LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

car starts but sputters

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2012, 11:18 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default car starts but sputters

I just bought a 94 trans am and on my first day of driving it I had ran a few errands with no problems. I made 1 final stop on my way to work and pulled into a gas staion, went in and bought something and I come back out and the car starts and sputters really bad. Cant give it any gas or it dies. It will idle ar 500 rpm for just a few seconds and dies. I cant say that I can hear the fuel pump but it keeps starting so its getting something. Ant particulars to look at. I am going to check fuel pressure first but didnt know if there was any other direction. I bought the car as a driver, it is a 6sp with 72000 miles on it. Thanks for any info
Old 05-19-2012, 12:34 AM
TECH Veteran

Always easier to check the pump first, in a quiet spot with the door open turn the key into aux position and listen if you can hear the pump spool up. If not, it will run for awhile before the oh so fun dropping of the tank for a new pump.
Also pull the fuel filter, turn upside down, hold a lighter to what is dripping out. If it doesn't flame its either water (condensed over time) or clogged. Change the filter and blow out the lines, drain the tank and make sure all sediment is out before running again.

Can you get it to anyone with a scanner just in case?
Old 05-19-2012, 10:38 PM
Teching In

I went out today after I got off work and was going to unload off the trailer. I really couldnt hear the fuel pump but decided to hit the key and it fired right up, revved up like normal and all. Guessing fuel pump is possibly getting hot but will check it out tomorrow being as I was too lazy to unload it today.

Its on a trailer so I can get it anywhere with a scanner if i need to.

Quick Reply: car starts but sputters