LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Potential future C4 owner, Please Help :)

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2012, 02:45 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Potential future C4 owner, Please Help :)

Hi guys I currently have a 98z28 m6 STOCK and am getting ready to fix all the tiny things with it and polish it up to sell it to get into something different... I'd like to get a C5 but I like NOT having a loan more lol

My question #1 Has anybody moved from an f-body to a C4 before? I figured people have upgraded as far as years and performance and have only gone C5 and above so I might be one of the rare ones lol

#2 Will I feel much slower than my current car? I mean the C4 weighs 120lbs less but has approximately the same hp. I know the LT4 C4 is even if not out run an LS1 but how about an LT1? I assume with minimal bolt-ons and or a hot-cam it'll be even? My budgets 7to12k for the right car with less than 65k millage, I'm sure I can find something

I don't track or drag race my car. I want a good looking/fun/m6 car as my DD that when my right foot feels the need for speed, it's there I think for those purposes the C4 might just be fine.

Any complaints or anything holding it back from being a DD and putting 60miles round trip with it everyday for school?

Sorry if this is too long guys, but I appreciate any input, thanks and have a lovely Thursday
Old 05-10-2012, 05:32 AM
TECH Addict

Received 77 Likes on 56 Posts

just drive one and see. You may love it, you may hate it. A fbody is more practical. For a daily driver I passed up a c4 when I had the cash to get one. But Im not you, and my needs are different. The high rocker panels and small foot wells, no back seat and limited storage were some factors. The one I drove rode rough and had the bad rear end gears, it rattled quite a bit. Id love one as a weekend toy though.
Old 05-10-2012, 05:42 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I love the C4, but not as a DD.

For DD status I would look into a higher mileage C5 before I went with a low mileage C4.
Old 05-10-2012, 07:09 AM
TECH Fanatic

C4 vette cons are the passanger side compartment is small and sucks for passangers sometimes, the digital dash always go out, make sure it works or it will be expensive to fix correctly.

C5 vette over 75k watch for a few things, first the pcv hoses like to crack everywhere, also the front knock sensors have issues and need the harnesses replaced and while your at it replace the intake seals. Another issue with ls engines is the water pumps like to go out around 60-90k miles. But one pro is they dont have an opti spark.

Eithet way you go it will be a big upgrade over any f body. They handle better, look better, drive better and chicks love vettes. Its a win win all around
Old 05-10-2012, 08:08 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I went from a c4 to a camaro. The C4 was a lot of fun but i swear that thing had more freaking problems then any car I have ever owned. Fuel pumps are really easy to change on them. They handle great compared to the fbody.

Personally I like my fbody better in most ways except handling. But It was a fun car and if you want one I say go for it. I will be honest I never meet a chick that went OOOOOOOO a corvette though. Plus its really hard to bring a corvette in the bar with yah but hey who knows.
Old 05-10-2012, 10:58 AM
TECH Fanatic

The Bar+ corvette not a winning combo. Cruising the beach with the targa off = meeting chicks. Just saying. And you vette can not be busted either. Not saying your is/ was just saying.
Old 05-10-2012, 12:09 PM
Village Troll

Received 534 Likes on 386 Posts

Originally Posted by 96TransAmboosted
Cruising the beach with the targa off = meeting chicks.
1985 called and wants your logic back.

2012 called. It was Pedo Bear and he completely agrees with you.
Old 05-10-2012, 12:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by SS RRR
1985 called and wants your logic back.

2012 called. It was Pedo Bear and he completely agrees with you.
Old 05-10-2012, 02:37 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by 96TransAmboosted
The Bar+ corvette not a winning combo. Cruising the beach with the targa off = meeting chicks. Just saying. And you vette can not be busted either. Not saying your is/ was just saying.
the majority of the population doesn't live on the coast. second 95% of girls could care less what you drive as long as it isnt a pile of crap. Im willing to bet 99% of girls would take a convertible sebring over a fixed roof corvette.

besides the atmosphere of cars is changing. the idea of owning a big v8 car is becoming taboo. i have gone back to college and girls would their would be more impressed if I told them I drove a Prius then a corvette. I dont even tell them about my camaro or my truck.

Sorry about the grammar Kinda in a rush to get to work.
Old 05-10-2012, 05:38 PM
TECH Regular

The suspension rides like a lumber wagon, even with the comfort ride option. The thing has no head room. The seat is about 2 inch to narrow. Im 6'2" 240 and think it is the most uncomfortable cramped piece of **** car I've ever owned. when getting out I just roll on all fours and stand up LOL. I don't feel bad, because some dumbass paid 40K for it brand new 19 years ago. The climate control system is crap, the dash is suspect and brinks like the alternator is going bad. The power seats make a growling noise when you adjust them. Autos have a weak *** Dana 36 that could grenade at any given moment when making a nitrous pass. Tires are 250 bones a piece. Of course there is the imfamous Opti. And I would never trade it because I love it.
Old 05-10-2012, 10:43 PM
Staging Lane

Pedo bear, classic. That icon needs to be added to the list. Well, we have this thing

The dana 36 will have 2.59 gears, unless it was optioned then will have 3.07s. The LT1 C4s do break alot. I'm fixing **** on mine every other weekend. Everything is made of plastic and breaks way too easy. Being 6 ft and only 170lb, the car fits like a glove and handles like it's on rails.

