LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

LT1 dyno tuners...what happened to them?

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2012, 09:55 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BizZzatch350
I think one thing to keep in mind, over the last several years, the software for the LS based cars has gotten a lot better and easier to use. But I still think is stands to reason, though some one can navigate software doesn't necessarily indicate that they can really tune. So looking at it, if some one has a proven track record, it may be worth the difference in price.
I agree. If you remember what Ed Wright was charging people to fix there high stall issues for obd1. It was crazy high but he was the only one at the time who could fix it.
Old 05-11-2012, 02:11 PM
TECH Addict

Received 77 Likes on 56 Posts

^^ is that the issue where the car goes into limp mode when doing a burnout? Or is it the issue where your on the limiter for a while befor she changes gear? Just curious because I dont have the limiter issue anymore, but the limp mode bullshit has happened.
Old 05-11-2012, 03:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by trilkb
^^ is that the issue where the car goes into limp mode when doing a burnout? Or is it the issue where your on the limiter for a while befor she changes gear? Just curious because I dont have the limiter issue anymore, but the limp mode bullshit has happened.
Thats pretty much it. Obd1 cars with usually anything above a 2800 converter will not shift 1-2 on a hard launch. It will go into limp mode and will be stuck in 2nd gear until you recycle the ignition. There is a fix for it now and many people who are familiar with Tunercat or LT1edit usually know how to fix it. However according to some of the people posting, its starting to be hard to find a competent LT1 tuner.
Old 05-11-2012, 08:04 PM
TECH Addict

Yep, my car had the "stall wall" at one time. The trans went from 1st gear, straight to 3rd gear, until you would cycle the ignition.

I had my setup tuned at AMS in West Chicago. Everything went great, rock hard idle, crisp throttle response, no complaints here. Larry took care of me.
Old 05-12-2012, 09:12 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by wrd1972
My tuner will no longer take new LT1 cars becasue most of the ones that show up, have issues and are not ready to be tuned. Most new LT1s he normally sees have ignition (opti) problems or something else wrong and it turns into something much larger than just a normal dyno tune. Most of the guys who have LT1 cars around here have them hill-jacked and thrown together and its just no longer profitiable to fool with them. Also they tend to be pissed off when they dont make the power of the LS1 cars and then cant accept reality.
I helped a friend take a car to a Subaru tuner and that guy told me he almost never gets cars in that done have issues. I am not saying your wrong because you are probably right but it seems odd after what that guy told me.

I have yet to find an lt1 tuner that is in a reasonable drive and I am willing to go up to 5 hours in one direction.
Old 05-13-2012, 08:40 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Bryan at Dyno Tune motorsports in Columbus Ohio can do LT1's, he is a great guy and has many references to back him up. Also, Backstreet performance in Medina ohio can, but.. I hear nothing but bad about them.
Old 05-13-2012, 09:58 AM
On The Tree

Everyone seems to tune their own now. In the last 15 years or so I've noticed that --in road racing particularly-- guys have almost completely gone from letting someone tune it on the chassis dyno, to tuning it themselves at the track.

Couple that with more inexpensive software and tons of information via message boards and it's really no wonder (to me) why there aren't as many around now.
Old 05-13-2012, 05:46 PM
TECH Regular

I have a tune but data logging shows idle fuel is all wrong. How could I fix just that? I have tuner cat and data master.
Old 06-06-2012, 12:54 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Great news everyone; PCM for less has not completely abandoned LT1 dyno tuning! After a recommendation from a friend , I was able to get a hold of Alvin directly who let me know they DO tune LT1's "sparingly" lol, basically as long as it's not a slapped together POS with issues; the people that answer the phone there will tell you otherwise ha ha..."Sorry, we don't dyno tune LT1's anymore". I'm dropping it off on July 9th and Alvin will spend a couple days with the car driving and dynoing it for optimal driveability and my build will officially be "completed" other than tinting the windows and a shift light install
Old 06-06-2012, 01:23 PM
10 Second Club

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

For anyone that needs a tune it's always wise to ****** a 2nd computer whenever you see one. As stated earlier if you've ever tuned an LT1 or watched as an LT1 is being tuned it takes a while to reflash the computer and if anything happens to the laptop, or the cars battery, just a slight hiccup, you can fry the computer and be stuck with nothing. You can find spare computers on ebay every now and then or search in the classifieds when people are parting cars out.

Quick Reply: LT1 dyno tuners...what happened to them?