LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

DTC PO441 question about the emission lines. help needed.

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2012, 06:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DTC PO441 question about the emission lines. help needed.

Well the PO441 code has got me stressed out. I started by replacing the solenoid but when i took it off i noticed black bits so i went ahead and replaced the canister as well. when i took it off i decided to follow the "purge" line to see if it hooked up to the solenoid in the front of the car, i found it just dangling there after about 2 feet of the line, i started the car to see if it was sucking air in and it was. so i went back to the canister and saw that the line in the middle that is labeled "Air" connects all the way up to the purge solenoid. is this correct? or do i need to switch the two? where exactly should all three of the hoses hook up? is the one line not hooked up to anything supposed to be?

Is that line supposed to be connected to the line labeled "air" on the canister?
Old 05-06-2012, 07:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Well that solonoid is open or closed, so it has no idea which is connected where. When the ECM says purge it opens.
Old 05-06-2012, 07:05 PM

Ya i see what your saying, but if they are backwards then it would get incorrect purge flow.. giving it the code
Old 05-06-2012, 09:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The 96-97 have a vacuum switch that is also in line with the purge solenoid. It is what tells the pcm that you have purge during non purge. Its either the solenoid stuck open or the vaccum switch that is not reading properly.
Old 05-07-2012, 02:45 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Your in Hoosierland Delete that **** I grew up in New Castle In & never had to worry about any smog crap just get block off plates & tune it out or have a person tune all the B.S out your life will be a lot easier lol
Old 05-07-2012, 06:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

OP, which 3 lines are you referring to, the ones on the charcoal canister? If you are, one of them goes to the fuel tank, one is a vent to atmosphere, and the other runs all the way to the front of the car, and runs into the vacuum switch. Here's all the lines and how they are hooked up on the engine:

Old 05-12-2012, 11:21 AM

Thanks and yes those are the lines. i cleaned out the lines and deleted the codes and it has not come on for 200 miles now. if it comes back on im going to replace the vacuum switch. i already replaced the charcoal canister and purge solenoid

Quick Reply: DTC PO441 question about the emission lines. help needed.