LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

11 sec stroker is slower now with more mods and less weight!

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2012, 01:49 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i know its not going to be the best without boost and its doing better then what i thought, but im saying it droped 7mph in the 1/4 when it should have gain'd, im gonna try to get this wideband working and check that out, and i want a set of ai heads but i just cant swing it in my budget right now, gonna have to wait untill this winter for them....
Old 07-31-2012, 03:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Good luck getting AI or LE to port those heads YOU "Gasket Matched" they are now junk to them.. you killed velocity in the intake ports and cannot be repaired, and a boost motor is gonna run like **** without boost ..obviously ..
What springs ? What crank are you running ? Tune?

Last edited by defaultexistence; 07-31-2012 at 03:16 PM.
Old 07-31-2012, 03:09 PM
11 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

His compression basically can not be as low as he claimed so those seeing that I agree what he said would be very bad but the actual build isn't quite that bad.

Far as "wanting AI heads" that is all fine and good BUT right now there is something more important to figure out, don't start over without first finding out what is happening now.

If the previous 11.9 at 116 with a 1.8 60ft was accurate then your 1.4 short times should take the same engine/car to low 11s.

I have to wonder about this whole thing though because a basic "gasket match" I would not anywhere near expect to get you to 116mph and that seems like a good slip for stock stall too. Could the heads actually be good, the timeslip maybe from the car in the other lane???? Something because this all just doesn't make much sense.
Old 07-31-2012, 03:10 PM
12 Second Club

My 97 Camaro is an SS with Leather interior, power seats, power doors and widows, AC, Cruise, TCS, ABS T-Tops, Subs and a Box weighing 75 lbs and heavy assed ZR1 rims. Even with ALL of that and my 175 lbs in the car I rolled onto the scales at 3410 total. That scale HAD to be WAY off.

A STOCK 94 Z is around 34-3500 curb weight...STOCK 02 WS6 is around 33-3500.

Add the LT1 into the 02 WS6 it will GAIN quite a bit going from an aluminum block to a cast iron block. Depending on the trim and options, that WS6 may actually end up being HEAVIER than the 94 Z28 was and that means you would lose time in the 1/4.

Losing one tenth in the 1/4 is not a dramatic loss. It could be a different DA. It could be a change in the motor as it breaks in a little more. It could be the different stall that is not jiving with the old setup. There are A LOT of variables here that could EASILY kill a tenth until you get the motor optimized. That stall may be a GREAT stall when the motor is at its full potential but right now you are starving that engine and it is begging for air. I do not know much about Auto's but I am throwing out ideas. Regardless, IMO you need to stop racing it until you get everything squared away. Upgrade the heads, get better springs, fix that ungoldly low compression or boost it and try this again. Just my .02
Old 07-31-2012, 03:13 PM
12 Second Club

Oops, I missed the increased 60ft times.
Old 07-31-2012, 03:31 PM
11 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Maybe larger print will help, he said he has a 16cc dish which means his compression is at the very least near 10:1 maybe higher, a zero deck and Felpro gasket which would be common even in a poorly done build and compression is 10.78 assuming 56cc chambers, zero deck .039 gasket.

The 8.25 number he quoted would need 76cc chamber, pistons down in the hole .025 and a stock .049 gasket and that still comes out to 8.29.
He said gasket matched stock heads so the chambers are somewhere between 54-58 depending who you ask which is why I am using 56 as an average.

The only way to get 8.25 with his heads and pistons would be maybe with a rod that was too short for the piston.
Old 07-31-2012, 04:11 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Wicked94z28
Just like the title says, I have a forged 383 lt1 with stock heads, cc xfi292 cam, gasket matched heads and intake with 58mm tb, 1.6 rr's, 36lb injectors, long tubes. And a built tranny....I had all this in my 94 z last year which weighed over 4000lb with me in it and ran a k&n cai, I used to go cinsistant 11.90 with a stock stall trapping 116.88mph with 1.8 60' time.....
Now the new set up is a 95 firebird swapped to a 02ws6 clone with the same motor and now I have a yank ss 4k and have gotten into the 1.4 60 time but its consistant at 12.0(7 passses all 12.0) and now the car uts in also weights only 3550 with me in it and ram air for forced air, I also put a granetelli maf and added a **** load of timing and it still diddent help.. I'm only trapping 110 now for **** sakes lol the motor has 8.25:1 compression and was built for boost but still have got that far yet, trying to figure out what the problem is.......only thing I dident change was the fuel pump because the guy I got the roller from said it already had a 255 and it doesent cut out or anything.......any ideas?
Yeah as far as your car weighing over 4000lbs is not anywhere close to true unless you have a b-body... there scales are off to say the very least... If you are telling the truth and your car cuts sixty foots in the 1.4 that would leave us to guess that your car could run an et of low 11's possibly (thats assuming you have everything working correctly)... mph is consistent with a low 12 second pass so I really dont see anything that off as far as mph/et but your sixty foot doesn't match up at all.. Are you running out of gear and or do you have a trans that slipping? I don't see where your coming up with 8.25 static compression? Just cause someone tells you that, that is what your compression is, doesn't mean it is... You need to go threw your whole car from The Harmonic balancer all the way to the tires and figure out what you have and we can go from there.... So you say your new mods are

