LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Failed Opti? Come Inside!

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2012, 09:59 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Failed Opti? Come Inside!

My DD LT1 is getting in the annoying habit of chewing through opti's like it's going out of style. I'm looking into doing the LTCC conversion, but (thanks to Lethal Bird) I understand that this kit still uses the opti for a cam position sensor.

What are the chances that my current (bad) opti has an issue with this cam position sensor? Is this a common issue?

Essentially it comes down to this: Do I put a new opti in, or go for the LTCC kit? This all depends on weather there is a high chance of having the issue with the opti as the cam position sensor.

Thanks!

Yes, before you bring it up, I know about the 24x conversion, but I really don't want to spend that kind of money on this car.
Old 05-09-2012, 02:52 AM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I put in a MSD Billet Opti 7 years ago and haven't had a problem since. Nice and smooth inj now. Out of curiosity I put it on and old engine scope the old analog one and it was as smooth as it should have been. No cut outs and nothing wild going on anywhere in the rpm band.

I was thinking about the LSx conversion too, till I seen the price tag. You can go get the FAST 2.0 for that kind of money is what I was thinking. And you get a nice tuning dvd to go along with it that I checked into and looks to b very helpful in getting you start with the program.

24x is some neat equipment though.
Old 05-09-2012, 03:00 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

what is the ltcc kit? and how much is it anyways i got my 24x kit for 900 or 1000 peicing it together
Old 05-09-2012, 03:01 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Bigtoyz
I put in a MSD Billet Opti 7 years ago and haven't had a problem since. Nice and smooth inj now. Out of curiosity I put it on and old engine scope the old analog one and it was as smooth as it should have been. No cut outs and nothing wild going on anywhere in the rpm band.

I was thinking about the LSx conversion too, till I seen the price tag. You can go get the FAST 2.0 for that kind of money is what I was thinking. And you get a nice tuning dvd to go along with it that I checked into and looks to b very helpful in getting you start with the program.

24x is some neat equipment though.
can i ask why your going twin turbo rears?
Old 05-09-2012, 04:58 AM
Launching!

easier and cleaner install, and less heat under the hood. And hear that you can get it so little or no lag. With that dont have to try and cram all that stuff under the hood is the big kicker. And I can get into it chear than going back to a bigger procharger. And better mpg than supercharger also.
Old 05-09-2012, 05:01 AM
Launching!

I guess if a person could piece it together for 900-1000 bucks I might look into it and see what I can find.
Old 05-09-2012, 05:55 AM
TECH Fanatic

I would focus on why your car is eating opti's instead of focusing on switching systems.

What brands are you killing?

I have a Chandler and its been a dream. For 100 bucks you cant go wrong.
Old 05-09-2012, 08:54 AM
Launching!

from what i have experienced stock opti can not take aftermarket coils, just to hot of current. When stock coil was on it was fine, went to blaster2 coil and 6AL box smoked 2 caps and rotors in no time.

You could try just putting on a MSD cap and rotor if your are running aftermarket inj system. They are made out of better material and routed a little different so that they wont arc across circut in the cap. And bigger bearings if I remember correctly. From what was advertised when it came out it had a a different style of optical pickup. Which is suppose to be better.

I just wanted to make sure I didn't have to take it all apart again. So I just replaced the whole works.
Old 05-09-2012, 09:44 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by tt383lt1
what is the ltcc kit? and how much is it anyways i got my 24x kit for 900 or 1000 peicing it together
http://www.bailey-eng.com/LTCC.html

Originally Posted by nascarnate326
I would focus on why your car is eating opti's instead of focusing on switching systems.

What brands are you killing?

I have a Chandler and its been a dream. For 100 bucks you cant go wrong.
I've plowed through a GM opti and a Summit opti since November.
Old 05-09-2012, 10:00 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

You have a issue that is killing the optis and you need to figure it out instead of just replacing them. Are you sure it is even the opti? Have you checked the ICM, the opti harness, The icm harness, Have you check the vent lines going to the opti to make sure that there isn't suction causing the cap to be pulled down on the rotor? Has the cam been replace and the dowel pin not been checked?
Old 05-09-2012, 11:18 AM
On The Tree

Have you checked the camshaft end play?
Old 05-09-2012, 12:11 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Adam1203
You have a issue that is killing the optis and you need to figure it out instead of just replacing them. Are you sure it is even the opti? Have you checked the ICM, the opti harness, The icm harness, Have you check the vent lines going to the opti to make sure that there isn't suction causing the cap to be pulled down on the rotor? Has the cam been replace and the dowel pin not been checked?
That was my first thought.
Old 05-09-2012, 09:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Mystery Bird
This could be the issue.

OP, if the pin is too long it may be causing premature sensor/bearing failure. I kind of covered this in the PM I sent.

Do you feel it click in so that the three mounting areas are perfectly flush before screwing it down?
Old 05-10-2012, 08:29 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Mystery Bird
Yah well I would have made that mistake if I didn't read a million post before installing my cam. So I would assume others could have.

I read your thread how to get to 11s and see you run at Lebanon valley. If you go up sometime shoot me a pm I live close to that track would love to check your car out and get some pointers for mine.
Old 05-10-2012, 10:05 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Adam1203
Yah well I would have made that mistake if I didn't read a million post before installing my cam. So I would assume others could have.

I read your thread how to get to 11s and see you run at Lebanon valley. If you go up sometime shoot me a pm I live close to that track would love to check your car out and get some pointers for mine.
Yeah, if I can ever get my new engine/trans finished I will go.

Quick Reply: Failed Opti? Come Inside!