LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Oil Temp and Pressure Gauge Install

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2012, 05:17 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Oil Temp and Pressure Gauge Install

Okay, picked up a set of Sunpro gauges b/c I know the stock oil pressure gauge on these cars is inaccurate and I want to know how hot my oil is running. I know about the auxiliary location where the OPSU was on the 93s and plan on using that. My question is in regards to using that one port for both sensors. I figured I could get a T and run the temp sensor through the length of it while the pressure line hooked in on the side. Anyone have any experience with this and how well it would work? Any problems I would encounter with trying it?
Old 09-03-2012, 10:59 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Bumping
Old 09-04-2012, 05:55 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

It's not a good idea to splice an oil temp sender in an exposed tee due to the false readings you'll get from the ambient outside air. The probe needs to be fully immersed in the fluid in which it's reading the temperature (similar to a thermowell). This is why you see coolant temperature gauges, etc., have a protrusion that protrudes into the fluid stream. A tee or similar fitting would increase the overall surface area around the sensor and give a cooler reading than actual.

Personally though I really don't see the use of an oil temp gauge. Oil pressure will tell you far more about the health of the engine than temp. Granted it won't hurt to have it but you won't be able to tell much from it.

If you really want an oil temp gauge I'd weld a bung into the oil pan.
Old 09-04-2012, 09:07 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by RamAir95TA
It's not a good idea to splice an oil temp sender in an exposed tee due to the false readings you'll get from the ambient outside air. The probe needs to be fully immersed in the fluid in which it's reading the temperature (similar to a thermowell). This is why you see coolant temperature gauges, etc., have a protrusion that protrudes into the fluid stream. A tee or similar fitting would increase the overall surface area around the sensor and give a cooler reading than actual.

Personally though I really don't see the use of an oil temp gauge. Oil pressure will tell you far more about the health of the engine than temp. Granted it won't hurt to have it but you won't be able to tell much from it.

If you really want an oil temp gauge I'd weld a bung into the oil pan.
I'll buy that. Good info to know.

And I already know Mr. Sleepy is hurting thanks to prior owners, I just would like to have an idea of how bad it is. Also part of why I'm throwing in the aftermarket oil psi gauge, too.

I saw another thread where someone went into the oil pan through the drain hole with their temp sensor. I'm guessing it should work decent well, just would like thoughts on any potential problems with it.
Old 09-04-2012, 06:50 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Well, the lines from the back of the gauges to where they'll go on the motor are too short and I don't have the capability to punch the firewall on the driver side right now.

Quick Reply: Oil Temp and Pressure Gauge Install