LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Questions before header install

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2012, 06:24 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Questions before header install

Ok so I've done a lot of searching and I'm pretty sure on everything I need, but just want to make sure before I tear into the car. I have installed these same headers on basically the same car, but it was on my 93 383 car and all the egr, air, AC, and everything was already deleted when I put them in so it was a breeze.

So now here's what I've got going on -
97 z28 30th anniversary, M6. Still has everything from the factory and is basically stock config, the only things done to the car is a LS1 SLP lid conversion, TB airfoil, 410 gears, and a full suspension. The headers are Pacesetter LT's, ceramic coated with no emissions.

So this is going to entail a lot more work than it did on my other car. I'm going to be deleting all the emissions obviously, as well as the AC. I have the matching 3" Pacesetter ORY, and a full Borla catback as well. I just need to know what parts I will need to buy, and maybe find a good walk through on everything involved.

So far I figure I will need to buy the blockoff plates for the EGR, an AC delete pulley, and a tune for afterwards. I'm also doing plugs & OTVC wires while I'm in there. Now do I need to tune out the front 02 sensors, and extend the rear 2, or do I have it mixed up? Also are they all the same 02 sensors, should I hang onto the ones I delete?

Thanks in advance for any help I really appreciate it. I have a good idea of everything I need to buy and do but just want to be sure I have everything I need and know exactly how to do the job 100% right.
Old 07-17-2012, 06:38 PM
Launching!

Also on my other car i used the gaskets that came with the Pacesetters, and haven't had any problems so far... anyone else use them or should I absolutely not use them this time? I know gaskets are only $20 but it all adds up.. $20 gaskets $50 header bolts, $25 egr blockoffs, $25 ac delete pulley, plugs, wires, ect ect ect...

Just need to know everything I should get
Old 07-17-2012, 08:12 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

50$ header bolts? I just got ARP's from summit for 30$, gaskets, I would use Percy's dead soft, mr gasket ultimates blow out and I could never get mine to seal. The dead softs are aluminum and crush to form to the header and head. Plus they are reusable. Get 3/8" hex head bolts so you can get a smaller wrench head in there.
Old 07-17-2012, 08:47 PM
Launching!

Yeah I'm familiar with the job after doing it on my 93, definitely a small head hex bolt is needed.. I had 16 point ARP's the first time around and had about a million $ in the swear jar lmfao...

Can anyone just tell me if I'm missing anything or am I on track?

I posted this question in my other thread as well but maybe someone will answer here - I found a set of POWERMAX spark plug wires for 11$ lol.. 7mm stock size. VS the Taylors & OTVC looms which would be like $140. should I just use the 7mm wires and say **** it?
Old 07-18-2012, 12:08 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 93z383
So far I figure I will need to buy the blockoff plates for the EGR, an AC delete pulley, and a tune for afterwards. I'm also doing plugs & OTVC wires while I'm in there. Now do I need to tune out the front 02 sensors, and extend the rear 2, or do I have it mixed up? Also are they all the same 02 sensors, should I hang onto the ones I delete?

YOU HAVE THAT MIXED UP.
You NEED to extend your front 02s and tune out the rears since they are basically useless and doubt you want to spend the extra money on rear extensions.

The rear sensors will be useless to you once they're deleted, the front are different, at least on my 97 some people have argued with me on that. The plug ins are different you'll see, flat vs square. Square being rear sensors, flat being the front.

I wouldn't use the gaskets they come with but that'll be everyone's opinion, I'd just buy a pair of felpro's again.
Old 07-18-2012, 02:58 AM
Launching!

Thanks 02V8 that's exactly the kind of helpful info I need to make sure I got everything right. So I think I'll just extend the front 02's myself and solder everything real good, unless that's a bad idea and i should just get the extensions?

Anything else i need to know or am I pretty much on track?
Old 07-18-2012, 09:49 AM
BTC
TECH Fanatic

Location: Lansing, MI via Bowling Green, KY, Dalton GA, Nashville, TN & Atlanta, GA
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

If you're planning on keeping the car, sell the Pacesetters and put some good stainless headers on that thing.
Old 07-18-2012, 12:01 PM
TECH Resident

Unless your extremely confident inn your skills most would say buy the extensions. Even then it needs to be perfect or it won't run perfect.

Sound like you're fine other wise, remove the air pump, hosing, and Egr crap. I used a saw all to cut that s.o.b
Old 07-20-2012, 03:39 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by BTC
If you're planning on keeping the car, sell the Pacesetters and put some good stainless headers on that thing.
Pacesetters are sweet as long as they are ceramic coated, I've ran them on my 383 car for 2 years now and they look brand new. This car is my DD but I don't drive in heavy rain and no winter driving so they'll do just fine

The only thing I can complain about on the pacesetter LT's is sometimes the port-to-flange welds are thick as hell and protrude into the primaries... don't know how much of an issue that really is but it just looks like a flow restriction. However the latest set I just got is pretty good all around.

I would love some stainless LT's, where teh F@#% are LPP's? Can't justify spending the money on stainless works or Kooks when I know the pacesetters will do the same thing for 1/3 the cost...

After hunting around and finding a minor coupon loophole I got my latest set for $359 shipped... can't beat that dude. I'm trying out the pacesetter ORY this time but on the last set I picked up a ebay (eworldsales, same one 6LE was selling) 3" stainless ORY for $75 shipped, great quality. Got a brand new full magnaflow on the other car for $280 shipped, and on this car I found the craigslist steal of the century and got a full brand new Borla catback for $200 bucks lmfao, brand new in the Borla box, everything included down to the adjustment plates and warranty card.

Either way I've got 2 killer setups dirrrrrrrrty cheap
Old 07-20-2012, 02:31 PM
On The Tree

if you need a hand im local man
Old 07-20-2012, 08:19 PM
Launching!

Heyy PM sent

Ok after some more searching a lot of guys are saying you only need to extend 1 of the front 02's, and the other is long enough. Is this true, or should I buy a pair of extensions? How long will I need, and I'll need the flat ones right, not the square?

Again, 97 z28 M6, Pacesetter ceramic LT's no emissions, Pacesetter 3" ORY, Borla 3" catback. Same old same old as everyone else pretty much.
Old 07-20-2012, 09:42 PM
TECH Resident

One will reach if i remember right, but now find one not sold as a pair

Wish i had a local Buddy

Quick Reply: Questions before header install