LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

The story of my 94 Z

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2012, 06:59 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, I was really surprised today when I went over to the painter's to check up on the progress. He's ALMOST done! 95% of the painting is done, all he needs to do is paint the door handles & locks, then do a final sanding and buff everything. I am planning on going over there every evening to get the car put back together until it's done. I should have the car home next weekend to spray a little more undercoating, swap out the rear end, and put on the rear shocks, LCAs and SFCs.

It was hard to get a decent picture of the rocker, but no more huge dent!
Old 10-22-2012, 09:36 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by SchaefZ28
I am keeping the stock panhard bar for now since I'm not planning on lowering the car at the moment. I would love to drop it about an inch, but I am worried I might scrape in some places where I drive on a regular basis, and I'm trying to make the car ride good. I figure it's always something that I can just pick up down the road and install it in an hour, so when/if I decide I need one, I'll buy one
I was also worried about dropping mine, I went with the Hotchkis springs. Gave me a 1 inch drop and I love them. Keep up the great work.
Old 10-22-2012, 12:45 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by djjab57
I was also worried about dropping mine, I went with the Hotchkis springs. Gave me a 1 inch drop and I love them. Keep up the great work.
Thanks. Care to post up a couple pics showing your ride height? What shocks are you running, and how does it ride? (compared to stock)
Old 10-28-2012, 08:22 PM
On The Tree

Well I took a trip to to the painter's today. He had the door handles and locks painted and reinstalled. I reinstalled the marker lights and turn signals and a few other small things while I was there. Then I let it idle outside the garage just for the sake of letting it run, and snapped a few pics. We got the hood bolted on, but we're waiting for his son to do the adjustments to make it fit just right; since he's the one who always does that sort of stuff. Just a few loose ends to tie up and I should have the car back home later this week..

Old 10-29-2012, 08:57 PM
Launching!

Project is looking good Schaefer, lots of work in it for sure. Bodywork is coming right along.

The black car I got from your brother had one of those pain in the *** chattering spec clutches in it too, took about a week for me to pull it apart and swap. Rebuilt the rear (bad pinion bearing) and put 4.10's in it and kore 3 c5 brakes, bilsteins shocks, and strano sways on it too. Now there is some issue with the 4 gear collar in the t56 binding up in nuetral with the clutch out. So.. I guess i'll pull it out again and rebuild it.

I really should make a thread like this with all the work I've put into that car but i'm too freaking busy/lazy to get it done. Enough rambling, thought i'd say whats up and give some props/encouragement on your project.
Old 10-29-2012, 09:10 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by ws6t3rror
Project is looking good Schaefer, lots of work in it for sure. Bodywork is coming right along.

The black car I got from your brother had one of those pain in the *** chattering spec clutches in it too, took about a week for me to pull it apart and swap. Rebuilt the rear (bad pinion bearing) and put 4.10's in it and kore 3 c5 brakes, bilsteins shocks, and strano sways on it too. Now there is some issue with the 4 gear collar in the t56 binding up in nuetral with the clutch out. So.. I guess i'll pull it out again and rebuild it.

I really should make a thread like this with all the work I've put into that car but i'm too freaking busy/lazy to get it done. Enough rambling, thought i'd say whats up and give some props/encouragement on your project.
Hey, awesome to see you on here! Sorry to hear that car is still causing problems.. Post up some pics of it, I'd love to see it again. How much of a difference did the strano sways make? I've considered getting a set of those later down the road..
Old 10-29-2012, 09:45 PM
Staging Lane

Nice car. It looks like it's coming along nicely. Makes me want an LT1 Camaro.
Old 10-29-2012, 09:47 PM
Launching!

Strano sways made a huge diff right up there with shocks. If you don't want to spend the cash just get the front, or get umi's. The umi is the same size just not hollow. I also put the billet supports from UMI on the front bar and reinforced the sheetmetal pieces that those bolt to. I also put an MGW shifter in it when I did the clutch and new hydraulics.

The car hasn't been much trouble, i've driven her maybe 10 times in the last year. Fixed the window motor, guides, and dr door hinge awhile back too and a lot of naggy little things etc. Swapped windshield wiper linkage, and finally there are no fault lights on and it doesn't miss . The car and I are getting to know each other.

