LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

What gains can I expect from a Dyno tune on a bolt-on 93 Formula?

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2012, 11:28 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default What gains can I expect from a Dyno tune on a bolt-on 93 Formula?

Hey guys, I know this is kind of vague but I would like to know what I can expect for HP gains from a good dyno tune. I've been debating whether or not to just get a PCMforless tune for my bolt-ons or go for a more accurate dyno tune.

As my car sits now:
Dynatech LT's 1-3/4 Primaries
Heated O2's (Delco)
Custom ORY into SLP LM1
3:73's
Functional Ram-Air box
EGR deleted
AIR deleted
I dynoed it last year on a dynojet and put down 293/323 for power. The car runs decent but is throwing all sorts of codes (for obvious reasons) and I know it could run way better. It's running on the rich side for sure because my fuel mileage sucks now and it smells also. And i'm also sick and tired of it cracking and popping every time I shift down when coming to a stop, it's embarrassing and it just annoying as hell.

So I guess my main question is what should I expect for gains and and would you recommend just a PCMforless tune or is a dynotune worth it for just bolt-ons.

Thanks
Old 04-04-2012, 11:36 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Get the dyno tune if funds allow it....my local dyno tuner picked up 11 RWHP over my mail order PCM for less tune on my old cam only setup....also they can adjust part throttle tuning for much better driveability and gas mileage. PCM for less just adjusts tables for WOT as I understand it. You will probably get somewhere between 10-25 HP gain from untuned PCM.
Old 04-04-2012, 12:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by ahritchie
Get the dyno tune if funds allow it....my local dyno tuner picked up 11 RWHP over my mail order PCM for less tune on my old cam only setup....also they can adjust part throttle tuning for much better driveability and gas mileage. PCM for less just adjusts tables for WOT as I understand it. You will probably get somewhere between 10-25 HP gain from untuned PCM.
Thanks for the reply, that sounds like what I need to do. I want better drivability and i'm also trying for a goal of a 12.99 1/4 mile with just boltons and a good tune. I can tell there is a lot left on the table with stock tune.
Old 04-04-2012, 12:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by ahritchie
Get the dyno tune if funds allow it

^^this
Old 04-04-2012, 12:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

where you plan on getting it dyno at?
Old 04-04-2012, 12:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by pillarpod
where you plan on getting it dyno at?
C&S Motorsports in Omaha, NE. Very reputable shop that has turned out some badass cars including a few of my buddies.
Old 04-04-2012, 12:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

They do alot of tuning with LT? I went to Excessive up in Sioux Falls, he's alright but he's more in to tuners cars and i kinda want mine redone. Plus he's a monopoly since he's the only one.
Old 04-04-2012, 12:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by pillarpod
They do alot of tuning with LT? I went to Excessive up in Sioux Falls, he's alright but he's more in to tuners cars and i kinda want mine redone. Plus he's a monopoly since he's the only one.
I've heard mixed things about Excessive, I personally wouldn't use him myself.

Tom at C&S is an absolute genius when it comes to tuning. He is very particular and has tuned many 1,000+ HP cars in his day. He is more of a GM guy and knows them very well and has done many LT1s and LSx cars with great success. I would recommend him.
Old 04-04-2012, 04:12 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm planning a tune after I put the headers on at the end of the month. But im going with Moe Bailey.
Old 04-04-2012, 04:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by 93M6Formula
I've heard mixed things about Excessive, I personally wouldn't use him myself.

Tom at C&S is an absolute genius when it comes to tuning. He is very particular and has tuned many 1,000+ HP cars in his day. He is more of a GM guy and knows them very well and has done many LT1s and LSx cars with great success. I would recommend him.
If he has the ability to burn new chips then dyno tune. I've ran Alvins bolt-on tune for like 8 years with no problems. Alvin @ pcmforless. Factor the cost, a bolt-on tune is not that complicated.

Quick Reply: What gains can I expect from a Dyno tune on a bolt-on 93 Formula?