LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

How to get the weakest clutch pedal as possible

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2012, 09:25 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Unhappy How to get the weakest clutch pedal as possible

Its been 3yrs since i wrecked my back & 3yrs since i had my car on the road. Been waitin for my back to get better & 2 surgeries later i realize its not happening so im gonna bite the bullet soon and hire a friend to finish off where i left off on the head swap..doesnt need much done really i just wanted to do it. Anyways my left leg is junk and it hurts like hell to push, climb stairs etc and it would be a crime to have to swap out my built t56 for an auto so i want to try gettin the clutch pedal as soft as possible 1st. So what are my best options w/o ending up w/ a totally weak *** clutch? I currently have a centerforce df in there now which has a soft pedal but not soft enough for me.
Old 07-11-2012, 11:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Centerforce df are stiff. I have heard that twin disc clutch are soft on the pedal but grip anything you throw at it. I'm going with a twin disc clutch for my Turbo.4.8 when I finish up of course

http://item.mobileweb.ebay.com/viewi...d=271002648908

Last edited by alexcoreas; 07-12-2012 at 01:18 AM.
Old 07-12-2012, 12:17 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I got back problems effecting my legs as well. I've been toying with the idea of a stalled TH400 w/brake and full manual valve body but today I was in the car for the first time in over a year and the pedal didn't feel too bad...then again it was only for ten minutes or so. Its a lightend SLP LT4 pressure plate...basically a stock Valeo replacement with some holes. AFAIK most all LT style clutches use this pp except Centerforce. Unfortunetely I have never experienced the feel of a centerforce so I can't give a comparison, but it does compare to the stock pp, I didn't notice much of a difference in the pedal.

The holding power depends largely on the disc material used, but the LT4 pp does have more clamping force...using the stock disc the extra clamping force was noticable.

Ultimately I think the repetitive action will still be an issue...fear the traffic
Old 07-12-2012, 01:51 AM
TECH Resident

faceplate, or dogtooth it... who needs a clutch.
Old 07-12-2012, 04:22 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Kevin97ss
I got back problems effecting my legs as well. I was in the car for the first time in over a year and the pedal didn't feel too bad...then again it was only for ten minutes or so. Its a lightend SLP LT4 pressure plate...basically a stock Valeo replacement with some holes. Unfortunetely I have never experienced the feel of a centerforce so I can't give a comparison, but it does compare to the stock pp. Ultimately I think the repetitive action will still be an issue...fear the traffic
Yeah I`d just grin & bear it if i didnt live in tourist land but traffic is a stop n go nightmare around here in the summer. Do you have pics of the LT4 pp? I wonder if lightening the centerforce pp would have any effect? The twin disc is out of my budget, maybe next year. Ive never driven a stock clutch so never thought the df was to stiff, it hurts just to depress it even once now tho. Would upgrading the hydraulics have any effect? Adjustable master cylinder?
Old 07-12-2012, 09:21 AM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Instead of thinking about pressure plates you could try changing the hydraulic ratio of the master to slave cylinders with aftermarket components. I'm sure there is some stuff out there that could be adapted to your LT1 to help you out. Here's a simple example: if you double the diameter of the piston in the slave cylinder it will provide twice the force but only travel half the distance (you never get anything for free).
You'd have to get the pedal force worked out for your leg and still have the slave cylinder move far enough to disengage the clutch properly. If alittle homework will keep you in a 6 speed it's worth it. I wish you Good Luck and hope you continue to heal.

Tom

Last edited by guppymech; 07-12-2012 at 09:27 AM.
Old 07-12-2012, 09:43 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would just put in the the baby RAM HDX....it's a step up from the RAM OE replacement and good for 450hp and is oriented for street driving. The more holding power the more pedal pressure unfortunately unless you drop big money as mentioned on a twin disk.

http://www.lmperformance.com/78557/2.html
Old 07-12-2012, 11:16 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 25 Likes on 13 Posts

My Spec stage 1 is surprisingly very easy but this is extremely subjective IMO.
Old 07-12-2012, 12:15 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by z_speedfreak
Yeah I`d just grin & bear it if i didnt live in tourist land but traffic is a stop n go nightmare around here in the summer. Do you have pics of the LT4 pp? I wonder if lightening the centerforce pp would have any effect? The twin disc is out of my budget, maybe next year. Ive never driven a stock clutch so never thought the df was to stiff, it hurts just to depress it even once now tho. Would upgrading the hydraulics have any effect? Adjustable master cylinder?
I never documented my install but found a site comparing the SLP to stock here:http://www.ws6.com/slpclutc.htm

