LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

LT1 Catch Can Needed??

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2012, 09:41 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Route the tube from the pcv valve through the catch can then to the vacuum fitting. The picture I posted is of mine and how it is routed right now. Fuzzy picture because I took it in a hurry. But you get the general idea.. I had some left over hose from my steam pipe conversion.. The catch can was about $13 at home depot + the 2 fittings I think I was just under $16.

You guys can also check this thread out.. It's pretty nifty..
http://ltxtech.com/forums/showthread...ghlight=filter

I had oil in my TB when the engine was stock so I figured I'd just go buy one of those purolaters as it was only $4 and the elbow that connected the fresh air tube to the grommet in the valve cover was all loose so I had it rtv'd lol. The purolater fit in nice and snug..
Attached Thumbnails LT1 Catch Can Needed??-img_2705.jpg  
Old 07-25-2012, 11:45 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Im thinking about putting one in my truck. Quick question though, does running rich contribute to oil traveling into the intake, or is that a completely different thing?

Im guessing running rich would mostly affect the exhaust, but im wondering if theres a way they connect somehow.
Old 07-26-2012, 08:05 AM
On The Tree

The hose that runs from the throttle body to the passenger side valve cover is to allow the MAF to be able to read or meter air that the PVC system uses. So the air travels through the MAF, through the throttle body, down the hose through the valve cover down through the engine back up through the PVC valve and on through the intake where it's digested by the engine. The only way the ECM knows how much air is be uses by the system is to meter all of it. So if the PVC system is operating correctly there should no be any positive pressure on the passenger side valve cover only vacuum.
Old 07-26-2012, 12:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Rodinator1234
The hose that runs from the throttle body to the passenger side valve cover is to allow the MAF to be able to read or meter air that the PVC system uses. So the air travels through the MAF, through the throttle body, down the hose through the valve cover down through the engine back up through the PVC valve and on through the intake where it's digested by the engine. The only way the ECM knows how much air is be uses by the system is to meter all of it. So if the PVC system is operating correctly there should no be any positive pressure on the passenger side valve cover only vacuum.
Ummmm - No. The only reason there is a hose there is to provide a positive vacuum on the Valve Cover aiding in airflow. This air is on a closed system is not metered by the MAF or ECM, how can it as the air is pulled from the VC post MAF? Alot of guys talk about running a breather on the VC and capping this port as it is a good way, however several on this forum disagree with this as it can introduce un metered air into the system thowing vacuum off and possibly aiding in a split blm condition.
Old 07-26-2012, 12:59 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

what about on the passenger side, there is a small little port from the valve cover to the throttle body, whats the purpose of this?
Old 07-26-2012, 02:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by DVS LT1
I don't think I've ever heard anyone suggest split blm's could be influenced by replacing the passenger side air feeder hose for a breather... I mean, if that's true, its very interesting...

The air feeder hose that exits the side of the TB and leads to the passenger valve cover is definitely metered air, no question, but to what degree the PCM accounts for that I'd like to know. And the entire PCV system is not a "closed" system either even when that TB air feeder hose is installed correctly. Think about it: you can't produce a circulating vacuum effect in a completed sealed system (I mean, you could produce the vacuum, but nothing would be moving unless there was an inlet or open point). My PCV system functions just fine with a passenger side breather. I know for certain there's good vacuum b/c my little separator catches plenty of oil & other residue. I don't see the vacuum being effected by the system's old entry point via the TB being bypassed for the breather.

Nevertheless, I am still analyzing what influencers this could possibly have on the fueling... that's got me wondering.
Agreed, and don't get me wrong as I'm not saying that it's going to throw your vac readings out of wack. But there are several LT1 guru's on this forum and CZ28 that believe the breather method could contribute slightly to this issue on cams with heavy overlap, by introducing unmetered air into the system.
Old 07-26-2012, 05:32 PM
12 Second Club

does this seem right the tubing starts from the pcv with my arrow facing outta the pcv to the front of the intake.........as seen....

or should it be the other way
Attached Thumbnails LT1 Catch Can Needed??-484407_447915725231811_745248360_n.jpg  
Old 07-26-2012, 05:39 PM
12 Second Club

arrows coming from the pcv valve wit facing the same direction.........