Tires(mentioned above), weather stripping and the cheap leather seats will go up fast and cost a good bit to replace. C4s were not created to be DDs. If that is your direction, buy a C5. They are more domesticated.
Old 05-11-2012, 12:31 AM
TECH Addict

Received 77 Likes on 56 Posts

I think youd be happier dumping some money into your 98 camaro. Cam that bitch.
Old 05-11-2012, 11:01 AM
TECH Addict

My dad used to have a 92 Corvette convertible...same aqua color as the one above^. They do handle a bit better but the high door sills are a pain in the ***; and there's not much room for big feet in the narrow *** footwell of the car especially if it's a 6 spd car like my dad's. I wouldn't really recommend the car however; it has WAY more electrical do dads and various sensors like tire pressure sensors and lots of idiot lights; combined with the 80's style digital gauges it can be a expensive car to fix electrical/sensor issues when something goes bad which it will sooner or later. Not much storage room at all compared to a C5 Vette or F-body. Also, the exhaust system is far too quiet lol
Old 05-11-2012, 05:25 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Fly on the wall
Pedo bear, classic. That icon needs to be added to the list. Well, we have this thing

The dana 36 will have 2.59 gears, unless it was optioned then will have 3.07s. The LT1 C4s do break alot. I'm fixing **** on mine every other weekend. Everything is made of plastic and breaks way too easy. Being 6 ft and only 170lb, the car fits like a glove and handles like it's on rails.

Tires(mentioned above), weather stripping and the cheap leather seats will go up fast and cost a good bit to replace. C4s were not created to be DDs. If that is your direction, buy a C5. They are more domesticated.
The car does handle like it is on rails and it feels like it has more torque than my 94 Z-28 had when it was stock. My weight on the car is 3130 with 1/2 tank of gas minus spare tire, jack and mufflers. The factory bose radio is ****. All in all my Camaro was a much better ride but the Corvette has something you can't put into words.
Old 05-11-2012, 06:14 PM
On The Tree

Went from fbody to c4 hell I went from a monster to a crossfire and now own a lt1 vette and love it my dash works great is decently fast and turns like a champ with regular up keep the don't break any more than any other lt1 plus they are rated at 300 from the factor how ever if I was buying a c4 again and I couldn't get a zr1 I would get a 6spd tpi car just because the aftermarket for 1st gen small block is so much bigger and cheaper pleas feel free to pm me any questions I have owned a c4 for 10 years now and I will probal catch hell for this but I picked my c4 over a c5 just my preference if I really want a lsx powered vette I will just swap it later
Old 05-11-2012, 06:54 PM
On The Tree

Last thing I have gone 12.3 @ 116 with 700 in mods and I paid 5k for my car if you don't want to run spray nock 400 of that off and my fastest so far is 13.0 @108
Old 05-11-2012, 07:45 PM
TECH Regular

My mom bought a 93 40th anniversary a few months ago. It feels pretty quick but really rides like crap compared to my TA with Strano/bilstein's. It does have the handling package with Bistein's on it. Kind of a pita to get in and out of and the seats are quite narrow. Handles great though. Don't know if I'd want one for a DD but drive one and see how you like it.
Old 05-11-2012, 07:53 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by turtle93
Went from fbody to c4 hell I went from a monster to a crossfire and now own a lt1 vette and love it my dash works great is decently fast and turns like a champ with regular up keep the don't break any more than any other lt1 plus they are rated at 300 from the factor how ever if I was buying a c4 again and I couldn't get a zr1 I would get a 6spd tpi car just because the aftermarket for 1st gen small block is so much bigger and cheaper pleas feel free to pm me any questions I have owned a c4 for 10 years now and I will probal catch hell for this but I picked my c4 over a c5 just my preference if I really want a lsx powered vette I will just swap it later
I also picked the Lt1 Corvette over the C5. I think the C4 is a much better looking car than the 1997 thru 2004 C5. With less than 2k in mods, my 93 will out run stock, bolt on and cammed LS cars and better be packing at least H/C with a 100 shot if they want to win.
Old 05-11-2012, 11:25 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 93 LT1 Vette
The car does handle like it is on rails and it feels like it has more torque than my 94 Z-28 had when it was stock. My weight on the car is 3130 with 1/2 tank of gas minus spare tire, jack and mufflers. The factory bose radio is ****. All in all my Camaro was a much better ride but the Corvette has something you can't put into words.
I got my '93 down to 3150 race weight. Shoot, the res. and the mufflers with the pipes in between weigh 60lbs. The cats come in at 15lb a piece and it's 14.5lbs for each manifold. You can shed weight fast. I also scraped the steel sawblades for some polished aluminum ZR1s and saved 7.5 pounds per wheel.

The vette is like sitting in a capsule. Everything is wrapped around you. Kinda gives off a closterfobic vibe sometimes.

That is a **** load of torque you put down. You still on stock rear suspension?
Old 05-12-2012, 12:08 AM
Teching In

I have never owned a Camaro. But I have had two C4's as a DD. I bought my 88 in 93 and my 96 in 98. I loved them both. The 96 was very reliable, as it was basically new. After 100K, I only needed intake gaskets. Still had the original opti! I loved the power, handling and how the interior felt. Zero complaints. However, I'm getting older and its getting harder to crawl out of it. And now the newest C4's are 16 years old, so they will need maintenance. And you have to consider the "Corvette tax". Everything is expensive. But owning a Corvette is special. To me, there is no better feeling than flying down the highway with the top out and blasting good tunes when its nice outside.

Quick Reply: Potential future C4 owner, Please Help :)