LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Tuning idle tunercat

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2012, 07:02 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Tuning idle tunercat

I have my car finally working well again.

How do I tune idle with tunercat?
My idle fuel is all wrong.
Cruising and WOT seem ok 128's but idle is dumping fuel in 150's how do I fix that?

Thank you
Old 05-13-2012, 07:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Are you running SD or MAF mode?

At WOT it will jump into PE mode and the o2 sensors are useless, basically it enters Open loop.
Old 05-13-2012, 07:07 PM
TECH Regular

MAF mode

I guess for WOT I should get to a wideband dyno.

Cruising seems OK all around 128's

Idle is not good here is a log:

http://www.cdntechnologies.com/camaro/May13.zip
Old 05-13-2012, 07:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well first you need to run the car in SD mode. Then tune it and get it where it needs to be.

Then turn the MAF back on. If its off you need to adjust the MAF tables.

Tune your SD mode first because when you enter PE mode thats where it will get its inputs for fueling is the VE tables. Plus if your MAF ever went it reverts to the VE tables, if they are out of whack, you will screw your engine.

EDIT:

First thing on your log, turn the EGR off.

What is done to the car.
You're also running 48* of timing at idle.
Why is your warm up idle so high?
Old 05-14-2012, 10:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Sounds like you may need to fix some things before you go adding fuel at idle. Never a good idea to tune a car when it has problems needing to be fixed. Can sometimes end chasing your tail.
Old 05-15-2012, 05:28 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by F0x Slaughter
Well first you need to run the car in SD mode. Then tune it and get it where it needs to be.

Then turn the MAF back on. If its off you need to adjust the MAF tables.

Tune your SD mode first because when you enter PE mode thats where it will get its inputs for fueling is the VE tables. Plus if your MAF ever went it reverts to the VE tables, if they are out of whack, you will screw your engine.

EDIT:

First thing on your log, turn the EGR off.

What is done to the car.
You're also running 48* of timing at idle.
Why is your warm up idle so high?
Thank you for looking at my log.

I tried tuning EGR out, but when I uploaded that file I got DTC 51's so I put the originally downloaded file back on. Tunercat tech support said to try again but I haven't yet.

Back in 1995 or so I mailed the PCM to Mike at Modern Musclecar. He programmed it and mailed it back to me. We did this a few times and it always ran like crap. So I towed the car down to him (I'm from Canada!) and he kept it for two weeks tuning it. He swapped out the 30# injectors for 24# and did his PCM tuning.

I built the car in 1994/1995 so everything was still "new" to everyone back then. It has AFR 190 heads with 2.05/1.625 and CNC ported; it has splayed mains, forged crank, forged rods, pistons, etc. and the CC306 cam. At that time it had stock intake and SLP headers and Y pipe, dumped, with 30# injectors.

Car ran OK but had terrible street manners. It went from 109mph to 115mph changing the injectors from 30 to 24 and their tune.

In 1998 I swapped the SLP headers for longtubes, and made a custom mono-blade throttle-body, and my own 3" PVC pipe cold air intake. Car dropped from115mph to 109mph again after these changes at the event in Memphis (or was it st. louis?) and so I parked it since then and haven't tried to figure it out.

So this year I want to drive it and sort it out. I thought I could get my MPH and power back with the proper intake and headers again, so I just finished swapping back a the stock throttle-body and intake which is what it ran 115mph with. There was also a bad o2 I had to fix and change the spark plugs, and some melted o2 harness I replaced. Compression test passed and other things seem OK now.

So now I am back to the tune. I have no idea why back in 1990's they set the idle to 1000 rpms. I do not know how or why they set any of the variables they did. I just started logging myself this year and am learning how to read the tables.

My feeling is it might be a hack tune and I might need to start over. But I'm not sure.

Here is the bin file if anyone is interested in peeking at it. This is un-modified by me, it is how it came from Modern Musclecar. If it's really bad I'll have a custom tune started over.

http://www.cdntechnologies.com/camar...d-from-pcm.bin
Old 05-15-2012, 05:35 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by MEAN LT1
Sounds like you may need to fix some things before you go adding fuel at idle. Never a good idea to tune a car when it has problems needing to be fixed. Can sometimes end chasing your tail.
I just fixed o2, intake manifold, throttlebody. I can tune out the EGR, not sure what else to fix from the logs.

I know you are right. How do I know if there are more problems? Only EGR DTC 27 is showing up now after my fixes and I can tune that out.

Quick Reply: Tuning idle tunercat