LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

exhaust pop, not the normal decel pop either.

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2012, 02:47 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default exhaust pop, not the normal decel pop either.

My buddies car is a 95 M6 formula. Was running fine yesterday and he did absolutely nothing to the car other than park it.

Fired it up today and it randomly will pop LOUD. Idle or cruising it dont matter. Normal exhaust tone, POP, normal exhaust tone... and it repeats this over and over no matter the rpms or driving condition the car is in. Like every other time i have a ignition issue i think of the opti.. this one seems to wanna point to it more for me simply cause the fact i have no idea what else would cause this other than timing/firing wrong time. any help would be appreciated
Old 07-25-2012, 02:54 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Popping in the exhaust means uncombusted fuel is igniting in the exhaust. Check plugs and wires. Then, coil and ICM. Last, on to the opti rotor (they like to come loose)
and possibly the opti itself.
Old 07-25-2012, 02:55 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Camaro350Z28
My buddies car is a 95 M6 formula. Was running fine yesterday and he did absolutely nothing to the car other than park it.

Fired it up today and it randomly will pop LOUD. Idle or cruising it dont matter. Normal exhaust tone, POP, normal exhaust tone... and it repeats this over and over no matter the rpms or driving condition the car is in. Like every other time i have a ignition issue i think of the opti.. this one seems to wanna point to it more for me simply cause the fact i have no idea what else would cause this other than timing/firing wrong time. any help would be appreciated
Check the fuel pressure with a gauge. Also does it through any codes? Had a similar problem that turned out to be faulty pump.
Old 07-25-2012, 03:10 PM
TECH Enthusiast

plugs, wires, coil and the icm actually were all changed within the last 6 months. ill give the fuel pressure a test. no codes are popping up at all. i will also run a scan on this and see what it comes up with
Old 07-25-2012, 10:38 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Camaro350Z28
plugs, wires, coil and the icm actually were all changed within the last 6 months. ill give the fuel pressure a test. no codes are popping up at all. i will also run a scan on this and see what it comes up with
Ive learned to Never trust new parts. Always double check them. They might be a PITA to get to in some cases but its a nice feeling knowing that everything checked out fine. could have a leaky injector. after you check fuel pressure pull the fuel rail off the intake (do not remove the injectors or lines. Also DO NOT CRANK IT) and just turn the ignition to "on" and see if any of the injectors leak.
Old 07-25-2012, 11:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

Do a compression check. Could have a bad valve. Check springs, one could be broken.

Quick Reply: exhaust pop, not the normal decel pop either.