's a free country I guess. Personally I don't feel right badmouthing a guy's setup when he's about 10 times as fast as me. There are probably quite a few kids in 15 second Hondas that "aren't impressed" with your car either, but how much should their opinion matter to you?

540 RWHP through a 9" without being fully tuned, 10-flats in less than ideal conditions is impressive to me regardless of the brand name stamped on the heads.

There are two LT1 data points, off the top of my head. It may not be many but we have a pretty good average result going so far. I believe Lloyd has ported a few as well as other guys for LT1's but I haven't kept track of what they've done. Again, the vast majority of high dollar ported Darts are on Gen I's. Would you like to see an 800 HP dyno sheet of one of those?
Old 04-04-2012, 11:39 PM
12 Second Club

So Jon, what yo uare saying is, people who bash Dart heads on an LT1 have never really seen what they are bashing, OR, they have seen untouched "As-Cast" heads on the car which of course will not perform up to the standards of AI or LE, BUT if the head is ported properly by someone who knows what they are doing and set-up properly, it has out-performed them all as far as stock cubes go? I just wanna make sure I interpreted that right haha

What are the chances that you could get us some specs and flow numbers for your heads the next time you have them off the car?? I would DEFINITELY like to see that! But I will admit, I was STOKED to have 411 RWHP and 393 RWTQ out of a 357 with LE2's. 470 out of a 355 is a damn good number regardless of how you got it or what brand you are using!
Old 04-05-2012, 02:35 AM
10 Second Club

There are several 700+ hp capable 23° dart programs out there that would work on the small bore. There are also several killer brodix programs, and with brodix converting heads for $300 IIRC there's that option as well. how much do you want to spend?
Old 04-05-2012, 03:53 AM
12 Second Club

A.I. 215's are running around $2600 fully assembled and shipped. I don't really want to break that number if I can avoid it, but depending on what I figure out, I may be willing to flex a little bit if the power gains are worth it.
Old 04-05-2012, 05:04 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Z28Camaro30Ann
So Jon, what yo uare saying is, people who bash Dart heads on an LT1 have never really seen what they are bashing, OR, they have seen untouched "As-Cast" heads on the car which of course will not perform up to the standards of AI or LE,
For the most part, yes.
BUT if the head is ported properly by someone who knows what they are doing and set-up properly, it has out-performed them all as far as stock cubes go?
No, I certainly wouldn't go that far. I don't pay enough attention to these boards anymore to even pretend to know what everybody is using and what their results are. Maybe Dwayne will post some examples that put my results to shame.

Also, my setup is far from optimized. It really shouldn't be hard to beat it, it could be done with several different heads. Just because I haven't heard about it doesn't mean it hasn't happened. I plan to beat it myself with the same heads by optimizing the things around them a bit better. That said, I do think my results are pretty darn strong for the first dyno after just slapping things together. Strong enough there should be no doubt the heads are capable of big power (as if Brady's results didn't already show that).

And I can guarantee you one thing, following the setup most recommended here for such a build, the cookie cutter stock ported heads and intake setup isn't going to stand a chance.
What are the chances that you could get us some specs and flow numbers for your heads the next time you have them off the car??
My particular pair were never flowed, I didn't have much interest in having it done. They're the same port as Brady's which went 332 CFM IIRC on a 4.03, but a different VJ so they're probably a tad below that. The valves are only 2.04" and the chambers are shaped to work very well with small bore blocks. I'll think about it next time I have them off the car.

Like I've said though, these are but one example of a really well done head, there are plenty of others. These will be way above your $2600 number, but there are some choices that should come closer and are still really good.
Old 04-05-2012, 05:16 AM
10 Second Club

would you be interested in converting a sbc head over? that would open up some doors. The heads I'd recommend would run ~1950 shipped plus a few hundred for welding and machining. They're in the 215cc range, send me a PM if you'd like more info
Old 04-05-2012, 06:34 AM
10 Second Club

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Jon A
When most stock cube builds are considered successful if they exceed 400 RWHP and anything over 420 will have you re-posting their dyno sheets all over the internet, I have a hard time believing you'd be so ho-hum about my results if my heads were a different brand.

If it's really an "'objective' ho-hum," based upon data, please provide examples of hydraulic 355 LT1's that do really impress you.

And if you're not impressed with Brady's build, it's a free country I guess. Personally I don't feel right badmouthing a guy's setup when he's about 10 times as fast as me. There are probably quite a few kids in 15 second Hondas that "aren't impressed" with your car either, but how much should their opinion matter to you?

Would you like to see an 800 HP dyno sheet of one of those?
He's a one-trick pony. If it had AI heads he'd be impressed, and he would tell the world. Since it doesn't he'll keep quiet or he'll say that it's inconclusive or not enough data, or outside of the norm for that brand. He NEVER gives credit where credit is due unless it's got the AI stamp on it.

Personally I like seeing all of the different builds, and the parts that guys use to break from the mold.
Old 04-06-2012, 07:53 AM
duh
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'd take a look at BadHawk's Brodix setup....
Old 04-06-2012, 08:28 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

In short... don't limit your options to just LTx reverse cooling heads... some guys recommended gen 1 heads (darts, brodix, etc.). I am interested to see what you decide.
Old 09-18-2012, 04:36 PM
12 Second Club

Received 46 Likes on 32 Posts

Just going to put a BAZINGA in here to see if I can get Z28Camaro30Ann to give us some closure to this thread and why he chose TEA trickflows over these other options.

Quick Reply: Dart Heads vs A.I.TrickFlow Heads