LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

opti spline drive shaft placement help

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2012 | 11:21 AM

Default opti spline drive shaft placement help

I thank you in advance for your knowledge and help. I have a non-vented 1994 Z28 I'm about to install and need to know if the spline drive shaft for the opti should be put in a specific way? I know about the key-way on the splines but as I look at the shaft I'm wondering if a specific side of the shaft should face the block?? You know, just like the water pump drive coupling has a line on it that should always face the block. I was thinking does the same reasoning apply to the opti spline drive shaft?? Should one specific side of the shaft face the block?? I'm actually downgrading from a vented MSD opti because it crapped out on me and happened to have a new stock non vented opti lying around. I just needed the shaft which I just got but as I'm looking at it, it looks like it has a line towards one side so that's what got me thinking?? Thanks again for your input.

-Chris
Old 07-30-2012 | 11:31 AM
TECH Veteran

I guess you know you have to change the timing cover and get a new pigtail, too, right?

Can't tell you about the stub drive. I've never looked at one.
Old 07-30-2012 | 12:33 PM

Forgive my ignorance, but pigtail? I was going to wait and take off of the timing cover when the MSD opti gets repaired. I do have a puller for the hub I just wanted to save myself the headache?? I am replacing all the seals now except for the hub seal and timing cover gasket. Can't it wait until the MSD gets fixed?? I should have gone with Dynaspark or Accel!! This whole situation stinks!! I was hoping I was done with opti problems?? BTW Thanks for the help!!

-Chris
Old 07-30-2012 | 01:17 PM
BTC
TECH Fanatic

From: Lansing, MI via Bowling Green, KY, Dalton GA, Nashville, TN & Atlanta, GA

I don't think the direction of the driveshaft matters. Based on what I remember, I believe both sides are the same.

Most people would argue that you should have just gone AC Delco/Delphi from the get go.
Old 07-30-2012 | 02:10 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by leaderman
Forgive my ignorance, but pigtail? I was going to wait and take off of the timing cover when the MSD opti gets repaired. I do have a puller for the hub I just wanted to save myself the headache?? I am replacing all the seals now except for the hub seal and timing cover gasket. Can't it wait until the MSD gets fixed?? I should have gone with Dynaspark or Accel!! This whole situation stinks!! I was hoping I was done with opti problems?? BTW Thanks for the help!!

-Chris
The pigtail is the short electrical harness from the side of the intake to the opti. Vented and unvented ones are different on the opti end and don't interchange.
Old 07-30-2012 | 05:24 PM
Teching In

Default line

the line etched around one end of the coupler goes toward the block.
Old 07-30-2012 | 08:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

It doesn't matter which way it goes. Just don't force it.

BTW, how much mileage did you get on the MSD before it died?

Quick Reply: opti spline drive shaft placement help