seem right and do i need the filter inside heard tht synthetic oil hurts it is there a need for tht filter
Attached Thumbnails LT1 Catch Can Needed??-untitled.jpg  
Old 07-26-2012, 07:20 PM
12 Second Club

and guessing i dont use the filter tht was in side it the brass one gues some ppl dont use them??

yes or no
Old 07-26-2012, 07:51 PM
On The Tree

Its hooked up right as for the filter as long as the top of the separator you are using has some kind of bafel or something to make the air change direction it will work. If you remove the bowl and look at the bottom of the housing if you can see the inlet and outlet port like the air can go straight through it won't work so well. I wouldn't put a filter in it, as long as it's not a straight shot through.
Old 07-26-2012, 08:24 PM
12 Second Club

ya its straight thur but there is a round plastic fin but the filter gotta be in to hold tht in place up top............

ppl said tht the filter is bad with sythetic oils?? True?

dont want it to break down and get inside my motor
Old 07-26-2012, 08:26 PM
12 Second Club

Its hooked up right as for the filter as long as the top of the separator you are using has some kind of bafel or something to make the air change direction it will work. If you remove the bowl and look at the bottom of the housing if you can see the inlet and outlet port like the air can go straight through it won't work so well. I wouldn't put a filter in it, as long as it's not a straight shot through.
would it still work with out tht air changer inside
Old 07-26-2012, 08:31 PM
On The Tree

It may work some what but it won't be as efficient. You might see some oil in the bowl but a real can designed correctly will work much better.
Old 07-26-2012, 08:33 PM
12 Second Club

It may work some what but it won't be as efficient. You might see some oil in the bowl but a real can designed correctly will work much better.
will tht filter hurt anything
Old 07-26-2012, 08:35 PM
On The Tree

It shouldn't but I can't say for sure. If the separator you got was for air compressors which is what it looks like, many new compressors use synthetic oil.
Old 07-26-2012, 08:39 PM
12 Second Club

It shouldn't but I can't say for sure. If the separator you got was for air compressors which is what it looks like, many new compressors use synthetic oil.
ya thts exactly what it is from lowes ppl say they work i dunno how many miles before i actually see anything...

think ill just put the filter back in
Old 07-26-2012, 08:43 PM
On The Tree

Who knows depends on alot of things. If you just run up and down the highway at 1500 rpm might be a while if you run the snot out of it might be 5 min?
Old 07-26-2012, 08:44 PM
12 Second Club

are u running a catch can if so wat kind ?

do they really help out on oil consumption or its not what ppl make them out to be?
Old 07-26-2012, 08:46 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by DVS LT1
Every LT1 engine should have a catch can IMO. If installed properly, the PCV system will continue to function as designed and you will prevent oil & other residue from coating everything behind your throttle blades.

I was in a home depot one day and decided to make one up just as something do to. Took me 5 minutes to install - some hose (can't even remember what kind) and a husky separator. I'm surprised how much oil & residue this thing catches and prevents from reaching the intake. My only regret is not having installed one of these from the very start of my new engine.

Whether you have a built engine or bone stock 200k mule, go out and install some form of catch can or oil catcher.

To install: if you follow the start and end points of that orangey hose pictured above that is where the stock PCV tube is located - its a metal line that comes out of the PCV grommet on the driver's side of the intake manifold and then runs down along that side of the intake (under the fuel injectors) then bends 90 degrees towards the TB. Just before or slightly under the TB it connects with a hard rubber 90 degree hose which bends towards and connects to a metal line at the front of the intake manifold (directly under the TB). You simply need to install a catch can or oil separator somewhere between the two points (the grommet on the drivers side of the intake manifold and the PCV inlet tube at the front of the intake). What you use and where you install it is up to you. My job was a little half *** and doesn't look as clean or fancy as those aluminum catch cans, but it only cost a few bucks and it works like a charm.

do u still have ur filter in??

and do u still have the plastic fins inside to direct the air flow??

is all tht needed to work 100 %
Old 07-26-2012, 08:50 PM
On The Tree

Yes I run a billet spectilties catch can as far as a reduction in oil consumption I guess it does in a sence. I use it only to keep oil out of the intake. The oil I catch I just pour back in the motor so in a sence I guess it reduces consumption.

Quick Reply: LT1 Catch Can Needed??