Old 06-14-2012, 11:13 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just wow.
Old 06-15-2012, 09:17 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Wicked94Z

That was a good read, similar to the op's problem and the thread he also posted up. Now I have another forum to lurk on besides the f body sites and yb. thanks.
Old 06-15-2012, 10:35 AM
TECH Addict

You guys have to realize that calling Corey out like this is bullshit. Even if something happened like this, you should not be calling him a theif. He is overwealmed with work and if you are mad about that you need to lighten up.
Old 06-15-2012, 11:08 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Camaroking1996
You guys have to realize that calling Corey out like this is bullshit. Even if something happened like this, you should not be calling him a theif. He is overwealmed with work and if you are mad about that you need to lighten up.
No its not. If I or any one else gets the run around for months and gets a refund check that bounce that pretty much seals the deal. And I do understand **** happens but that is no excuse for poor communication and sending a rubber check.
Old 06-15-2012, 11:25 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BIGCAT7274
No its not. If I or any one else gets the run around for months and gets a refund check that bounce that pretty much seals the deal. And I do understand **** happens but that is no excuse for poor communication and sending a rubber check.
I hope the said refund check finally went through for the OP
Old 06-15-2012, 12:43 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I saw clayton advertising on ebay, on the web, and on the forums. The best shop I have ever used would get my stuff done in just a few business days and it was only one guy running the shop. He was also doing at least a couple of dirt track motors every week that had to be done for the weekend along with a Top Alcohol motor that kept getting blown every week because of transmission issues.

I really don't care much about the specifics, if the customer has given you the money for a shortblock LT1, there shouldn't be more than a couple of weeks wait.

Bottom line is if you can't provide the product stop taking orders. They were backed up already in the winter, that is supposed to be the slow season. I'm sure they are slammed in the summer like every shop.
Old 06-15-2012, 12:53 PM
11 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Camaroking1996

Look at this from the OP's perspective he spent a LOT of money, had a LOT of hassle and then when he finally gets a refund the check bounces. I think most of us would be FURIOUS.

I think most of us will agree the OP is acting fairly graciously given everything that has happened.

You act like the first hiccup he went crying to the forum. Not the case, he has made a lot of effort to resolve this with the vendor and failed and is now making a fuss which will stop others from facing the same problems.
Old 06-15-2012, 01:08 PM
Village Troll

Received 536 Likes on 388 Posts

Originally Posted by noice
I really don't care much about the specifics, if the customer has given you the money for a shortblock LT1, there shouldn't be more than a couple of weeks wait.
Depends on what part of the season it is. My block sat at one shop for six months. Builder kept shoveling excuses why it wasn't being worked on. Corksoaker spend more time on the phone and yacking at anyone who walked in the door than actually doing his job. I took it away, went to another shop who told me because of their work load it would take about two months, and they delivered.
I could care less if it takes a day or a year. The person building it should be up front from the start and give the customer an approximate time of completion. Doing anything other than this, especially with the lack of communication from the builder is extremely shady.
Old 06-15-2012, 03:45 PM
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by SS RRR
Depends on what part of the season it is. My block sat at one shop for six months. Builder kept shoveling excuses why it wasn't being worked on. Corksoaker spend more time on the phone and yacking at anyone who walked in the door than actually doing his job. I took it away, went to another shop who told me because of their work load it would take about two months, and they delivered.
I could care less if it takes a day or a year. The person building it should be up front from the start and give the customer an approximate time of completion. Doing anything other than this, especially with the lack of communication from the builder is extremely shady.
As far as I'm concerned almost any LT1 build should be easy for a machine shop. If you can't get a SBC out in a month then they should be up front about it. If you have some custom pistons, worked over heads, or a specialty crank I can see it taking a bit more time. Almost everything else is off the shelf.
Old 06-15-2012, 04:44 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by fex77k
As far as I'm concerned almost any LT1 build should be easy for a machine shop. If you can't get a SBC out in a month then they should be up front about it. If you have some custom pistons, worked over heads, or a specialty crank I can see it taking a bit more time. Almost everything else is off the shelf.
bingo.
Old 06-15-2012, 05:58 PM
TECH Regular

Sounds like they do great quality work by the reviews but take forever to provide their service in some cases. QUALITY, COST and TIMELINESS are all equally important when running a business. If the business cannot provide all three consistantly it opens doors for reviews like this and is no fault of the consumer. Especially if the provider of the service is 6 months past due on a promised delivery date.
Old 06-15-2012, 06:57 PM
Village Troll

Received 536 Likes on 388 Posts

Originally Posted by fex77k
When I went to get my engine there were at least ten or more ProMod engines sitting on crates getting ready to ship. However easy it is to do a LT1 block a builder is going to cater to the money builds before the simple ones.
Old 06-15-2012, 07:11 PM
TECH Resident

Glad i read this one, i was thinking about my next engine and was looking at Clayton, im good, think ill stick to local shops.
Old 06-15-2012, 07:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Another thing to consider is machine set up. If a batch of big blocks are getting machined, it takes a lot of time to just stop the run and set up for a couple small blocks. It makes no sense to switch between platforms mid run. That takes increased time.

While I feel for the original poster, I tend to believe there is more to the story. I gladly waited my turn for mine to be done and couldn't be happier with the results. Mine as well took longer than thought, but that was due to lack of cranks at the time.
Old 06-15-2012, 07:31 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Jpack
Another thing to consider is machine set up. If a batch of big blocks are getting machined, it takes a lot of time to just stop the run and set up for a couple small blocks. It makes no sense to switch between platforms mid run. That takes increased time.

While I feel for the original poster, I tend to believe there is more to the story. I gladly waited my turn for mine to be done and couldn't be happier with the results. Mine as well took longer than thought, but that was due to lack of cranks at the time.
I think you are right that there might be more to the story. As for the setup on running different engines through the shop, all I can think about that needs to be changed is the rod fixture machine. And it doesn't take that long to switch to whatever type motor. Then switching over the Bore Gauges is pretty quick as well.
Old 06-15-2012, 07:46 PM
On The Tree

i'll let the machine shops do the machine work..but i will and always have assembled my own engines.
Old 06-15-2012, 07:48 PM

really, a full year? Give me a break, thats rediculous for a small block chevy. Does it come gold plated or something? I dont care "how good" you think these people are, theres no reason to take that long. Next time dont just take one persons word about how good they are on a forum

Just stay closer to home next time. These people arent doing anything more special then the next guy who knows about small blocks. Its not like they have some super secrets about this stuff. Its not rocket science to bore out a block and order parts.
Old 06-15-2012, 11:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

X2^^^^^^^^^!!!!!!!!
Old 06-16-2012, 05:00 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Jpack

I don't see how "taking a lot of extra time" changing a few fixtures would really hurt, if it actually meant getting around to building something You're saying he doesn't build many SBCs??? These aren't ******* AMC motors or big block pontiacs! In other threads it's around 1 whole ******* year before he can "scrounge up" enough small chevys to do a batch? Get real. I frankly don't care if there IS more to the story. There shouldn't be.

To all the posters saying that the end product makes the wait worth it... You also need to get real. There are hundreds of builders in this country that can build a killer SBC in a reasonable amount of time for a reasonable price, with probably a much more reasonable level of honesty and respect for their customers.

No dog in this fight... don't care.

Quick Reply: LT1 383 Clayton Racing Ripoff