LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

LT1 dyno tuners...what happened to them?

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2012, 08:24 PM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by wrd1972
My tuner will no longer take new LT1 cars becasue most of the ones that show up, have issues and are not ready to be tuned. Most new LT1s he normally sees have ignition (opti) problems or something else wrong and it turns into something much larger than just a normal dyno tune. Most of the guys who have LT1 cars around here have them hill-jacked and thrown together and its just no longer profitiable to fool with them. Also they tend to be pissed off when they dont make the power of the LS1 cars and then cant accept reality.

He did recently tune mine however becasue he can count on my motor being "built right" with no issues to chase other than the ones relevant to the tune itself. BTW he charges insanely low prices compared to what is stated above and the quality of the work is very very good. He spent 4 hours on mine and only charged me $150.

In short, most good tuners simply dont want to screw with them anymore especially if they are coverd up with LSX jobs.

Pretty well stated.
Old 05-09-2012, 10:16 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm in Charlotte as well OP. The only place I found was a shop named pcm calibrators. They're in rock hill, and rent out prodyno's shop in Fort Mill. He quoted me like $400 something for a street tune, then he'd finish on the dyno
http://www.pcmcalibrators.net/contact.html
Old 05-09-2012, 10:26 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I encourage anyone considering Carolina Auto Masters to do some reading in the PCM forum.... he's done a LOT of very hacked ****.
Old 05-10-2012, 08:48 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by wrd1972
My tuner will no longer take new LT1 cars becasue most of the ones that show up, have issues and are not ready to be tuned. Most new LT1s he normally sees have ignition (opti) problems or something else wrong and it turns into something much larger than just a normal dyno tune. Most of the guys who have LT1 cars around here have them hill-jacked and thrown together and its just no longer profitiable to fool with them. Also they tend to be pissed off when they dont make the power of the LS1 cars and then cant accept reality.

He did recently tune mine however becasue he can count on my motor being "built right" with no issues to chase other than the ones relevant to the tune itself. BTW he charges insanely low prices compared to what is stated above and the quality of the work is very very good. He spent 4 hours on mine and only charged me $150.

In short, most good tuners simply dont want to screw with them anymore especially if they are coverd up with LSX jobs.
Sucks that those of us that spend months/years on a build to do it right get shunned from the tuners because of slapped together hillbilly builds and optispark paranoia. I guess I can see their point of view...my first dyno tune I was that guy with shitty results due to fouled plugs due to a bad coolant sensor and overly rich mail order tune and had to come back a week later to finish lol.

Originally Posted by blakez28
I'm in Charlotte as well OP. The only place I found was a shop named pcm calibrators. They're in rock hill, and rent out prodyno's shop in Fort Mill. He quoted me like $400 something for a street tune, then he'd finish on the dyno
I sent them an email for a quote as well; anybody use this place? I would prefer to go somewhere with decent reviews/results.

RPM motorsports replied back and quoted $450 for a full street and dyno tune....they did mention: "As you know the 94 PCM is a little stubborn sometimes, so if you have a spare PCM bring it with you" I never knew my PCM was such a bitch to tune lol.
Old 05-10-2012, 09:23 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by gregrob
I encourage anyone considering Carolina Auto Masters to do some reading in the PCM forum.... he's done a LOT of very hacked ****.
Uh oh... https://ls1tech.com/forums/forced-in...ding-area.html

https://ls1tech.com/forums/pcm-diagn...-not-tune.html

Looks like the LS folks don't care for him too much Might just have to keep looking....sucks you got to sort through what few tuners who are left to figure out who actually knows what their doing.
Old 05-10-2012, 09:43 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by DVS LT1
I know you are saying you are down south but doesn't Bryan Herter still tune for PCM for less? I've been planning on having him do a dyno-tune on my car as soon as I can get my act together. He has/had a location in Ohio to dyno tune. Isn't Bryan normall based in PA or something? (might have a location there).
There is a PCM for less location right here in my town...Alvin will no longer touch a LT1 car...I far as I know Bryan only does mail order tunes...he did mine and it's way rich. PA is a LONG drive (9 hours) from NC anyways lol @ 11 mpg would be a VERY expensive round trip Looks like I will probably go to some shop in Raleigh/Durham as that seems to be the LT1 shop mecca for some reason
Old 05-10-2012, 09:57 AM
TECH Addict

This guy just replies back to me...he says his tuner "Tom" has 10 years LT1 tuning experience and he wants $600 for a dyno tune; probably because it's a stroker. Seems kinda high though since RPM only wants $450 and I've never heard of him...looks like it's between RPM and Mayhem.
Old 05-10-2012, 12:32 PM
Village Troll

Received 536 Likes on 388 Posts

Okay nevermind then. Last I heard Creech was a "tuning god" for LT1 cars, but that was years ago.
Old 05-10-2012, 01:49 PM
TECH Resident

Received 111 Likes on 87 Posts

We have had Bryan Herter fly out here to AZ several times and do 20+ dyno tunes in one day.
Old 05-10-2012, 02:38 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by gjohnsonws6
We have had Bryan Herter fly out here to AZ several times and do 20+ dyno tunes in one day.
^Wow...I don't see how he can tune that many cars in such a short period of time; must be a freaking wizard or reusing tunes...every tuner I have talked to wants the car for at least half a day if not ALL day for dyno tuning.