I'll be near the car next week when i'm off work and I'll try to snap some pics. I'm trying like hell not to do major mods to it like my other car because at some point i'd like to make it a fair weather driver. We'll see how long that lasts when my next bonus hits.
Old 10-29-2012, 10:10 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by ws6t3rror
Strano sways made a huge diff right up there with shocks. If you don't want to spend the cash just get the front, or get umi's. The umi is the same size just not hollow. I also put the billet supports from UMI on the front bar and reinforced the sheetmetal pieces that those bolt to. I also put an MGW shifter in it when I did the clutch and new hydraulics.

The car hasn't been much trouble, i've driven her maybe 10 times in the last year. Fixed the window motor, guides, and dr door hinge awhile back too and a lot of naggy little things etc. Swapped windshield wiper linkage, and finally there are no fault lights on and it doesn't miss . The car and I are getting to know each other.

I'll be near the car next week when i'm off work and I'll try to snap some pics. I'm trying like hell not to do major mods to it like my other car because at some point i'd like to make it a fair weather driver. We'll see how long that lasts when my next bonus hits.
Alright, cool. Do you remember what was causing the miss? I think you're right on with wanting to keep it as a fair weather driver. That's pretty much where I'm going with mine. Even when I get around to building the spare motor, it will be a mild 355 (most likely), built to be driven on the street. I want it to ride nice, look good, sound good, and handle well.

Thanks Stinger
Old 10-29-2012, 10:28 PM
Launching!

Miss was from one of the spark plugs being cracked, the fuel pump was on its way out @ 25psi with the vacuum line off intermittently I might add (reason for long crank times), and the fuel evap canister solenoid had the wrong size hose on it with no clamp (vac leak and lean mixture for cranking). Rock paper scissors to see which one it was on which day and under what operating condition.
Old 10-29-2012, 10:35 PM
On The Tree

Wow, sounded like a mess.. Glad you got it figured out. I think that's the main reason he wanted to get rid of it, because he couldn't ever figure out why it wouldn't run right. It was a damn good lookin' car though.
Old 10-29-2012, 10:47 PM
Staging Lane

You're welcome.
Old 10-29-2012, 11:10 PM
Teching In

Great looking car!! I'm here going to school and can't wait to see your car out on the street!! GL with everything, and I will be watching this until it's all done!
Old 10-30-2012, 07:39 AM
12 Second Club

Received 46 Likes on 32 Posts

That thing looks GREAT! Total transformation from page 1. Just 1 little thing, swap those orange corner markers out with clear ones, or tinted black ones, like mcalus did on his purple one.
Old 10-30-2012, 09:11 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by SchaefZ28
Thanks. Care to post up a couple pics showing your ride height? What shocks are you running, and how does it ride? (compared to stock)
Im still working on some pics, My computer has a virus right now and cant acess my pics
Old 10-30-2012, 09:42 AM
TECH Addict

Found this one still looking for more

Last edited by djjab57; 10-30-2012 at 10:04 AM.
Old 10-30-2012, 10:06 AM
TECH Addict

Since these were taken I went from a 30 on the back to a 40 and the fit is better and fill the space nicely
Old 10-31-2012, 03:22 PM
On The Tree

Thanks guys.

I don't mind the amber turn signals too much on a red car. If I do change them however, it would probably be tinted stockers..

Thanks for the pics djjab, your car looks great! For right now I'm leaving the stock springs on until I get the car put back together so I can find out exactly how it's going to sit. I'm going to be saving the front shocks for a spring project, since I don't want to have to do them twice. I'll be adding sprung weight, with the sound deadener, and subframe connectors and such, so it might sit low enough for my liking.. Kinda doubtful, but we'll see.
Old 11-01-2012, 08:20 PM
On The Tree

Brought her home tonight!

Work starts again tomorrow - hopefully.

To Do List:
Remove rear end
Additional undercoating in rear wheel wells, etc.
Paint stock rear springs
Install: new rear end
rear bilsteins
UMI LCAs
exhaust system
heat shields
all wheel well / under car plastic pieces
UMI SFCs
C5 Z06 wheels
DRIVE

Begin applying the sound deadener
Speakers?
Put the interior back together

Here's some pictures: (they aren't the greatest quality.. I'll use the other camera next time)

Old 11-01-2012, 11:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

any plans for motor work?

Quick Reply: The story of my 94 Z