LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Update on my 383 build

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2012, 09:29 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 96capricemgr
The LT4 was 10.8:1 STOCK specifically building an NA motor 11:1 is just another expression of ignorance.
The belief you needed stroke to have a torquey daily driver another expression of ignorance.
Mileage is not impacted anywhere near what people believe it will be,
Cam lift doesn't hurt manners for a "daily driver". For a DD stroker I would probably do upper 220s intake on a 110LSA lift somewhere up .580 or so, PTV should be checked but would not be an issue compression more like 11.5.

The cast cranks do not hold up though in RECENT YEARS we have seen more failures IMO it is a combination of a change in manufacturing making them weaker and power being easier to make. Thing is mediocre strokers with the cast Eagle cranks keep failing.

Stop and think about it, you can buy a Eagle cast crank for barely more than a local shop will charge to turn a stock crank undersized. That has to say something about how cheaply they are made.

Lots of guys get bent out of shape by my comments and a fair number of them later PM or email me and say something along the lines of "you were right about everything".

My car is not a racecar, favorite track is 150miles away, never been trailered to or from, lightest I ever weighed it at the track was 4155 with me. There is an Impala with the same engine setup I have but lighened and dialed in very well, that car I would call a racecar and it runs 10.9. I am giving up .6 and 6mph to keep my car more street friendly. The cam is more than I would want for a true all weather daily driver but opening up the LSA a little and losing maybe 10hp from that would be all it would take even in my heavy car.
This is my first sbc, and my first stroker build. Definitely ignorant, but trying to learn as much as possible. I built the stroker under the same reasoning ahrichie posted. Went w/ a wider lsa at 114 and lower lift as I previously posted (on recommendation of cam grinder, I was looking along the lines of LT4 top end; I was just concerned w/ changing fuel delivery to it, and thus possibly higher mpg...wrong thinking, maybe, but I didn't have experience there). I think I definitely could have made more power out of it and it would have been a fine DD. I went w/ the Scat cast crank after much deliberation w/ my local shop. Based on what this car will be producing and my budget (and time constraint...if I had more time I would have just saved up and bought a forged crank!), we came to the conclusion it would be adequate. I agree definitely a weaker point in the system. If it snaps, I'll definitely post about it and forever be an advocate of a forged bottom end!
Old 08-15-2012, 06:13 PM
Teching In

getting my funds together for a forged crank... Gonna do this one time and one time only while everything is out.
Old 08-15-2012, 06:45 PM
12 Second Club

Received 46 Likes on 32 Posts

Get that lunati piece that someone is selling in this section for $500, bulletproof
Old 08-15-2012, 08:35 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Nick Ascencao
getting my funds together for a forged crank... Gonna do this one time and one time only while everything is out.
Thats the moto everyone needs to live by Do it Once & Do it Right.... Period!!! Did you go with one of the cranks I PMed ya about???
Old 08-15-2012, 10:08 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by warriorcustoms
Thats the moto everyone needs to live by Do it Once & Do it Right.... Period!!! Did you go with one of the cranks I PMed ya about???
Yeah i want that Lutani crank thats posted for sale lol it will go with my rods.
Old 08-19-2012, 06:23 PM
TECH Resident

Any Update???
Old 08-19-2012, 06:35 PM
Staging Lane

Man some of you guys are real DICKS. Just because he posted 8 times doesn't make him stupid, it means he listens more than he talks(the reason we have 2 ears and 1 mouth). I've been on here 2 years and havent posted much just because some of the guys on this site act like they designed and built lt and ls engines for GM.
Old 08-19-2012, 07:37 PM
TECH Resident

Damn where did that come from lol
Old 08-19-2012, 08:24 PM
Staging Lane

It came from the first page were some douche was being himself way to much.
Old 08-20-2012, 06:11 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by warriorcustoms
Any Update???
no update yet. Buying a forged crank soon from SCAT to match 5.85 rods.
Heads are currently getting the treatment at AI

Quick Reply: Update on my 383 build