LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

I need a lot of help asap

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2012, 08:20 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thanks man, ill prolly end up keeping it and just making it a better weekend car/dd
Old 07-26-2012, 08:37 PM
TECH Addict

Received 77 Likes on 56 Posts

Go bleed the system. 2 pages of people telling you what to do and you just wont do it.

-Start the car up with rad cap off.

-Dump coolant into rad till its full.

-Put on rad cap.

-Wait for system to build pressure. t-stat will open, test pressure by squeezing upper rad hose. Youll want it to be firm.

-slightly open bleeder screw. It will spit hot coolant out, wait till its a constant stream. Close it, wait awhile, Repeat. It will spit till the air is out. Just be careful opening it.

Once air is out, turn off the car. wait for it to cool down, then open the cap and top off radiator.

Im not sure why people are telling you not to open the bleeder screw with the coolant hot and system under pressure. Thats the only way to get air out of it that I know of. Im no mechanic but Ive never had a problem doing it this way on a LT1.

Your first attempt of refilling the radiator with the engine off shows your experience. That will get nothing done, your engine is bone dry. the only way to get coolant into it, is with the water pump. Car needs to be running!

Smoke from the holes on the valve cover? I assume your talking breather? Most cars do it, the owners just dont know because the PCV system keeps it contained. Installed a breather on my car when I did the cam and it does it now. Youll get mixed opinions on how much is normal, but it is normal. It was probably happening and you never knew until you were under the hood while it was running and hot.

You should also check to make sure your coolant temp sensor is actually still intact if its reading zero. Just something to double check.

Symptoms youve listen arnt likley to a blown head gasket. It would smoke out of the exhaust, or it would have alot of coolant in the oil. You said it was doing neither of these.

Go bleed your coolant system, and then go drive your car.

Last edited by trilkb; 07-26-2012 at 08:47 PM.
Old 07-26-2012, 09:13 PM
On The Tree

but im worried about the coolant shooting out of the open radiator cap just turning the car over...thats what made me jump to the whole cracked head gasket assumption.
Old 07-26-2012, 09:16 PM
TECH Resident

How much?

I'm somewhat close we'll bleed the system one weekend.
Old 07-26-2012, 09:22 PM
On The Tree

it prolly shoots up a good foot...like the compression from the piston is pushing the the coolant through the jacket.
Old 07-26-2012, 09:33 PM
TECH Resident

How much to buy lol?

Id still try it from a dead cold start.
Old 07-26-2012, 09:50 PM
On The Tree

i have breather tubes on my valve covers but also have two bigger holes which have plugs in them that i can take on and off if i please to check inside.

Quick Reply: I need a lot of help asap