LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Was cutting out. Tried to diagnose ignition and now it wont even turn over.

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2012, 01:26 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Drove it to school early so I could have a buddy crank the engine for me while I was diagnosing the system.

Checked white ICM wire, was about 1.6V while cranking.

Went to re-check and the car wouldn't crank. Now the starter solenoid just clicks. Battery is at 12V, ignition coil (large wire) going to the opti at 12V.

Went to go check the oil but the MSD coil is different than factory. Only has 3 wires, 2 of which are supposed to test out at 12V, one is ground, and one is the ignition wire which should be between 1-4V AC.

I don't know what the hell to check for this no start?! The starter was replaced 2 weeks ago, the battery is giving enough juice for a start. The relay is clicking along with the solenoid when the key is turned.

I fiddled with all the wiring I could reach while my friend would try to fire and nothing worked. I don't understand what the hell is going on when the engine cranks fine once and the second time its dead?
Old 10-23-2012, 01:59 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Sounds like a potentially loose wire on the starter or intermittent contact.
Old 10-23-2012, 02:17 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by RamAir95TA
Sounds like a potentially loose wire on the starter or intermittent contact.
It does, but I tightened down the wiring on the started well. Like I said while my friend tried to crank I fiddled with every single connection I could get my hands on and nothing.

I'm at my wits end
Old 10-23-2012, 06:05 PM
TECH Regular

Got the car running with a bump start. I'll have it in the air tomorrow and see if any of the wiring came loose from the starter.. I just put it in 2 weeks ago, if its toast I'm going to be pissed

Luckily I still have my stock working unit to swap for now.
Old 10-23-2012, 09:38 PM
TECH Regular

I bump started it and during the first 20 mins of the drive my SES light was gone!!!!

It came back but no cutting out, voltage was higher than normal all the way home staying at 13.5. I get home and shut it off, then try to crank it and it fires right up!

Tomorrow morning I'm going to see if anything is going on with the starter, this is so f***ing strange.
Old 11-04-2012, 04:17 PM
TECH Regular

Ok I have been having to get by for the time being cause of this hurricane and me being out of town before it happened. I will get back to trying to diagnose what is going on as its getting worse, backfiring after every other shift and it stalled twice on me today.

My problem is that I'm not sure what to test and whats in spec because I have an MSD opti and coil, the coil only had 3 wires and a different connector compared to the stock one which has 4?

Does anyone have any experience with the MSD ignition so I can try to figure this out? I *could* just throw money at this and buy a new opti/ coil and whatnot but I'd really like to learn to deal with electrical issues better.

Thanks guys.

Quick Reply: Was cutting out. Tried to diagnose ignition and now it wont even turn over.