LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Sprucing up a 150k mile LT1

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2012, 09:52 AM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Johnny, I like you am the second owner of a very well maintained higher mile car. I read a Car Craft article a couple years ago were they bought a junk yard LT1 out of a taxi with 150k on it. They opened it up and the thing had no wear or taper in the bore, they honed it with new rings put a H/C on it and made 400hp.
Your engine could probably use some new valve springs, LT4s would work good for stockish mods. I would reccomend a new GM timing chain set too.
Get yourself some headers, gears and a performance mail order tune will wake up the old girl.

I'm also on the original clutch at 119k. I keep waiting for it to start slipping but I can still bark 3rd so knock on wood.
150k is the new 60k!

Last edited by guppymech; 05-27-2012 at 10:02 AM.
Old 05-27-2012, 11:51 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 1995 Z28
Or what I would do is build up your own lt1 on the side until your current one dies. Because if money isn't too big of a problem then you could build up a sweet street able lt1.
Do this, don't start cutting on a car you have working. It sucks not being able to drive it. If you build a new engine it only takes a day or so with a buddy to swap it out.

Originally Posted by ls2pontiac
I always laugh at the comments of 150,000 miles isn't much. Like my one buddy that says his diesel '99 F250 that has 300,000 miles..."oh thats nothing". Yeah... 150,000 miles thats a lot bro. You should just replace the clutch since it's got so many miles on it -- get a Spec 2 they are very good and will last a long time. Put a heads/cam on it and spin it no higher than 6000RPM. 410rwhp will wake that thing up.

By the way, it may just be the way i drive...but I've been through 5 clutches in 30,000 miles, and 2 motors.
Yikes dude, 5 clutches? I have 580 Flywheel HP (engine dyno'd) and ran that 10,000 miles on the street like I stole it with a spec 3+ clutch and when I pulled the engine to tear out all of the Spohn K-member and A-Arms that sucked and replaced them with BMR I resurfaced the flywheel and that was about it. It didn't even need it. Road racing is the worst, but the even drag racing and street driving should not be running through clutches.

I run clutch components at 11,000rpm for 16,000 hrs between overhauls on machinery at work. Every 1hr they slip the clutch for 10 seconds. And on startup they slip the clutch for 200 seconds. I think your problems are elsewhere, if not your driving style, then the clutch hydraulics might not be properly adjusted, or oil getting on the friction surfaces.

Originally Posted by guppymech
Johnny, I like you am the second owner of a very well maintained higher mile car. I read a Car Craft article a couple years ago were they bought a junk yard LT1 out of a taxi with 150k on it. They opened it up and the thing had no wear or taper in the bore, they honed it with new rings put a H/C on it and made 400hp.
Your engine could probably use some new valve springs, LT4s would work good for stockish mods. I would reccomend a new GM timing chain set too.
Get yourself some headers, gears and a performance mail order tune will wake up the old girl.

I'm also on the original clutch at 119k. I keep waiting for it to start slipping but I can still bark 3rd so knock on wood.
150k is the new 60k!
This is good advice. EFI is great for engines, I pull LT1 and LS1 engines from the junkyard with 70-120K all the time and the wear on the engine is still within the tolerance from the factory. The more internal work you do on the engine the less time you get to spend driving it.

Quick Reply: Sprucing up a 150k mile LT1