LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Stock exhaust / catback question..

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2012, 08:28 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stock exhaust / catback question..

Ok 1 more thread. My car is full bolt ons, and exhaust is my next step. LT headers, 3" ory, and the catback is what I'm having trouble deciding on.

Now I want it to be loud and have a good sound. I have the option of buying a loudmouth 1 for 100 bucks, but I've never had the LM1 and don't know how it will sound. Youtube videos only show you so much. It has the SLP bullet muffler that comes with it, and also comes with a Magnaflow bullet to use in place of the SLP should I choose to do so. With the LT headers, from you guys' experience, is the LM1 good or is it shitty, and do you think the Magnaflow bullet would be the best sound?

Now about the factory exhaust on the car - Is it 2.75 inches, with 2.25 inch tail pipes? Is the factory exhaust really even that restrictive? For the price I'm getting the 3" LM exhaust for, would my best option be to use that, or could I just run the stock catback with a different muffler on it, like a Hooker Aerochamber or something with good flow/sound?

Either option at this point will cost the same, the loudmouth I'm getting is in great shape and extremely cheap. I want LOUD, but I don't want that awful **** tin can sound which I'm afraid I might get with the LT headers and Y pipe. I want the great sound, but also the performance gain, so from that standpoint which way should I go to get the best gain and sound I want?
Old 05-25-2012, 09:41 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

After doing a ton of research I'll for sure be using the Magnaflow bullet that comes with it, didn't even know it was the Magnamouth set up Exact part number and everything.

I would still like to know about the stock exhaust though, since the size is hardly larger on aftermarket cat backs would you get just as good of a gain by switching to a ORY and a nice muffler?