LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

1996 Trans Am WS6 Not Starting

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2012, 09:54 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 97Z28LT1
I don't think there's really anything you can do to prevent.

If you aren't hearing the starter actually engage, I'd be looking at the NSS and then go to TDR. You would be able to bypass the TDR. The TDR basically grounds the starter solenoid so it will engage. If it goofs, you won't hear the "click" sound of the starter trying to turn.

Good info here concerning VATS and TDR:

http://shbox.com/1/pass_key.html
Might check this out. If you can't hear the starter "click", you may want to see if you can ground around this module and see if it works. Or you could bypass it all together.

I can't think of many other electrical systems on the car that would cause the starter to no engage considering what you've always checked.

VATS should allow the car to start up and run, but would kill injector pulse shortly (3-5 seconds) after start-up. That's in my experience anyway.
Old 07-18-2012, 08:33 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by SS RRR
So you won't even try it? Same thing happened to a friend of mine. His key looked perfectly clean. Car wouldn't start. Security light flashed. Cleaned it with brake cleaner and it worked. If that doesn't work then yes, VATS will probably have to be bypassed.
I tried this last night and no go

Originally Posted by 97Z28LT1
Might check this out. If you can't hear the starter "click", you may want to see if you can ground around this module and see if it works. Or you could bypass it all together.

I can't think of many other electrical systems on the car that would cause the starter to no engage considering what you've always checked.

VATS should allow the car to start up and run, but would kill injector pulse shortly (3-5 seconds) after start-up. That's in my experience anyway.
I don't hear any click from the starter, so I am currently pursuing the TDR bypass route. At this point, I have the dash almost completely taken apart. I've pulled out the instrument panel, the radio and A/C controls, and the glove box trying to find this damn relay, but I think I'm new enough to this that I'm not sure I'd recognize it even if I did find it. I took a bunch of pics of things hoping that one of them is the relay or will lead me to the relay. I'll get them posted up here shortly once I get them uploaded to a hosting site.
Old 07-18-2012, 09:45 PM
Launching!

^ It's over towards the pass side kick panel. Big purple wire coming off of the BCM, IIRC. It's been awhile. I thought that shbox had pictures, but I may be mistaken. I think you can see it by removing the glove box.
Old 07-19-2012, 09:26 AM
On The Tree

Alright, I'm finally back in business! I got the TDR off and checked everything with the power probe again and found that the relay was fine. After using a paperclip to jumper the ignition switch to the starter line and being able to start the car without the clutch, I decided to test the clutch line voltages as well to make sure it was all good before actually trying to put in a bypass and found the clutch wire was not putting out any voltage. I climbed back under the driver's side and found a 2nd clutch switch that only gets used when the clutch is all the way to the floor (that I had overlooked the first time) and tested it - sure enough, it was dead. $6 fix from O'Reilly's and everything is back together and running without any bypass of the TDR. Thanks again guys!

Quick Reply: 1996 Trans Am WS6 Not Starting