LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

LT1 396 Turbo Build?

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2012, 06:54 AM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Chevyman5436
I do remember the name Doug Rippie. Didn't he specialize in making some badass Corvettes?
Yeah he did.....and he had some pretty mean FBodys and a 850 hp B Body in the shop when I was there last. But that was years ago.

2 people from Mn on here.....lol .....Im from MN also but in the Southwestern part.

Last edited by Bigtoyz; 05-18-2012 at 07:01 AM.
Old 05-18-2012, 02:04 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Chevyman5436
I was thinking about a 5.3 swap. What about a 6.0 LQ9? I would like to do a Vortec swap. My brother is currently doing his 5.3 swap with a th400 in his 93 5.0 Foxbody Notch. It wouldn't be much of a competition if we both have the same stoves in our cars haha. **BUT** if it gets the job done then hell I'm all in. What modifications do you suggest? I don't wanna break the bank but I don't wanna nickle n dime it either. I'd imagine engine mounts are a dime a dozen if the 5.3 and LS1's have the same bolt locations, people are always selling them on craigslist. Would I need forged crank and splayed caps if I'm over 500hp? What heads and cam is good for boost? Are the stock Cathedral heads any good? I would also like stick with the Victor JR style intake with and intake elbow as well and keep it efi.
Honestly, the LT1 combo you mention is going to get VERY pricey and it won't bring as much $$ if you ever sell the car than if you did a LS junkyard swap. As mentioned, 700RWHP is easy as can be with a junkyard LS and a turbo. No, forged crank/pistons is not REQUIRED recommended yea.....just to show how damn strong the LS platform is, Hot Rod magazine recently did a torture dyno test to find out how much boost it would take before it went boom....1203hp and 26psi boost later STOCK 4.8 bottom end junkyard truck motor and survived 60dyno runs without failure...detuned it would still be a monster and be pretty reliable: http://www.hotrod.com/techarticles/h...g_bang_theory/

They got 594hp out of this stock 5.3 with just a LS6 baby cam (550hp with stock truck cam) and cheap turbo for $3252: http://www.hotrod.com/techarticles/e...2/viewall.html

Not to be a LT1 hater, but it's certainly something to think about when it comes time to hunt down the dwindling pool of LT tuners out there....plus the LS aftermarket is endless and still growing like crazy.

Quick Reply: LT1 396 Turbo Build?