LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

How to get the weakest clutch pedal as possible

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2012, 02:24 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by z_speedfreak
I`m thinking about modifing the clutch pedal like kevin said, maybe take some heat to it too to bend it a bit or to add somin behind the pedal so its further up closer to the driver cause i dont want to drive with my seat way forward like an old lady hahah. Oh and kevin if you have health ins ask your doc for lidoderm patches, i know they save me from needing a larger dose of narcotics.

Now im also curious as to why the LT4 pp was lightened.. What are the benefits? Gm doesnt do stuff like that for no reason.
My story is very much similar, L5-S1 the first time crushed the siatic nerve and paralized my lower right leg, epidural shots-pt-surgery-pt- back to work with nerve damage. L4-L5 the second time, popped out into the center of spinal canal effecting everything waist down, pt-epidural shots-pt, things were getting better, banged wife a little too hard-stuck in bed for a week. Hospital visits are a joke so I stopped going. Every time they just give some drugs and send me out the door in a wheel chair. The pain meds screw up my bowels so bad I stopped taking them as well. Thanks for the heads up on the Lidoderm, I will def. ask about that. Ask your doc about vitiman B6 and B12 for nerve regeneration, I found out recently that high doses can repair nerve damage better than scripts with out the side effects, just dont know if it applies to spinal nerves.

Back to the cars, SLP did the lightening of the pp, combined with there flywheel it drops 10-12 pounds from the rotating assembly=more power to the wheels. I dosen't create power it frees it up.

How about have an aluminum block machined to the profile of the pedal pad and bolt it on....bending the pedal arm may be very hard to do even with heat.
Old 07-13-2012, 04:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by lt1slowz28
if you have pain still, probably nerves pinched in one of the discs... I just replaced 4 of them along with hardware and a fusion (-l3-l4-l5-s1 ) back to *almost* normal a month later.

then get whatever trans/clutch you want.
Wouldn't that be three disc?

My doc is thinking the same thing, L3-L4 because of the degeneration and thinks it will be an issue down the road.

Man that is a quick recovery, was it the new minimal invasive technique?

My plan for a TH400 if it ever comes to it, use a light spring on the clutch, wire the clutch switch to the trans brake. Full manual valve body with a ratchet shifter.
Old 07-14-2012, 02:23 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by guppymech
Instead of thinking about pressure plates you could try changing the hydraulic ratio of the master to slave cylinders with aftermarket components. I'm sure there is some stuff out there that could be adapted to your LT1 to help you out. Here's a simple example: if you double the diameter of the piston in the slave cylinder it will provide twice the force but only travel half the distance (you never get anything for free).
Bingo

Glad to see there's others here that understand how hydraulics effect clutch operation.

Also, the weight of an LT4 pressure plate, or any pressure plate, has NOTHING to do with how difficult on your leg the clutch is. Its about how stiff the diaphram in the pressure plate is, and as guppymech has stated, how the hydraulics are set up.
Old 07-14-2012, 02:49 AM
TECH Resident

the one above l3.. plus the others...I've heard you can go through the belly button. but they cut me down the back and did it all in about 5 hours from knocked out to wake up and walk around. It might be a rare case but well, I am happy as can be. Still get a little pain, but wow... to have such a major operation and be 95% in less than a month with no real need for pain meds is pretty awesome.

hope you can find a fix as "easy" as I did. wasn't expecting it to be this straight forward but... well, it happened.
Old 07-15-2012, 01:18 PM
TECH Addict

You guys that aare in the same boat as me should check out the thread i posted in the manual trans section. Some one posted up some cool stuff on auto clutch conversions, tho i think i might go with a ratchet clutch kit where you pull a lever with your hand to depress the clutch cause its cheaper and faster.
Old 07-15-2012, 02:16 PM
Launching!

twin disk clutch will give the softest pedal feel you have ever experienced and handle alot of power, thats why they are so pricey. If I was in your situation, I would definitely consider going that route. However, I would try to see if you could drive a car that already has this set up so you can test it out. Last things you want to do is drop over $1300 and the pedal not be as soft as you need it.
Old 07-15-2012, 04:30 PM
TECH Resident

Received 110 Likes on 86 Posts

I have ran a few clutches over the years. In this order the stocker, zoom Kevlar,ram hd,a springless spec sintered iron and centerforce dfx. I know we all have our own opinion and it is hard for you to use your leg but I have never been able to say one had a stiffer pedal than stock really. They all use the valeo pressure plate. I wonder if going with an aftermarket master that has a bigger piston would help. I also think the ls clutch is even softer than an lt

Quick Reply: How to get the weakest clutch pedal as possible