LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

wtf happened to my car?

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2012, 11:07 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BadBirdie
well it finally stopped raining so i tried maf cleaner as well as throttle body cleaner and no such luck.

i've determined its all about the start. sometimes it will start up just fine and drive just fine as well. other times the start will be a little rough, and then i have my problem where it feels like the car doesnt want to accelerate.

but heres the thing, if i have a bad start and i have this problem i can just pull over and shut it off and restart it and sometimes it will run fine, sometimes it will take 2 or 3 restarts.

so it depends on how the car starts. i feel like its something so simple like something is just loose, but i just can put my finger on it.
Random starting issues are often caused by a faulty Ignition Control Module...my car's gone through a couple of these over the years. Another LT1 ignition related weakness second only to the dreaded opti. It will cause sudden loss of power when acting up too...
Old 05-08-2012, 12:21 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just ordered a HEI spark tester so hopefully i'll know what the problem is in 3 to 5 days. Until then just gotta hope for a good start!
Old 05-08-2012, 06:17 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BadBirdie
I just ordered a HEI spark tester so hopefully i'll know what the problem is in 3 to 5 days. Until then just gotta hope for a good start!

That should help diagnose the problem. If it is a worn out distributor the engine will start to miss and stall once the car is warmed up (the rotor being worn out, won't be able to touch the contact points on the cap and that's when it misses an dies, but will restart when cooled off). The other less likely problems are weak coil, or poorly insulated wires (you say you changed them recently, be sure you used the dialectic grease properly on the wires, particularly the coil wire.)

Good luck. LT1 is never fun to diagnose for electrical.

Quick Reply: wtf happened to my car?