LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Anyone ever work at a gas station?

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2012, 07:17 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone ever work at a gas station?

I was just wondering if lesser grade fuel say 87 or 89 octane was sold as 93 octane. I think I got some bad fuel.
Old 08-19-2012, 07:20 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The actual gas station doesn't add the fuel to the tanks.. That would fall back on the guys driving the trucks delivering the gas.
Old 08-19-2012, 07:22 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by lemons12
The actual gas station doesn't add the fuel to the tanks.. That would fall back on the guys driving the trucks delivering the gas.
right. i'm in the fleet business.i know as a fact those drivers can be quite shady...
Old 08-19-2012, 07:24 PM
TECH Resident

I think thats against Federal Law!!! Not to say it prolly doesnt happen. Some stations dont change their water/sep filters like they should either. Hope ya figure it out....
Old 08-19-2012, 07:26 PM
TECH Regular

Just wondering if a gas station could transfer fuel from tank to tank or with the prices these days I don't see alot of people pumping premium. I had to gas up at place I don't usually use. Maybe a little condensaton in their main tank. I added a gallon of tolene and refilled at my usual Shell station and the hesitation seemed to go away.
Old 08-19-2012, 07:43 PM
TECH Resident

They could if they had a pump of there own!!! Cant do it from tank to tank though Hell Ive seen crooks pull up to the fuel tank lids & pump their truck & other tanks full after hours SO anythings possible!
Old 08-19-2012, 07:47 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by 93 LT1 Vette
Just wondering if a gas station could transfer fuel from tank to tank or with the prices these days I don't see alot of people pumping premium. I had to gas up at place I don't usually use. Maybe a little condensaton in their main tank. I added a gallon of tolene and refilled at my usual Shell station and the hesitation seemed to go away.
no, they cannot easily transfer between tanks even with blended grades. what they can do is "accidentally" reassign the grade buttons and prices to the wrong grades. distributors make mistakes and even diesel can get in to a regular tank.
Old 08-19-2012, 07:56 PM
TECH Regular

thanks for the info. The car has been running great but everytime it burps or farts, I think the opti is about to **** the bed. lol
Old 08-19-2012, 08:53 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I read a right up where they tested random stations. And the fuel wasnt even close to what it was suppose to be. So its either where the drivers get it water it down or the station which ever. If my memory server's me right it was 92 was tested and was down to 87 or so. I would think at that rate some phones needed to be called to figure out who was doing it.

That much difference would have blown my motor. Is why I hate taken my car on long trips dont know what the stations really have anymore
Old 08-19-2012, 09:15 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Bigtoyz
I read a right up where they tested random stations. And the fuel wasnt even close to what it was suppose to be. So its either where the drivers get it water it down or the station which ever. If my memory server's me right it was 92 was tested and was down to 87 or so. I would think at that rate some phones needed to be called to figure out who was doing it.

That much difference would have blown my motor. Is why I hate taken my car on long trips dont know what the stations really have anymore
Yeah I agree. I'm on a conservative tune but popping a motor on a nitrous pass because of detonation issues, makes me want to get a barrel of 110 an start mixing my own. But who knows these days, the 110 could be watered down too.
Old 08-20-2012, 05:26 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If your worried about gas, go inside and look at the "shopping" section. That will tell you all you need to know. If its a disaster, IE unorganized, dirty, old products.....you know their fuel is similar.

My fiancé works at a really nice gas station/truck stop and their fuel gets tested every two weeks. I also know their midgrade is just 87 and 93 mixed together. Its all computer controlled so no person that works there is in control of it. They switched to that system because no one buys mid grade, this way they dont have "old" gas.
Old 08-20-2012, 06:03 AM
TECH Apprentice

my neighbor owned a gas station big name franchise and i was told that sometimes the drivers would mix and confuse grades and florida wont let them sell nothing under 500gallons in a tank due to contaminates but people would pull the bags off and use anyway and the next customer wouldnt know till they catch it inside granted his station was very old and sold it when florida mandated all stations to change the tanks by i think 2009 or 2010 forget but he sold it and retired this is the most i know about gas stations lol
Old 08-20-2012, 08:40 PM
TECH Enthusiast

The drivers are the ones filling the Gas Station's tanks. If they don't set the mixture properly, you aren't getting high octane. I just bought a 5 gallon drum of Toluene from the local General Paint store to experiment with it.
Old 08-20-2012, 11:05 PM
Launching!

The drivers fill the tanks yes...but they have a slip of what product they pulled out of the rack (where they get the fuel) and what time it was taken out. Unless the gas station tells them to put 87 in their premium tank (which is illegal) then you should be gettin premium fuel. And also, mid grade fuel is just a 50/50 mix of premium and regular. My dad owns and manages a fuel oil business along with a quick shop and I have been around it all my life. The only thing I get worried about is getting ethanol because some gas stations use that as premium and don't post that it's ethanol.
Old 08-21-2012, 01:31 AM
On The Tree

Wow I would be pissed if I ended up with a tank full of ethanol
Old 08-21-2012, 06:49 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by katz_2003
The drivers fill the tanks yes...but they have a slip of what product they pulled out of the rack (where they get the fuel) and what time it was taken out. Unless the gas station tells them to put 87 in their premium tank (which is illegal) then you should be gettin premium fuel. And also, mid grade fuel is just a 50/50 mix of premium and regular. My dad owns and manages a fuel oil business along with a quick shop and I have been around it all my life. The only thing I get worried about is getting ethanol because some gas stations use that as premium and don't post that it's ethanol.

Let me explain how its done. The driver fills the 87 tank full, then proceeds to fill the 92 tank with the 87 on the same slip. When the 92 tank is almost full he switches to real 92 and makes another slip. He then goes into the gas station and they slip him some cash. All illegal, and I have never seen it done, but I have heard about it from drivers.
Old 08-21-2012, 11:01 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Speedy
Let me explain how its done. The driver fills the 87 tank full, then proceeds to fill the 92 tank with the 87 on the same slip. When the 92 tank is almost full he switches to real 92 and makes another slip. He then goes into the gas station and they slip him some cash. All illegal, and I have never seen it done, but I have heard about it from drivers.
I'm not saying its impossible. Your are correct they could do it this way. Or he cuold not even bother and fill the whole thing with 87 and they could just sell it as premium. What I was saying if the gas station bought premium they will get premium. The gas station will have reciepts showing what product was taken out of the rack and what time it was. Normally the drivers fill up their tanks at the rack then drive straight to your place to unload so they can get back and get another load for someone else. The premium and regular should never be mixed at the rack, thats why they have seperate compartments on their tankers.
Old 08-21-2012, 09:22 PM
duh
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

To the OP, I don't know if you guys might have the same problem, but BP just issued a huge recall in the Northwest IN area....Like 50,000 barrels huge. Caused severe issues in some cases do to a bad batch leaving the refinery. Rumors of upwards of $2000 in repair bills for car owners. Just a thought.

Quick Reply: Anyone ever work at a gas station?