1.larger converter
2. ram air
3.granetilli maf
4. more timing
5. maybe 255lph pump

Well I see one thing in that list that would have a substantial improvement over when you had this motor in the camaro.. The converter will help out a ton with sixty foot times for sure.. The ram air is good for some power but realisticly you can't expect much.. don't know about the new maf but if others are saying it's **** and have good reasoning then i'd believe them, your much better taking your stocker and cutting the screen out of it... More timing is a vague statement for sure.. If you already had "enough" timing into it before and you put a "bunch" more into it your'e going to run slower.. Every motor has it's happy medium for how much timing it wants and that is completely dependent on various things such as what type of fuel your running, compression ratio, etc.... and the list goes on.. You really need to play with the timing and see how much it likes. Also as far as your fuel pump you need to pull the sending unit and verify that you have an upgraded unit.. I'm sure it is but there's no point in risking it.. my .02
Old 07-31-2012, 04:42 PM
Teching In

The old Camaro does not weigh 4000 lbs and as a general rule T/A's weigh even more!
Change back to the old TB and tune. Adding too much timing is a bigger loss then having
less. .4 in 60' is a huge decrease, did you change tires? What gear do you have compared to the other car? Was there a converter change? Are you going throught the traps in the same gear and RPM as the other car?
Old 07-31-2012, 04:51 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

OP should at the very least change his username...people are going to confuse us
Old 07-31-2012, 04:59 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Wicked94Z
OP should at the very least change his username...people are going to confuse us
Hahahaha, I won't lie, I thought he was you at first man, then I looked at the number of posts and saw another post by you elsewhere and figured it out lol.
Old 07-31-2012, 06:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Oh DAMN i thought it was U...and wondering why u would be posting this kind of problem! Confusion wooooo!
Old 07-31-2012, 06:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Put a fuel pressure gauge on it to verfiy you aren't dropping pressure at WOT. Put a wideband in and verify your WOT A/F ratio. Have it tuned properly for the mods.
Old 07-31-2012, 08:23 PM
TECH Addict

Received 77 Likes on 56 Posts

wowzers...and I thought I had a stupidly built car
Old 08-01-2012, 10:27 AM
11 Second Club

WoW slit of ppl saying its a stupid build but its eating their cars in the 1/4 and reliable as Hell... I came on here to ask if anyone could help not for ignorant ppl to talk ****... I know it would run a lot better with a 2000$ set of heads, but I have a family I have to support and a big add house payment every month and cant swing them atm...I'm saying my car went 11.9 with trash 1.8 60's and now is going 12.0 with 1.4's.... I used to hit 4th before going through the traps with the same gear and tire size, and now it don't even wind out of 3rd going through, tranny is fine......
Old 08-01-2012, 10:30 AM
11 Second Club

And I hooked up the wideband and its going nuts, I thought I had it hooked up wrong so I checked everything and it wad fine, is jumping from 9.0 to 21.9 , so i just called and scheduled a dynotune for Sunday so hopefully we get it straightend out. Untill then, no racing for me...
Old 08-01-2012, 10:34 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Wicked94z28
WoW slit of ppl saying its a stupid build but its eating their cars in the 1/4 and reliable as Hell... I came on here to ask if anyone could help not for ignorant ppl to talk ****... I know it would run a lot better with a 2000$ set of heads, but I have a family I have to support and a big add house payment every month and cant swing them atm...I'm saying my car went 11.9 with trash 1.8 60's and now is going 12.0 with 1.4's.... I used to hit 4th before going through the traps with the same gear and tire size, and now it don't even wind out of 3rd going through, tranny is fine......
Post your full slip for your best outing and your recent outing. Post up the track and the date/time. What do you think is happening if you went from trapping in 4th to trapping somewhere in 3rd?

Quick Reply: 11 sec stroker is slower now with more mods and less weight!