LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

LT1 383 Stroker build questions.

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2012, 07:37 AM
11 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

and even with discounts $4k wont build all that nice a stroker.

The quick NA cars be they stock shortblock or stroker pretty easily have $3K in heads, valvetrain, intake, gaskets. That is ported stock not aftermarket which would need porting$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Figure at least $1500 for chinese forged rotating assembly and say another $1000 at the machineshop with their labor and supplied bits like bearings.

You will find few decent stroker builds that come in under $6K if things are honestly tallied and most will be over that I would guess $7-8K being more average with some guys spending more and some of those still getting mediocre results because they listen to the popular forum opinions too much or a retarded machineshop that tells they to stay down around .500 lift and 10:1 compression.

Modding a car is expensive, the only way most of us can afford it is to do a little bit here and there, the guys that decide to dive in with a big expenditure while still novices fail a lot more often than they succeed and end up pretending their 13 second stroker is "good because it has great torque" or some other copout like that.
Old 08-09-2012, 01:16 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I completely agree which is one reason I suggested keep the LT car and build an LS car. A lot of people think these swaps are cheap and easy but once they are in the middle of it something happens and next thing you know, that car sits for a year or a few years collecting dust.

My stroker build is over $10K right now because I took my time and I paid the price for the parts and I did my research. It took me 9 months to gather parts and get everything ready and put it together. I did a lit of appearance stuff too so my price is a little higher than most thanks to powdercoating, custom pieces and engine bay paint, but that only took up a small portion of the price. If you want these things done right, you have to be willing to spend the time and money. If not then you will be VERY disappointed. An LS swap is complicated as well and building it is a lot different than an LT...if you don't know what you are doing, you will end up doing it wrong.
Old 08-12-2012, 05:11 PM
Teching In

Well, thanks for all the "support" guys. The car finally gave up today. I'm buying the ls1 motor and swapping it over after it's rebuilt. I'm doing a stock rebuild until I have a better understanding of everything. I do want to swap in a cam while its out, though. What aftermarket cam is famous in these ls1s?
Old 08-12-2012, 05:24 PM
12 Second Club

You are going LS now. You are officially SHUNNED from the LTx side of the forum! Go to the LS1 side you traitor!!! lmao
Old 08-12-2012, 08:57 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by PaNaRaMuH
Well, thanks for all the "support" guys. The car finally gave up today. I'm buying the ls1 motor and swapping it over after it's rebuilt. I'm doing a stock rebuild until I have a better understanding of everything. I do want to swap in a cam while its out, though. What aftermarket cam is famous in these ls1s?
Time to go to the LS1 section and ask questions my man.
I swapped my car from the 3.4 to the LT1 more than 10 years ago. It's not terribly hard to swap motors.
Plenty of guys have swapped from the LT1 to the LS motors... start reading.
Old 08-13-2012, 12:01 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

that was fast Was gonna help a lil more & about sticking to your guns on a build & youve already jumped ship lol Hope you dont Scrap it next LoL IF you wanna be different build that LT1 Damn Rookie LoL

Quick Reply: LT1 383 Stroker build questions.