I've gotten replies from about every tuner within 200 miles that will bother with a LT1 and have narrowed it down to 2 options (possibly 3) based on cost and reputation:

1. RPM motorsports in Garner; wants $450 for the full street and dyno tune.(3hrs away)
2. Mayhem motorsports in Raleigh; wants $400 for full dyno/driveability all day on the dyno. (3hrs away)

*3. Tick performance in Mt. Airy....I just called them again, they have parted ways with PCM for less BUT they are getting a dyno installed RIGHT NOW in their new Mt. Airy shop (2hrs away) and are reopening next week. They said they will still mess with LT1s But, the new tuner that starts next week was primarily a Ford tuner ...I dunno if he should be trusted or not haha.

What's the consensus on these choices?
Old 05-10-2012, 05:57 PM
TECH Resident

Received 111 Likes on 87 Posts

Start out around 8:30 in the morning,and as one would come off the dyno and another one strapped down,he goes to next up sits with you in the car asks you all the things that need to be known then configure and download a base tune then make several pulls and fine tune and that's it. Till at least 10 at night. $300 a pop
Old 05-10-2012, 09:46 PM
11 Second Club

For OBD2 Jim at speedinc is great, for OBD1 Ion stops by the shop a couple times a year to do them
Old 05-10-2012, 10:33 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by ahritchie

1. RPM motorsports in Garner; wants $450 for the full street and dyno tune.(3hrs away)
2. Mayhem motorsports in Raleigh; wants $400 for full dyno/driveability all day on the dyno. (3hrs away)

*3. Tick performance in Mt. Airy....I just called them again, they have parted ways with PCM for less BUT they are getting a dyno installed RIGHT NOW in their new Mt. Airy shop (2hrs away) and are reopening next week. They said they will still mess with LT1s But, the new tuner that starts next week was primarily a Ford tuner ...I dunno if he should be trusted or not haha.

What's the consensus on these choices?
Never had any dealings with Tick but I hear they are pretty stand up guys. Rpm also produces some fast cars out of their shop. But mayhem is the guys I let tune my car and I trust them to do things right. Mayhem is who I've always trusted to work on my car. All three are forums sponsors on our local message board.
Old 05-10-2012, 11:06 PM
Staging Lane

you couldn't pay me to take my car to Creech at CAM. Highly recommend RPM or Mayhem. Had my car tuned at RPM and couldn't be happier. Both have great reputations!
Old 05-10-2012, 11:09 PM
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by bmxbandit
you couldn't pay me to take my car to Creech at CAM. Highly recommend RPM or Mayhem. Had my car tuned at RPM and couldn't be happier. Both have great reputations!
I wouldn't trust him to wreak my car, oh wait he already did that to a customer. What a dickbag.
Old 05-10-2012, 11:52 PM
TECH Regular

Like I said. There's a guy in rock hill that does a street tune then finishes on the dyno for $450. His Ohio shop has multiple dynos as well. PCM calibrators
Old 05-10-2012, 11:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Wow...this is really a problem for some of you guys isnt it? Thankfully skilled tuners are not scare here in NE Florida. While some people go the LSX pcm rought I still prefer the stock pcm and have not had problems with tuning peoples cars while doing so. Keep the faith...it aint all that bad.
Old 05-11-2012, 07:53 AM
TECH Addict

Like I said. There's a guy in rock hill that does a street tune then finishes on the dyno for $450. His Ohio shop has multiple dynos as well. PCM calibrators
Not for my 383 setup...he want's $600 for that only $350 for just a street tune The $150-200 I save by going to RPM or Mayhem should more than pay for my gas and both seem to be more well known for good work while this other guy....who knows. I just hope I don't have any mechanical issue after driving 3hrs away lol
Old 05-11-2012, 08:21 AM
TECH Regular

^^Ok cool. Wasn't sure if you saw my post. Post a dyno thread after!
Old 05-11-2012, 09:37 AM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I think one thing to keep in mind, over the last several years, the software for the LS based cars has gotten a lot better and easier to use. But I still think is stands to reason, though some one can navigate software doesn't necessarily indicate that they can really tune. So looking at it, if some one has a proven track record, it may be worth the difference in price.

Quick Reply: LT1 dyno tuners...what happened to them?