LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

94 body with 97 engine z28 dies after warm up, won't start untill next day

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2012, 04:24 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red face 94 body with 97 engine z28 dies after warm up, won't start untill next day

Hi everyone, I figured my pump was going out when it would sputter out after about 5-10min after starting. I could drive it for those few minutes it was alive. Anyway I changed the pump and filter and now it won't turn over at all. I can hear the pump priming when I turn the key. I sprayed gas into the intake while cranking it and it fired up and died once I stopped spraying. I've read many threads with similar problems so I'm aware it could be the ICM, Coil, Or Opti, I do have the stock Opti on (my MSD Opti from my 94 engine wouldn't fit on the 97). everything is stock except for the new pump I put in. I'm going to take out the pump and check that I installed it properly although I have replaced the pump about 3 times now so I should be getting good at it.

Any advise would be great.
Old 07-12-2012, 04:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

Verify fuel pressure If any when cranking and during a no start condition.
Old 07-12-2012, 07:26 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by defaultexistence
Verify fuel pressure If any when cranking and during a no start condition.
When my fuel pump crapped out, I had the exact same symptoms. This is coming from someone who isn't a mechanic, but maybe its the wiring to your fuel pump. If you don't get anywhere testing ignition stuff and you check your new fuel pump install with nothing out of the ordinary, try testing fuel pressure KOEO, and then connect a 12v source to the fuel pump prime connector http://shbox.com/1/fuel_pump_prime.jpg to see if there's a difference in fuel pressure.

I might have this completely wrong, but if there's a difference in pressure between the two (as the prime connector wiring is separate from the normal fuel pump wiring so you can test the fuel pump), its possible that you have bad wiring to the fuel pump. But I'm no expert; I'm just throwing out ideas.
Old 07-12-2012, 07:56 PM
Staging Lane

Had same symptoms and replaced fuel pump for nothing.......mine was fixed when I replaced the opti
Old 07-12-2012, 09:15 PM
Teching In

Thanks for the replys guys. I'm going to rent a fuel pressure tester tomorrow and give it a check. Just jumped my car and pressed down on the shader to get a feel for the pressure and had none, so I'll be pulling my pump tomorrow as well. I do not know what KOEO means, tried to look it up but didn't get any help can you break that down for me?
Old 07-12-2012, 11:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

Koeo= key on engine off
Old 07-13-2012, 12:41 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

since it does this when the motor warms up then it shuts off once warm i would definitly check or just replace the ICM
Old 07-13-2012, 11:19 PM
Teching In

mine did the same thing, try the fuel pressure regulator, that should fix it
Old 07-14-2012, 12:35 AM
TECH Fanatic

Can also be a column ignition switch failure ,they've been known to start to go after getting hot..
Fuel pressure check happen yet??
Old 07-14-2012, 04:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

I love when people suggest replacing parts without the nessary information to say so. Just because it sounds like it could be does not mean it is the issue.

You need Fuel, spark and compression to fire up amd run.
Kiss keep it simple smart! Start with the basics and go from their. Dont waste money do proper diag.
Old 07-14-2012, 05:59 PM
Teching In

I did not test compression yet, I will do tomorrow for sure when I have my day off. I did however find that the ground from the ICM (copper colored braided wire) that is connected to the driver side fame was snapped, so I soldered it back together and wrapped it in electrical tape. I also soldered my fuel pump relay wires which I forgot I has just twisted together. My battery is dead so I couldnt give the engine a turn to see if that worked. Could a loose ground have affected my ICM? Will jump my car tomorrow morning and test compression and post ASAP. Thanks again
Old 07-15-2012, 09:08 PM
Teching In

Hey guys, so I rented the pressure tester and have no pressure, I must have not installed my pump correctly. Will be taking it out tomorrow morning and checking install
Old 07-15-2012, 09:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Check fuel pump relay behind driver kick panel. U can bypass it to verify that may be the problem.
Old 07-15-2012, 09:41 PM
Teching In

Just checked pulled my pump and jumped the car, when I turn the ignition I Can hear the pump prime
Old 07-15-2012, 11:43 PM

One time I replaced the fuel pump and it still wouldn't run but I could hear it come on. For whatever reason the brand new pump turned out to be bad. Returned it and Installed a second pump and it fired right up. Just saying it can happen.
Old 07-16-2012, 01:39 AM
Teching In

Is there a test to verify if my fuel pressure regulator is faulty?
Old 07-16-2012, 01:40 AM
Teching In

Will be returning my fuel pump by the way and replacing the whole assembly
Old 07-16-2012, 09:10 AM
Village Troll

Received 530 Likes on 382 Posts

Originally Posted by twarner22
Is there a test to verify if my fuel pressure regulator is faulty?
Pull the vacuum line that goes from the FPR to the intake and see if there is fuel in it. If there is, there's a problem with the diaphragm, but this most likely would not cause your engine to not run. Sometimes those pressure gauges will not seat onto the Schrader valve right and it will read zero psi. Try to unscrew/screw back onto Schrader a few times to verify. Also, turn key on, let pump prime and like a tire, press on the valve to see if there is any pressure. That still won't mean there's enough to start the engine, but it may tell you whether or not the gauge is working properly.
Originally Posted by 96TransAmboosted
I love when people suggest replacing parts without the nessary information to say so. Just because it sounds like it could be does not mean it is the issue.

You need Fuel, spark and compression to fire up amd run.
Kiss keep it simple smart! Start with the basics and go from their. Dont waste money do proper diag.
Perhaps you can suggest things to try other than a lecture?

Last edited by SS RRR; 07-16-2012 at 09:15 AM.
Old 08-01-2012, 08:21 PM
Teching In

What's up guys! So turns out i routed the hoses from the new pump incorrectly! Switched them around and boom, all good.

Quick Reply: 94 body with 97 engine z28 dies after warm up, won't start untill next day