LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

First time digging into this car, opti replacement & more.

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2012, 02:21 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It looks like you have to try pretty hard to not line the teeth / key up correctly when reinstalling. Hopefully all goes smooth between waiting for the opti to come in and work might not be untill tomorrow night or wednesday morning

Also, anyone know how much pressure it put on the coolant tubes going into and from the throttle body, I did a mock-up of the bypass and just hope it'll hold with a brass fitting and hose clamps.
Old 07-09-2012, 03:25 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

It will hold. The system is designed to run at 18psi - not much at all.
Old 07-10-2012, 12:54 PM
TECH Resident

Anyone know what size bolts i need to seal of the manifolds ? I wanted to pick them up before i head home.
Old 07-10-2012, 03:22 PM
TECH Resident

seal what manifolds? just bypass the heater?

use vacuum caps, or... what are you asking?
Old 07-10-2012, 07:03 PM
TECH Resident

I'm removing the air pump. I think m18 or 22 where the metal tubing went
Old 07-10-2012, 07:19 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 02v8ta
I'm removing the air pump. I think m18 or 22 where the metal tubing went
I think there's a thread on this somewhere. I never had that problem because I went with race headers.
Old 07-10-2012, 08:12 PM
TECH Resident

IT RUNS!!!!! THANKS EVERYONE. I've been working in the dark the last half hour and everything is 99% back on. I just wanted to fire her up tonight and she started right up no problem!

Tomorrow in the day i will be triple checking my hose clamps for leaks and filling the cooling system properly.
Anything I should be on the look for now that this big job (for me anyway) is done. I didn't have tape to wrap around the water temp sensor in the water pump, is it NEEDED I think other than blocking off the manifolds now I will be set knock wood.
Old 07-10-2012, 09:26 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Speedy
I think there's a thread on this somewhere. I never had that problem because I went with race headers.
The thread never gave a final answer, that's where i got the either m18 or m22. Does anyone know and a good place to order them?
I checked every hardware store around. I might just get them welded
Old 07-11-2012, 07:18 AM
TECH Enthusiast

IT RUNS!!!!! THANKS EVERYONE. I've been working in the dark the last half hour and everything is 99% back on. I just wanted to fire her up tonight and she started right up no problem!

Tomorrow in the day i will be triple checking my hose clamps for leaks and filling the cooling system properly.
Anything I should be on the look for now that this big job (for me anyway) is done. I didn't have tape to wrap around the water temp sensor in the water pump, is it NEEDED I think other than blocking off the manifolds now I will be set knock wood.
So the next thing is properly filling the cooling system. Fill the pump seperately with the hose at the top of the pump after filling the rest of the system. Let the engine run and get hot then loosen the two brass screws until they spurt coolant. This gets the air pockets out of the system.

If you took out the coolant sensor you would need thread sealant putting it back in.
Old 07-11-2012, 07:21 AM
TECH Enthusiast

The thread never gave a final answer, that's where i got the either m18 or m22. Does anyone know and a good place to order them?
I checked every hardware store around. I might just get them welded
I think I would just tap them out for SAE and use plumbing parts from the hardware store.
Old 07-11-2012, 01:05 PM
TECH Resident

always something but if this is it then yay. After making sure nothing leaked, got everything up to operating temp in my driveway and even did the oil real quick took it on a quick drive. 5 Minutes to my friends house, then 5 minutes back. When coming to a stop in my driveway noticed the temp gauge started climbing... Would air in the system cause this or did I mess something up with the fans when i had them down during the opti swap. I couldn't be sure but i don't think they were on when i got home.

I'm going to let it cool down, start back up and bleed the system again. I'm really hoping that's all it is

Old 07-11-2012, 07:35 PM
TECH Enthusiast

You're low on coolant. Dump another gallon into the holding tank and leave the car to cool off for a few hours. The coolant will run into the system and the rad will fill up.
Old 07-11-2012, 08:28 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Speedy
You're low on coolant. Dump another gallon into the holding tank and leave the car to cool off for a few hours. The coolant will run into the system and the rad will fill up.
The holding tank being the overflow by the battery?

Since then I made sure the rad was topped off, took it out for a spin, runs cool while driving around. Then again, let it sit in the driveway, began bleeding the system and still started climbing like in the previous picture so i had my friend shut it off. A good amount of air was coming from the bleeder by the tstat given the lack of any coolant I'm hoping now as it sits tonight it'll pull coolant from the overflow tank. The heat is also luke warm at best so really hoping it's just air. I'm tempted to put it on ramps when /if i have time tomorrow. I've read it's helped some people but i've never had to do this.
Old 07-12-2012, 01:58 PM
TECH Resident

So just to update, it will over heat when not moving. Drove it around for 10-15 minutes all around my block not far. If anything it wasn't getting past the 180 mark until i stopped moving. After i let it sit and it got past 210 went for a spin the temp gauge drops. Turned the air on while sitting, temp gauge drops. When i put the heat on it's luke warm at best but that could be a clogged heater core.
(God i hope not ) I'm thinking i have air in the system still or a bad tstat( replaced with new one btw) or both. Going to let it sit while i go in for my 2nd shift, we'll see what tonight brings....
Old 07-12-2012, 02:15 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I doubt its the t-stat. How hot did it get? 210 isnt overheating at all.
Old 07-12-2012, 06:08 PM
TECH Resident

Yea 210 is where my previous one ran. It goes past that like inn the picture i posted. Hopefully i cab just get all the air out soon. Is it normal for the temp gauge to fluctuate like that?

Quick Reply: First time digging into this car, opti replacement & more.