I dont think lightening the CF would have any effect on pedal pressure. I did have a thought to relocate the master push rod piviot up higher on the pedal (same idea when using a power assisted brake pedal and converting to a non assisted brake master cylinder such as a Strange) it would decrease the pressure required but increase the travel as well. Only problem is I don't know if its feesable to actually do so, as guppy said you would need to do some homework.
Old 07-12-2012, 12:31 PM
Staging Lane

i've heard the McLead twin disks are even softer than the stock clutch, and can handle whatever power u have while being a great daily, i would have gotten it but just isnt in the funds lol
Old 07-12-2012, 03:24 PM
TECH Addict

man I wished I jumped on that used twin disc clutch I saw on here once for $400, it might of needed rebuilding but who cares for that price. decreasing the pedal travel would be nice but last thing I want to do is to increase the pedal travel. I'll post this up in the man trans section as well now that im on a computer n not my pos phone which wouldn't let me post in there for some reason but keep any info coming guys! much appreciated! back is as good as its gonna get at this point, pretty much going to be on pain meds and neurotin for the rest of my life from what I'm told
Old 07-12-2012, 04:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

You should look for a used twin disc and have it rebuilt for like 300. Ill keep an eye out for you.
Old 07-12-2012, 04:38 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by boostedskyline
i've heard the McLead twin disks are even softer than the stock clutch, and can handle whatever power u have while being a great daily, i would have gotten it but just isnt in the funds lol
Coming from someone who has daily driven both. I can tell you my left calf is now bigger from the twin disk. Not the way you want to go for a light pedal. I drove a stock clutch the other day and almost put the pedal through the floor it was so easy compared to mine.
Old 07-12-2012, 05:17 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by z_speedfreak
back is as good as its gonna get at this point, pretty much going to be on pain meds and neurotin for the rest of my life from what I'm told
Did they do a fusion? I popped my first disc about five years ago, had a discetomy and was able to work untill about 11 months ago when the one above it popped. I may be looking at a fusion this time...
Old 07-12-2012, 06:41 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 6spd97ta
Coming from someone who has daily driven both. I can tell you my left calf is now bigger from the twin disk. Not the way you want to go for a light pedal. I drove a stock clutch the other day and almost put the pedal through the floor it was so easy compared to mine.
i personally havent used it, just what i've heard from alot more people, u would be the first to say it is harder than stock so now idk anymore until i find somebody with one and check it out
Old 07-12-2012, 09:07 PM
TECH Addict

No fusions yet.. Begining of `09 i herniated the L4-L5 disc so bad i compact my spinal cord to a 1/4 of its normal size and also had the 4 discs above it sevearly buldging. Had a discectomy on the herniated one. Did the rest, did the PT then my doc said i could go back fishing but i hit the gym daily for another 2mos strengthening up before I did then jumped on a light duty boat @ 1st for 5mos before i went back to the boat i had worked on for 7yrs.. Few months later i was all beat to hell again, went back for another MRI n now L3-L4 was herniated..repeated those steps above spring `11, discectomy etc and thats when they told me they wernt sure my spinal cord form the 1st herniation will probably never be the same size again. But did the recovery process again and never got well enough not to need pain killers and nerve pain blockers so i switched to the other side of fishing on land, easy stuff like oyster farming and fish brokering @ fultons fish market. Was cuting back on my meds slowly by slowly then...
Old 07-12-2012, 09:13 PM
TECH Addict

Question

Urgh damn fone!
-then i guess i went over board nailing this chick a few weeks ago i guess cause in the am i couldnt get out of bed(played cool til she left lol). Had to go by ambulence to the hospital, got another mri and stronger meds... The local hospital is a joke n said i was fine even tho i had to be wheeled out.. Sent a copy of It to my neurosureon in boston tho n he wasnts to see me 1st availible appointment which means another surgery so I guess I`ll find out if I need a fusion on the 26th... Walking with a cane @ 26 aint too cool

Last edited by z_speedfreak; 07-12-2012 at 09:19 PM.
Old 07-12-2012, 09:53 PM
TECH Addict

I`m thinking about modifing the clutch pedal like kevin said, maybe take some heat to it too to bend it a bit or to add somin behind the pedal so its further up closer to the driver cause i dont want to drive with my seat way forward like an old lady hahah. Oh and kevin if you have health ins ask your doc for lidoderm patches, i know they save me from needing a larger dose of narcotics.

Now im also curious as to why the LT4 pp was lightened.. What are the benefits? Gm doesnt do stuff like that for no reason.
Old 07-12-2012, 11:42 PM
TECH Regular

Talking

Remove the T56 and install either a Powerglide, Turbo 350 or my choice the Turbo 400! My clutch pedal has absolutely no resistance to it now!

:-)
Old 07-12-2012, 11:56 PM
TECH Resident

if you have pain still, probably nerves pinched in one of the discs... I just replaced 4 of them along with hardware and a fusion (-l3-l4-l5-s1 ) back to *almost* normal a month later.

then get whatever trans/clutch you want.

Quick Reply: How to get the weakest clutch pedal as possible