LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Start my car with out the water pump?

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2012, 07:47 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Start my car with out the water pump?

Just installed my opti.
Can I start the car with out the Waterpump in?
Im guessing I would have to put the harmonic balancer and connect the Icm back in??
Old 09-21-2012, 07:51 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just dont let it get hot!!! A few seconds wont hurt anything.
Old 09-21-2012, 07:55 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by warriorcustoms
Just dont let it get hot!!! A few seconds wont hurt anything.
ok so i dont have to install harmonic balancer, icm, or coil? just dont let it get hot?
Old 09-21-2012, 08:17 PM
On The Tree

we'll you'll have to install the icm and coil or it wont start
Old 09-21-2012, 09:00 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by goldylocks
we'll you'll have to install the icm and coil or it wont start
Of course you have to install the ICM I must be getting tired.
Well it started but but had to crank it for about 2 seconds. Better than before Im hoping because nothings hooked up yet is the reason for the delayed start up..
Old 09-21-2012, 09:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 25 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by xxRONNIExx
ok so i dont have to install harmonic balancer, icm, or coil? just dont let it get hot?
It would really impress me if you were able to start the car without the ICM and coil.....

And I seriously don't recommend you start the car without the harmonic balancer.
Old 09-21-2012, 11:13 PM
10 Second Club

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Do it all the time. Hell started one with the front cover off to check cam timing once. Maybe we should not have drank so much that night but I was right
Old 09-21-2012, 11:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Front cover off, balancer off, when i did my opti. Good way to find out if it is going to run, so u dont have to pull it all apart if u have a bad one. U will have some vibration so dont really rev it or run it long enough to get it hot. Less than 30-45 sec should be fine. Just pretty much let it idle...with minimal Blips of the throttle.
Old 09-22-2012, 11:06 AM
11 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

How did you mount the opti with the front cover off?

Far as the slow crank OP that was likely because the MAF, IAT were disconnected.

I have seen guys say they left the damper off after putting underdrive pulleys on and drove for some time so I really don't think a few seconds at idle without the damper would hurt anything but at the same time it is three bolts and if you clean everything up it is easy to R&R from the hub.
Old 09-22-2012, 07:10 PM
Launching!

Well I got everything up and running fine. My water pump is leaking at the bottom where the hole is. Im going to put some tubing there and direct it away from the opti until I can buy a new WP...
Other than that the opti was the problem
Old 09-22-2012, 08:55 PM
11 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

what about the opti was the problem?

People like to leave a cap and rotor on indefinitely and then when it fails blindly blame the opti. On a 94 you have an unvented setup, if the cap and rotor were dead then an MSD cap and rotor with the VENT setup they add would have been a great solution/upgrade.
I wonder how many optis corrode(primarily an unvented issue) or just heavily worn(both styles) and then maybe the spark arcs through the optical sensor looking for ground and that causes an "opti failure".

I really wonder how many $300+ optis have been bought because the internet opti hate overides common sense about any distributor occasionally needing just a cap and rotor.
Old 09-22-2012, 10:14 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 96capricemgr
what about the opti was the problem?

People like to leave a cap and rotor on indefinitely and then when it fails blindly blame the opti. On a 94 you have an unvented setup, if the cap and rotor were dead then an MSD cap and rotor with the VENT setup they add would have been a great solution/upgrade.
I wonder how many optis corrode(primarily an unvented issue) or just heavily worn(both styles) and then maybe the spark arcs through the optical sensor looking for ground and that causes an "opti failure".

I really wonder how many $300+ optis have been bought because the internet opti hate overides common sense about any distributor occasionally needing just a cap and rotor.
In some of my previous post I wrote that I was having problems with my car dying while Im driving, then having a hard time starting it back up. So I did some of the obvious. Change the ICM and coil. Still would die while driving.
Finally took it to the dealership so they could run codes...while driving they got a code 36.
Which basically meant opti or a bad opti-harness. So I replaced both and car run fine...

Quick Reply: Start my car with out the water pump?