LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

LT1 Catch Can Needed??

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2014, 03:23 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I didn't expect the added hose line to cause any issues, just thought I'd check.

I have a lot more space on the driver's side than most people due to my ram air intake so I figured maybe I could "hide" it a bit more and keep down on the clutter and away from the headers at the same time.
Old 02-25-2014, 03:43 PM
TECH Addict

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

The goal would be to keep the can as cool as possible. Hot vapors going through a hot can won't help as much. Think of a catch can like a condenser...it cools the vapors and condenses the oil in the gas. So yes, keeping it away from headers would be great! lol But you won't get much of a temperature difference mounting the can in the engine bay anyways.

Unless you mount it in the fender well where a CAI filter sits. It's impossible to tell whether any catch can is "the best" because every motor is different and there is no standard amount of oil in a cubic inch of vapors that is known.

It's more of a "any oil caught is oil NOT in the intake manifold...and thus a good thing". Only way to verify your can is catching ALL oil in the vapors would be to put a second inline filter of some sort. If oil is in the secondary filter...then your can design is not the best it can be.

Last edited by smitty2919; 02-25-2014 at 03:49 PM.
Old 03-07-2014, 07:22 PM
TECH Addict

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

I'll bump this:

I just put a can on my Z28...this is after only 95miles. Excuse the temporary ghetto attachment method LOL

I just put some coarse steel wool inside to hopefully catch more.
Old 03-09-2014, 07:37 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

wow this made 8000 views...that's great.. ya my cheap catch can is working great still
Old 03-10-2014, 07:02 PM
11 Second Club

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Does having breathers in the valve covers help any with realieving pressure over the stock system?

Last edited by NewOrleansLT1; 03-10-2014 at 07:17 PM.
Old 09-20-2015, 03:26 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DVS LT1
Here.

A catch can (if that's what you want) can go anywhere between point A and B. Because the stock hose is metal, you need to remove and replace with some flex hose. It can be routed anywhere you want as long as it gets from A to B.
This makes absolutely no sense...why would you want to put the catch can on a line that goes from the intake, back to the intake. Think of where the oil comes from that you find in the can. The intake shouldn't really have oil in it, so why splice it into that line? The catch can needs to go on the passenger side between the valve cover and throttle body....I hate to bump an old thread but it's useless putting it on the driver side intake line.
Old 09-20-2015, 07:57 PM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Default LT1 Catch Can Needed??

Originally Posted by LT1BADZ
This makes absolutely no sense...why would you want to put the catch can on a line that goes from the intake, back to the intake. Think of where the oil comes from that you find in the can. The intake shouldn't really have oil in it, so why splice it into that line? The catch can needs to go on the passenger side between the valve cover and throttle body....I hate to bump an old thread but it's useless putting it on the driver side intake line.
Because that line goes from the intake plenum (vacuum) to the valley under the intake (lifter valley) via the intake manifold. The line on the passenger valve cover to the TB is not under vacuum (it let's fresh filtered air into the crankcase). The line from the driver side manifold to the port under the TB also on the intake is under vacuum. So it's the one actually pulling on the crankcase, and that's where you'll want the catch can.

However, at WOT the PCV won't have vacuum any more. But the crankcase is still creating lots of pressure. The line from the TB to the passenger valve cover then takes that crankcase blow-by and pulls it into the intake via that route. So you'd actually want both to have an oil separator.
Old 11-05-2017, 06:03 PM
TECH Resident

Received 506 Likes on 203 Posts

Speed Engineering catch can installed.

Quick Reply: LT1 Catch Can Needed??