Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by FAD2BLK93
Who makes a bigger lt1 radiator?
Be Cool
Old 07-10-2012, 08:27 AM
11 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by ks my ss
FWIW I have a CVR HD electric unit I got from Summit. It is rated at 55 gpm while the CSI/CSR is in the mid 30s. IT really moves the water. The down side it that it is a good 3/4"-1" taller that the CSR unit. The impeller is huge.

I have been driving it around in the 98-107 degree heat and it never got over 170. The needle hardly moved off of 160. That is with no front air damn under the car and 70+ mph runs down the high for 30 miles at a time.

If you are just watching the dash the rise may not be enough to see, it is only a few degrees not 10+.
Did you ever run the 160 stat with a mechanical pump?

As I have said a BUNCH of times and the blind faithful want to ignore the electrics free up power by doing LESS work, moving LESS water. You just want to ignore that inescapable fact.

The electrics are FREEFLOW rated the mechanical documentation we have is "as installed" on the engine it move 65-66gpm against the closed stat even due to the way it recirculates water rather than deadheading.

That impeller is not a positive displacement pump so the restriction of being installed on an engine will hurt it's flow so they do NOT actually move 55gpm once installed.
Old 07-10-2012, 10:12 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 96capricemgr
If you are just watching the dash the rise may not be enough to see, it is only a few degrees not 10+.
Did you ever run the 160 stat with a mechanical pump?

As I have said a BUNCH of times and the blind faithful want to ignore the electrics free up power by doing LESS work, moving LESS water. You just want to ignore that inescapable fact.

The electrics are FREEFLOW rated the mechanical documentation we have is "as installed" on the engine it move 65-66gpm against the closed stat even due to the way it recirculates water rather than deadheading.

That impeller is not a positive displacement pump so the restriction of being installed on an engine will hurt it's flow so they do NOT actually move 55gpm once installed.
I have run the car with every type of setup there is almost. I have been through alot with the car since buying it in 98. I am not one to go by what people parrot on the web, I actually will try it and if it doesn't work I will try something else. With the old csr pump it never ran hotter than the stock cam driven pump.

It has only really run close to hot and that was right before I parked it and tore into it and then again after I got it running again. I figured the csr pump was on it way out so instead of buying the same thing I decided to try something new.

My car has always run on the cooler side since I started screwing with it.

We scan it all the time and never rely on what the gauges are saying.
Old 07-10-2012, 10:44 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 25 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by vettef6
Does anyone know of a company selling HD LTx water pumps?? Don't know if there really is a HD pump on the market.

Thanks
I have an old school Meziere 55 GPM that I bought back in 1999 from a group purchase on c28.com for $177. Granted it sat in a box for 13 years but knock on wood so far so good. Had to cut out a bit of one of the fan shrouds to get it to fit.

The latest LTX Meziere unit is only 50 GPM so maybe they've improved things since then:
http://www.meziere.com/ps-813-781-wp118hd.aspx

Last edited by Rob94hawk; 07-10-2012 at 10:56 AM.
Old 07-10-2012, 10:54 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by 96capricemgr
Since you didn't diagnose it maybe the head gasket went first? Cooling system over pressure made the seals in the mechanical pump fail???? That could cause a leak there that would mislead you to blame the pump.
Possible, I suppose, but how often do head gaskets go south on a bolt on LT1 that hadn't

a. overheated
b. had any recent cooling system work done
c. had any timing issues - if anything my mail order tune was a bit too rich as they usually are.

and was just cruising along at 70mph, functional air dam blah blah blah.

and take out the water pump on top of that?

Again, possible, but if I had to bet which went first I'd say the pump.
Old 07-10-2012, 11:00 AM
TECH Addict

I have the Meziere electric WP and I can't tell any difference in operating temp over the mechanical stock pump. Only real benefits is it's less parasitic drag for those last few "bolt on" extra hp and freedom in choosing gen 1 timing sets. Oh yea, and you can leave it running with the car off for quick cool downs between runs if you take it to the track.
Old 07-10-2012, 11:05 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 25 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by ahritchie
I have the Meziere electric WP and I can't tell any difference in operating temp over the mechanical stock pump. Only real benefits is it's less parasitic drag for those last few "bolt on" extra hp and freedom in choosing gen 1 timing sets. Oh yea, and you can leave it running with the car off for quick cool downs between runs if you take it to the track.
Do you have a relay to turn the fans on too?
Old 07-10-2012, 11:12 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Rob94hawk
Do you have a relay to turn the fans on too?
No, I don't take my car to the track very often to justify that; my fans are tuned however to come on early to compliment the 160 stat though in normal driving. My car stays right around 180-190.....but it has gotten as high as 215 in this hot weather sitting still in traffic.
Old 07-10-2012, 11:24 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I just did the manual fan switch mod on my car. With the mechanical water pump, 180* thermostat, and in 105* Tennessee weather, and the low speed fans on, it sits around 190*, sitting in traffic for an extended period of time. High speed fan and it'll go down to a lil bit above 160.

Quick Reply: HD water pump LTx ????