LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Is this my fuel gauge broken? New cluster time?

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2012, 07:51 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

Default Is this my fuel gauge broken? New cluster time?

Ok last thread on this issue I promise.

I thought my problem was my dual walboro install but now I think it isn't... I now get 26 ohms at the connector from the sending unit (which is about accurate, tank was near empty and I put like 4 gallons in it). I chased the wires inside the car and all the way up to the dashboard and ground under the driver's seat I get ~26 ohms still. But my gauge reads empty (pumps work though). If I unplug the connector the gauge reads full.
Old 05-10-2012, 08:29 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did you install a new sender??? Those lil deals where the float arm slide up & down get Wore out My S10 Blazer drove me nuts till I got an A/C Delco pump & sending unit After that things were fine A mid 90s LT1 ***** wore out replace it Install a hotwire kit PER PUMP & your done UNLESS you pinched a wire somewhere like the bellhousing/motor Did that once on an S10 LoL Erratic ohmmeasurements would tell me the things WORE OUT
Old 05-10-2012, 08:36 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by warriorcustoms
Did you install a new sender??? Those lil deals where the float arm slide up & down get Wore out My S10 Blazer drove me nuts till I got an A/C Delco pump & sending unit After that things were fine A mid 90s LT1 ***** wore out replace it Install a hotwire kit PER PUMP & your done UNLESS you pinched a wire somewhere like the bellhousing/motor Did that once on an S10 LoL Erratic ohmmeasurements would tell me the things WORE OUT
Yes I replaced my sender and tested it. I can also test it by unplugging everything on the body side and only looking at the tank side. Like I said I 26ohms. As I go through the body I get all the way to where the purple wire goes up into the dashboard and still get ~26 ohms.
Old 05-10-2012, 10:24 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you have the proper reading from the sending unit up to the cluster but the cluster reads incorrectly, well I'd be damned if it weren't said cluster.
Old 05-10-2012, 11:06 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree with cluster if everything ohms out. If not correct i have seen many more times the purple wire going into the sending unit be burnt up and cause bad reading sometimes and good reading other times. Very common on all gm sending units. Your case sounds like the cluster is starting to go out.
Old 05-10-2012, 11:46 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Junkyard time LoL Get one & swap em to see then

Quick Reply: Is this my fuel gauge broken? New cluster time?