LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Edelbrock performer heads?

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2012, 03:05 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by speed_demon24

I would be interested in hearing 1 thing an ltx does as good as an lsx. I was amazed when I got a ride in my tuners h/c Z06 that is likely making over 600rwhp. It had 0 cam surge and no bucking... it drove just like stock but with an insane amount of power, and there's no way in hell an ltx would come even close to doing that.
Block strength and compression are the only benefits to an LTx, but the Pros of the LSx platform far outweight those two perks. Anyone who says an LTx is a better starting platform for any purpose over an LSx is delusional.

This doesn't mean that they can never compete. With enough money I promise you a streetable 600rwhp LTx could be done. Keep in mind LT's were neck and neck with LS's until the aftermarket abandoned them and quality LS part availability skyrocketed. Big Rick was flirting with 170mph trap speeds back in 04 and he was fighting with the LS crowd for the first to run in the 7s and probably would have won if he poured more money into it (not saying he should have, record breaking is a wallet game as much as anything). For example, a lot of those cars on that list are nasty race derived C5R based motors. Big cubes, light blocks, and KILLER cylinder heads. LT1's can only dream about that kind of stuff, our only real option would be converted SBC race stuff but even then most of it is made for larger bore and valve sizes then we can run .
Old 09-14-2012, 03:22 PM
12 Second Club

Received 46 Likes on 32 Posts

Most of the great sbc heads want a 4.125" bore, 4.060 is pushing it on the LT, if there was an aftermarket LT block that could take up to 4.25" bore I think the high compression that we can run due to the reverse flow would put us ahead of all sbcs, and right back in the fight against the ls crowd. But it's a dream that is not going to happen unless one of us LT lovers hits the powerball.
Old 09-14-2012, 03:34 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Been thinkin about all that, Since Im still buildin a 396 LTx!!! Are the Proform Blocks worth a ****??? If they are maybe we could hold a gun to someones head till they make some big bore stuff!! Since Dart backed out & left us all hot & bothered LMAO ALL the motors on the LSx list are over 427 but one lil ole 388 LoL Give us a block that can go from 4.125 to say 4.25 bore & theyll shut the **** up I like the 6.0 in our 04 HD except for 13mpg But they still dont sound like a proper SBC or LTx Hell even the 409 got a block & its ****** older than dinosaur bones LMAO A big bore block & Id upgrade the top end later on But I still need to finish my current junk pile LoL

Last edited by warriorcustoms; 09-14-2012 at 03:41 PM.
Old 09-14-2012, 05:02 PM
11 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

The 409 is nostalgia and meant for old guys who have money. Different market entirely than the LT1.

Your comment about
A big bore block & Id upgrade the top end later on
Is exactly the sort of thing that would kill a big LT block, lots of stupid kids thinking displacement is the only factor and then not completing the engine right making for a bunch of 400+ci LTurds. People would see the mass poor results and the product would not build it's reputation properly.

As long as the LT1 community is mostly kids who will "save" 10% on a project happily getting 30% LESS return on the expenditure and defending that nobody is going to sink a large investment into this platform.
Then like I said before I think part of the reason we have so few heads to choose from is because it is easy to convert to gen 1 heads and their options are probably the widest of any engine ever built. Isn't it Bodix who flat out says $400 and they will convert anything they offer. Money wise if it is that easy to convert why pay for new molds? Especially when many of the serious builds also swap to a gen 1 intake so $400 to convert a gen 1 head actually makes the intake fitment easier.
IMO if the LT1 was vastly different than the SBC and heads weren't easily converted you would see a few more head options but right now the manufactures know that if someone wants their product it can easily be adapted without the manufacturer investing a dime in molds.

Far as the 6.0l and mileage what people fail to consider is the 4L80E and 14bolt probably have a lot more to do with that than the displacement,
Old 09-14-2012, 05:58 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

LoL My ****** Dart Pro 1s would suffice for now, Even though AI or Lloyds not porting them!!! & at 40 Im not a punk *** kid!!! Ive worked at Borg Warner & GenCorp buildin parts for these cars when they were new So its sentimental!! The only reason I said Upgrade the Top End Later is because Ive still gotta 4L80E to build & S60 to buy Im not a rich ****** but bet when my cars done I will smoke that boat of yours LoL
Old 09-15-2012, 07:18 AM
Village Troll

Received 536 Likes on 388 Posts

Originally Posted by Puck
Keep in mind LT's were neck and neck with LS's until the aftermarket abandoned them and quality LS part availability skyrocketed.
I disagree. I believe the LS aftermarket took off after porters actually found out how to get more flow out of an already superior head. For quite awhile the LS crowd did nothing but cam swaps because it became apparent even a LS ported head at that time was not producing anything better than what the stock head was capable of. Lots of cams were designed around the stock heads with excellent results.
Old 09-15-2012, 08:17 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by SS RRR
I disagree. I believe the LS aftermarket took off after porters actually found out how to get more flow out of an already superior head. For quite awhile the LS crowd did nothing but cam swaps because it became apparent even a LS ported head at that time was not producing anything better than what the stock head was capable of. Lots of cams were designed around the stock heads with excellent results.
I include porting improvements with "quality part availability"...
Old 09-15-2012, 08:57 AM
Village Troll

Received 536 Likes on 388 Posts

I'll break out the decoder ring next time I read another one of your posts.
Old 09-15-2012, 01:03 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

something to be said for flow matching everything in your project. even mild setups can be a real bump. and more drivable
Old 09-20-2012, 07:45 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I am curious has any one used a set of ported Edelbrock heads? I mean comparing Stock ported heads to Edelbrock unported heads isnt apples to apples. I get that you are far better off just porting your stock heads from a cost perspective though. I am just curious if any one has actually done that and was wondering how they preformed.
Old 09-20-2012, 08:38 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

^^^ I saw a thread on here or cz28 about a guy that had some. It was kind of the same thing, he got a good deal on them but had LE port them. I don't think he said track times but it had poor dyno numbers witch was the reason he made the thread.

Quick Reply: Edelbrock performer heads?